Sign in to follow this  
Guest 3cffts

Fly II stopwatch

Guest 3cffts

Hi all:Has anyone been able to get the stopwatch function of any digital clocks to work. The nearest elapsed timer that would seem to work is on the Bell 407, but it causes Fly II to crash!Cheers,Brian.

G'day Brian,Tried out the digital clock in the Flyhawk on my new computer XP pro os. No problems it worked just fine.I'll have a go at describing the function/operation.The digital clock has four controls.The top control toggles OAT in the upper level of the display.The three controls at the bottom (left to right) are :-(1) Select button(2) Set mode select/control(3) Control buttonButton (1) cycles through the four different time functionsUTLTFTETThe current selection is UNDERLINED.Button (2) is used to INITIATE altering the selected (ie. underlined) time value.Button (3) increments the flashing digit and button (1) accepts the new value for the digit and moves on to the next digit.Once all four digits are set button (1) reverts to the cycling ofUTLTFTETAll four times can be set.ET (elapsed time) is special. It can operate in either count-up or count-down mode.As a stopwatch - count-up mode. (default)Button (1) select ET and 00:00 displaysButton (3) starts stopwatch.Elapsed time is now running and you can use any other time function of the clock and ET will continue to function. (but will only display if you have ET selected).To stop the stopwatch make sure ET is selected. Use button (1) if necessary. Button (3) will now reset the stopwatch to 00:00Press button (3) again and the stopwatch will restart. To use ET as a count-down timer.Button (1) Select ET and 00:00 will display.Button (2) to initiate setting the time.Button (3) to change digit value and button (1) to accept that value and move on to next digit.Once the time is set (ie all four digits accepted) cont-down mode AUTO-STARTS.If ET is selected then Button (3) will now terminate the count-down and reset the stopwatch to 00:00 and reset the mode to COUNT-UP MODE. Press button (3) again and the stopwatch will start in count-up mode.Wow that's evolved into a rather long winded reply, sorry mate but yes the digital clock does work.The watch could be improved by freezing the time when the stopwatch is stopped rather than instantly resetting to 00:00 , but that's no big deal.regarding crashes I did once crash Fly! II when testing, but it was my fault really. Just pushing buttons haphazzardly can confuse the poor old thing but once you get the hang of using it there's no problem - famous last words :-)I hope this helps Cheers,Roger

Guest 3cffts

Hello Roger:Many thanks for your checklist for using the elapsed timer function!I am wondering if my original copy of FlyII (patched to 2.5.240) is the same as yours. Whenever I set the time for count-down, as soon as the count-down reaches zero - FlyII crashes! So I am not able to reset it. It does work in the count-up mode, but when I reset the time to zero (00:00) and press button 1 - FlyII crashes.I do have two original copies of FlyII. The one I currently have installed was of the first batch originally published, I believe. The second copy includes builds up to 192. Maybe I should install it and patch it to 240.On the subject of timers, I cannot get the timer on the NAV radio to work! - I think old age must be setting in! I press the transfer button for two seconds and the standby freq setting disappears, but the mouse will not set a time for count-down. Does yours work o.k.?Cheers, Brian.

G'day Brian,So much for my beta testing skills! :-lolHey! don't go doing anything stupid like reinstalling Fly! II.I can confirm that if allowed to get to 00:00 on count-down then Fly! II crashes, but if if button (3) is used to reset then it doesn't crash and ET can then be used in count-up mode.I have to urgently go out now so I'll not have time to check out the crashing due to button (1) but I think it will as I didn't test that.I'll also have a look at the nav radio panel later tonight when I get the time.Sorry for the misleading info. :+Cheers,Roger

G'day Brian,I have just finished a complete check on all 4 timing devices in the Fly!Hawk.Summary:The ONLY way I can crash Fly! II with the digital clock is to let the ET in COUNT-DOWN mode reach zero (00:00)> but when I reset the time to zero (00:00) and press> button 1 - FlyII crashesI cannot reproduce the above. This works fine for me.NAV-1 and NAV-2 timers :-Works flawlessly as per book.>I press the transfer button for two seconds and the standby freq setting disappearsWhat we in the trade call "finger problems" :-)You are in STBY FREQ mode. You must be in ET mode to set the timer.If you subseqently toggle the mode selector the time display will come up ready for setting.The mode selector cycles 4 functions -frequency select - default modebearing TO vorradial FROM vorET timePress the mode select button 3 times will put you in timer mode (count-up ) and display 00:00 .The transfer button is now used to start/stop reset the timer.Any time the timer is reset to 00:00 if you hold the transfer button for 2 secs you go into set time mode and left/right clicks of the mouse over the frequency control knob will set the time. (experiment)Count-down operation will start/stop on pressing the transfer button. Timer in the ADF panel.Works as per book with one difference. There is only count-up mode.No count-down mode.OK that's all the timers covered. Only the one error as far as I can see. Don't use count-down mode on the digital clock.As a final matter of interest. Did you patch your Fly! II installation up to #210 before applying the #240 patch?Cheers,Roger

Guest 3cffts

Hi Roger: My goof! Many thanks for your help. My finger has got me into trouble again! My NAV radio timer works as advertized! Yes, I do have patch 210 installed. I could try button 1 again, but instead will use the nav radio timer for ADF approach timing. No point in using the digital clock when it crashes FlyII. Cheers, Brian.