Sign in to follow this  
Fall_guy

Help with error Windows message

Hi Everyone,Just installed FltII on my New pc (Windows Vista) with all the updates and patcehes and Ive had No problems whatsoever.However when I make changes to the Fly ini file ......... it won't let me SAVE the file. I recive the following:Would you like to replace the Fly.ini? YESCannot create the C:Program FilesTerminal RealityFly!IIsystemfly.ini file.Make sure that the path and file name are correct.As windows is completely NEW to me if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd appreciate any help.bye the way Im just double clicking the original Fly.ini file and its opening in NOTEPAD from where I make the amendments and attempt to SAVE the file (ive also tried SAVE AS). but with the same error as above.Many ThanksJohn

Hi John,I am still a little unclear myself as to why this is happening. It has to do with the extra layer of protection built in to Vista. What I do until I can understand the problem better, is to open the file, make my changes and then hit the "save as" selection rather than "save". I choose the "My Documents" folder or somewhere I can remember easily to save it in. Then I go back and cut from that location, go to the correct folder, back up the original file, then paste my new file replacing the original.I know this is a lot more than we are used to but honestly, it has saved me from making mistakes a couple of times already.hope this helps.Take care and keep FLY!ngEarl

Hi EarlThanks for That..................Ive copied the original ini file to the desktop, made the ammedments, SAVED the file and then replaced it with the original ini file and it works fine.So I can crack on with updating flyscripts and C4TO.Kind RegardsJohnP.S. if anyone is reading this when the TAB key is pressed and it displays data.........is the FPS figures at the bottom centre of the screen the actual FLY frames per second rates?

G'day John,Sorry to hear about the problem with Vista not allowing you to resave a modified file. That doen't sound right! I'm currently modifying files like crazy and there's no way I would attempt to make an aircraft using Vista if that's the case.Just a quick note. Did you check to see if Vista has reset the attributes of the files in the Fly! folders to "read only" ?? Check the folder display properties.>P.S. if anyone is reading this when the TAB key is pressed>and it displays data.........is the FPS figures at the bottom>centre of the screen the actual FLY frames per second rates?NO it's not !! FPS is displayed in the lower RIGHT corner of the screen. To get it to display you must set -allowDebugInfo=1in the Fly.ini in the system folder. Now when you TAB the FPS will display. Cheers,Roger