Sign in to follow this  
Guest chezz123

infometar

Guest chezz123

Does infometar still works in FLY2. I tried downloading metar and I get this message "Access failed:Reason unknown (The weather server maybe down or overloaded)"...Any help will be much appreciated.chris_CA

Guest Mats_Frisk

Hi Chris!Yes, infometar is still going strong in Fly2. I use it frequently. But I do not use it to download any metars. I do a "manual" download of metar files from ROTW homepage (they have a real nice site) and then I use infometar to view, change, thin.....the weather file before using it in Fly2.Mats

Guest chezz123

Hi Matt,Thanks for the info. Before I can download weather using infometar but I 'm not sure what happen that I can no longer download the way it used to be with the error i mentioned in my first post. Maybe somebody or Davis the author of this wonderful utility can shed light to this.chris_CA

G'day Chris,If you read the threads - howdy all and discussing Fly2K - lower down you will see that the site where the weather information is held has changed. That's why the program errors out as the URL is hard coded into the program. David Sandberg (author of Info-metar) has also hinted that he may be tempted to update info-metar if there is enough interest from simmers. Info-metar still works fine if you download the metars separately first.Here's hoping ... Cheers,Roger

Guest chezz123

Hi Roger,Thanks for the info. Can you tell me how do you download the metar separately first? What program or utility I have to use? Do i have to use infometar to do these? Forgive my ignorance. I hope David Sandberg will have time to fix this.Thankschris_CA

Guest DSandberg

Yes, I do intend to update InfoMETAR to address this recent change to NOAA's FTP site's URL. I don't think the fix for this problem will be difficult ... but it's mainly going to be a matter of when I can find the time to update InfoMETAR to compile under VS.NET 2003, which is the only Windows compiler I have installed right now. (InfoMETAR was originally built with VC++ 6.0.) I already tried building it once with the newer compiler, and unfortunately there were some nasty problems, so it's going to require me finding some extra time to figure those problems out before I can even think about addressing the NOAA FTP change.Thanks for expressing your interest in an update! Until that happens, you can use your browser, or better yet, an FTP client program to access the following location:ftp://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/data/observations/metar/cycles... and then download the TXT file whose name corresponds to the UTC hour you are interested in. You can then load it into InfoMETAR via File/Open for further processing ... or you can just use the downloaded file directly in Fly2 if you like.David Sandberg

Guest chezz123

Thanks David,I hope you will find time to update infometar. FLY2 is still the sim that I use.chris_CA

Guest DSandberg

Just an update: I haven't had a chance to spend much time looking into this InfoMETAR FTP issue yet. However, I certainly haven't forgotten about it, and after a few more weeks I will most likely have some extra time to devote to coming up with a resolution for the issue.Thanks for your patience! :)David Sandberg

Guest chezz123

Hi Mr. David,Thanks for the info and for considering patching infometar so we can automatically downlad metars again.chris_CA