Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Nvidia driver corruption.....

G'day Brian,>Let me back off on my last post! I have just read your post to >another thread.... I did not realize I was using the wrong fps info. >Now I have set "allowdebuginfo=1" and get the true frame rate. I >find that this rate does vary with dynamic scenery (with 20 acft and >in a max rate turn = about 9 fps) ... but still does not appear to >change with any of the other settings... it maxes out at about 35 >fps, even with Terrascenery ...or no scenery.At the time you posted this I was blissfully unaware that I had the same problem. However last night I had reason to go into nVidia Centre to change some settings and to my horror found that after making the changes and then starting Fly! II I found that the changes I made had absolutely no effect on Fly! II. To cut a long story short I ended up going into control paneladd remove programs and uninstalled the nVidia 93.71 driver, re-booted the computer and re-installed the nVidia 93.71 driver. Now everything's working again as it should. How did it get corrupted??? dunno :-) I would never have known the driver was corrupted if I hadn't decided to make the changes in nVidia control centre.This may also be your problem.???Cheers,Roger

Guest 3cffts

Hello Roger:It seems that I solved this problem in a similar way! While I was trying to improve the graphics display quality of the Nvidia card to the same standard as my old Radeon 9600XT, I installed a later driver for the Nvidia ... Version 94.24 ... and now the frame rates appear to vary in anything that I have checked. I run with everything maxed to the right and a couple of dynamic acft and get great frame rates .... very smooth movement of Terrascenery in the tightest of turns. Adding a dozen other acft does give very slight jerkiness in display of scenery in max rate 85 degree bank turns. Formation flying with dynamic acft over the mountains is great fun!I still plan to try an ATI video card instead of the Nvidia to see if the graphics detail is better.Cheers, Brian.

G'day Brian,>I still plan to try an ATI video card instead of the Nvidia to see> if the graphics detail is better.I think you may well have the same problem with the ATI card. One of the major complaints about Fly! II textures was the lack of colour depth which tends to make the texures rather dour and dark.TRI reduced the colours by one bit (or something like that - I'm not too good on the technicalities ) just to save CD storage space. There is a program "texture enhancer" in the library which restores colour (depth, brightness, vibrance - call it what you will) to the Fly! textures.A word of caution - If you decide to use "Texture Enhancer" then back up the original textures first. From memory I think an increase of about 20-25 % was considered by most as the best improvement.Good luck in your quest.cheers,Roger

Guest 3cffts

Hello Roger:My colours are light and vibrant because I have used the texture enhancer and set it at +35% so I am happy with the colours. With the Nvidia card, when at 1500' AGL or lower the road and railroad edges are noticeably more jagged and fuzzy than they are with the ATI card. The streets in the towns are also much more distinct ... this is all Terrascenery. Also, for some reason I have not figured out, the medium range scenery is also noticeably more distinct with the ATI card ... the whole impression I get is that the ATI card produces more a realistic display.I understand that ASUS is bringing out a new ATI chip on their video cards at the end of this month, along with more silent (no fan) cards. The old 1650XT card with the new chip will be the 2650XT. I will try for another silent card as I do not like a noisy computer. The only problem for me with a computer tucked under a desk is keeping the CPU temperature below 48 degrees C. To solve this problem I cut a 4" diameter hole in the top of the desk, above the back of the computer, and sat a 4" Zalman silent case fan over the hole. That, along with enlarging the ventilation holes in the back of the computer case, where the case fan exhausts, has reduced CPU temperatures by about 5-6 degrees.Cheers,Brian.