Sign in to follow this  
Earl_Buice

FLYII working well with Vista on computer that has no video card!

Hi guys,Now that I have your attention. I can't believe it either! But it is true!My old rig came down with a bug which turned out to be a video driver issue. But at the time, I needed a computer to work emails etc for business. My old rig wasn't coming around and I had little time to devote to repair, so I bought an Acer AST690-UP925A. It has a 935 D core duo 3.2G processor, 1G RAM, Intel 946 3000GMA on board graphics, on board sound from Realtech and Vista Home Premium. Well, once I got through the important business, I decided to try FS-x. UNBELIEVABLE! It works! OK, not as well as one of the monster machines, but I didn't expect it to fly at all, with any setting. I get 20's and 40's FPS in rural areas and 6 -22 around cities, etc. Aircraft slider all the way right! others about 1/3 for the most part.Here is the part you guys want to hear about. Not much to tell really, I put in the CD and it started installing FLYII, no errors. I installed the patches, no errors. Installed the Global patch, no errors. At this point I expected to try to run FLYII and have it crash my new computer. No, it didn't. FLYII came up with FPS in the 70's!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!! I applied a few tweaks, etc. Put in my old FLY.ini and even my render.ini. No problems. I eventually tried the scenery sliders, all hard right!!!! other aircraft at 1/2. Still getting in the high teens and twenties except at LGA. Got the 4FPS bug there...My main point is FLYII worked with Vista with no problems. The only thing is, it won't let me run in 8T&L mode. I have to run in DX8.Sure would like to know how to get some anti aliasing going. Is there a setting in FLY.ini to turn it on? The Intel 946/3000GMA doesn't seem to offer any AA.Take care guys!Earl

G'day Earl,Mate don't take my answer as definitive but as far as I'm aware there is no anti-aliasing setting within Fly! II. I couldn't find any reference to it in Fly.ini but just like MS-FSX config file you may be able to add a parameter to handle it. I can only suggest you get into the graphics driver ( even an onboard chip I think would have to have one) and see what you can do.Do a bit of research on Google.Good news indeed to see Fly! II working on Vista but I've only just installed XP on my new machine and Fly! II operates at warp speed. Cheers,Roger

Hi Roger,Thanks for the reply. I'll continue looking into it. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a video card or a whole new setup pretty soon. Thanks for all you do to keep FLYII going.God bless,Earl

Hey Earl, Good to hear Fly! II is working within the newest OS. Don't count this as gospel either, but - methinks virtually most all video settings are dependent within the RENDER.INI file - based upon the video card / drivers. AA is not handled in the render.ini, and latest nVidia drivers now give it to either hardware or software controlled setting in the software proggie's setup program. So I would check within the computer BIOS settings (just like some of the older AGP settings were found), then check intel's site for more updated drivers and whether or not they have AA settings within. If the video is built into the motherboard, my first inclination is to say you will not find any AA settings for it. Hope this might help a little. Cheers!Ken Wood :-sun1Gateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Hey Ken,Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I agree, I don't think I"m gong to be able to find anything. I posted here hoping someone might know of something that would help the jaggles. They really aren't too bad, but just wanted to check.Obviously, I need to get a card or a new computer set up for simin'. Its just that, I had to have a computer for work so I bought this one at Walmart for pretty cheap. I had no idea it would even work for FLYII or FSX. But I installed them and they run pretty well. I'm just amazed!Thanks for all you do for us to keep FLYII alive and well. I think Richard would be proud.God bless,Earl