Sign in to follow this  
KenWood

Georg! Fly! II and Linux ??

Hi Georg, Read your post under the Fly! Legacy post, and wish to be sure that what I read was true... that Fly! II will run on Linux under Wine??? Of course the biggest question would be that if it is so, do the aircraft that require dll files work as well, or would it be like under a Mac - where aircraft such as Seawind which require dll files not work? I am curious because I've been having some rather upsetting issues with the latest XP setup (although I admit, my HDD is most likely about to die a horrible fate!), and were I able to use all my aircraft (not just Seawind) under Wine and Linux, I would very quickly switch over.Thank you for whatever info you might provide on this ( I am a Mandrake / Mandriva Linux fan myself).Best regards,Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Ken,what I can really say is that FLY! II in the patched version 240 (latest version) runs very fine on my OpenSUSE 10.2 64-bit Linux system with AMD Athlon 3700, 1 GB RAM, NVidia 6600 GT 256 MB.Due to my time-consuming scenery development for FlightGear AND lacking HD space I have just a basic FLY! II install with some add-ons (ie ATR 42-500) and I did not install the ROTW DVD and all that very nice add-on scenery I still have saved on CD/DVD. I will do so after getting a new 300 GB HD within the next months.What I did this European evening/night was to download your Seawind from AVSIM (Version V1, I hope I got the newest one), install it (it is the same procedure for FLY/Wine as for FLY/Windows - all stuff except the *.dll files into the Aircraft folder, *.dll into the Modules/PC folder) and test-fly it.I made some screenshots with the build-in FLY screenshot mode (in a quick and ugly way as it is only for demonstration, not for eye candy) and put it on my website so that you might compare to the orignal (Windows) display.http://home.arcor.de/vollnhals-bremen/FlyWineSnapshots/(click on the preview-pictures to get the bigger ones)What is lacking is the display of the landing light *on the ground* and there is the scenery "blinking" through the instruments/panel gaps a little. Not sure if the last is the same on windows.As you are interested, I will do some more testing within the next days/weeks with some other add-on aircraft and might be with a/some ROTW sceneries. I will report here.Believe me, although I am a very active member of the FlightGear community and doing a lot of work for it, I am very, very happy :-)) that I can use FLY! II with Linux. My heart is big enough for 2 flightsim love-affairs.Any further questions? Just ask me, not sure I can help but I'll try.RegardsGeorg EDDW

Hi Georg,Thank you so much for showing the basics. I can see the panel is an old one, so I must update the AVSIM library with the latest work. There is still some minor bleedthru in the panel. Steve and I have been unsuccessful in getting rid of all the pixellations, but the newer panel looks a bit better. One of these days I will get the colour matching of all gauges completed (I hope!). My main concern is if the latest dll files work - but if you are using the ATR with all files in their folders and it is working correctly, then my question on the dll files is answered!Yes, there is always room for at least two sims, IMHO. I have three - Fly!, Fly! II, and Flight Unlimited III. ;-) I will have to take another look at FlightGear - see how far it has come along since I looked at it oh what - close to two years ago.Thank you again, Georg. I will get a repackage done of Seawind and see about getting it into the library soon.Best regards,Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Ken,I will have a look at the AVSIM file library to get the newest version of the Seawind as it really was fun to fly this bird after a long time.Although it seems that FLY!/Wine is working fine with the *.dll system I will do some further tests with special aircraft, ROTW scenery and the Python system. I am just curious after you asked me to re-discover things I have forgotten over the years ... This will last some time due to heavy workload on the job but I will report my findings here.I hope to get that 300 GB HD soon so that I can reinstall all the many GB of FLY! II stuff AND also try the saved FLY! (I) things under Wine, not sure if it works as I never tested it until now. There are such nice sceneries and aircraft which never got converted to FLY! II.As for the FLY! II/Wine OR FlightGear, I don't want to make much noise on this list as it is not related to the FLY! stuff discussed here. Please feel free to contact me at any time via private mail at "heliflyer //AT// arcor //DOT// de" if you want more precise information or have some questions. It is especially important if you want to have a look at the actual FlightGear development as the last official version is very, very old. We are using a CVS system to keep up with the ongoing development as well for code and data. Therefore, please get some important hints from me, how to get an actual FG copy.And to say, I never saw FLY! II and FlightGear as rivals, in contrary I am still hoping that there will be a Blender to FLY! II exporter some day. I would like to convert my Northern Germany scenery work to FLY! II. It is free for FlightGear and it should be available for FLY! II.All the best to youGeorg EDDW

Guest angels355

Hi Georg and Ken,It is nice to hear from both of you. Georg and I had a discussion about linux and flight sims some time ago, and Georg got his going. Myself, I wound up buying more 98se licenses, and haven't gotten a dvd writer yet to burn an iso image of Ubuntu/Kubuntu or Mandriva. I'm leaning toward ubuntu. Wine is an interesting program, there is a higher level version of Wine so to speak which is payware by Transgaming, you have to pay something up front I think then pay a monthly subscription fee of some sort. I wrote to them maybe a year ago and they said that they had not tried their product with flight sims. W/ regards to Fly!2K and XP, I have such a setup running and it works fantastic, and the colors are very intense. I don't know about Fly!2 yet however as I haven't gotten it yet. I have Fly!2K running on Win98 first edition also, it works perfectly also, except that that computer is too slow for Fly!2K, it's ok for FS98 but even with a processor upgrade, and trying to shut off the onboard video card and using an excellent pci video card, it's still not working well. I just installed Fly!2K on a faster 933 mhz pIII w/ 128 mb video card which runs FS9 very well and good settings using 98se. But I may have to post a topic for help on that, I'm getting an error that says Directx6 3D driver error, D3DERR_Elifino: an unknown D3d Error Occured. I haven't put the V88 patch in yet.Ken, I didn't know that you are a Fly! developer?! Wow, Fly!2K was my first flight sim so I still admire it very much. I was hoping that putting it on this faster computer I might be able to check out some heavy Los Angeles scenery which shuts down my mid level Fly!2K computer, it runs the Seattle satellite scenery very well, but crashes to the desktop when I approach the LA scenery addon. Myself I like Win98se a lot, the only problem with it is that, while it will address 1 gb of ram, I've been told by one of my buddies that MS states on their website that over 512 mb's of ram 98se becomes a little skittish. Since I'm using 512 mb's of ecc rdram ram which is more rare and expensive unless you hunt down some used ram, I haven't experienced that problem much. I did have my other computer w/ 98se up to 768 mb's of ram for a short while, 15 min's, but didn't have time to test it much. Putting in a bigger video card made a much larger difference.As for Linux, it is safer on the internet, according to zdnet.com Windows has 236,000 threats on the internet, Linux 700 (because corporations use Linux so they still get targeted w/ malware), and Apple's OSX 10.4 has 7--SEVEN THREATS TOTAL! I have a friend w/ OSX 10.4 for four or five years and he has never installed an antivirus program and he's never had a a problem! My 98se this year came down with a rootkit in six months on the internet. Ubuntu/Kubuntu is supposed to be one of the sweetest Linux versions, but it is around 4.5 gb's for the iso image download, so you have to put it on a dvd. It can be run as a live disk trying it out from the dvd drive without the need to actually install it, so you can try it out that way w/o risk. Or you can install it to the hdd. Or there is virtualware you can get where you can run Linux w/ Windows side by side at the same time, although this arrangement slows down Linux quite a bit I've heard. One of my friends has listed some references to Virtualware software, let me know if you would like me to look this up and I'll post his links here.I think 98se is a fantastic OS, it is extremely skinny, and fast, has DX9.0c and WMP9. Its' only drawback is that it won't use ram over 1 gb. For Linux speed freaks there's a special Linux distro that is extremely skinny, you only add on the components needed for your exact hardware so it is the lightest possible, I believe I read about that in either Maximum PC or Smart Computing, can't remember the name of it. I think however for a full blown OS that's huge, and most similar to XP probably Ubuntu is the way to go, I've been told it is really sweet.My problem is that I have to be patient for more hardware, I've been intending to get Flightgear, and Linux, but have to wait for more hardware. I've also been intending to get Fly!2 and the ROTW dvd disk(s), and MS FSX. I didn't want to get it before because I didn't like that activation programming, I was really upset about it, plus I'm a goodie two shoes, honest Abe, so I never circumvent such things, I play by the rules. More recently I've come to dislike the piracy coming out of China and Russia even more, so now I think I'll get FSX and live with their activation programming, as I dislike those pirates even more. But still have to wait on those until the budget is better.I hope that both of you are doing well!!

Hehehe - well, not so much a developer - as a "hack it til it works" type. All I can say is I've been with Fly! series since it came out, and still prefer it to all others. Am finding it getting more and more skittish though - with each upgrade (security or otherwise) of WinXP. And this is becoming quite bothersome. Of course, some of it may be due to the age of my HDD (approaching seven years) which is now having some fits. Not really heard of Win 98 having problems with more than 768mb of ram. I should have thought the more ram the better in all cases... the main problem Win98 had far as I recollect was with the size of the hard drives. The ram recognition was more aligned with the BIOS and CPU capability, if I recall. My main preference is Mandriva (Mandrake) - although I found S.U.S.E. for ISO download and will be getting those for a test run in near future. But am going to set up my one extra computer with it and see how things progress with Wine. Hope this finds everyone well!Cheers!Ken Wood :-sun1Gateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

Guest angels355

Hi Ken,It's good to hear from you. I use a simular method for repairing/upgrading my computers, "mind melding" in the Vulcan way, until I figure out the problem or get an upgrade to work. I bought a truly awful computer for $7, used the fair hdd in another computer, then replaced every part in the computer except the motherboard and floppy drive (the power supply is on the way out) using garage sale components costing 0 to $5 each. I've been using it as my internet computer, it is faster/snappier than my 2ndary internet computer. I almost got Kubuntu live going on it last night, but have to put in a dvd drive that's fully working, not 50% working.Have you got that cube-like browser gui with Mandriva? That's cool. I spoke to some Ubuntu experts last night, they said that Wine stuck with Linux/opensource code, while Transgaming split off using Unix BSD which doesn't have the opensource license. Unix is cool, I'd like to try out BSD, I've heard there's pcBSD, openBSD, and others I think.W/ regards to your Fly and XP updates, I don't doubt that at all. I had a very advanced 98se plus the latest nvidia driver for the fx5200 and it would not work. It's working now on a similarly advanced 98se plus the more friendly tnt2 nvidia card and driver even though it's a smaller video card. One of my friends has one of the most exciting FS9/XP installations around, it is ultra fast w/ super high frame rates. She did this using two basic methods, an EXTREMELY skinny xp which uses either the first base xp or only sp1, any way it is as skinny as possible with only a few processes running. Secondly she has a 2 year old computer w/ maybe 2 gb's of ram, and a 1 gb video card (speak softly and run a big video card!). Any way, nearly no one else has come close to her stunning resolutions, imagery, and ultra high frame rates. The point is, although she does not and could/should not take that on the internet, it is one of the highest performing FS9's around despite the age of her computer. So, if you don't have to take your simulator computer on the internet and can make it dedicated to the simulator, then it is better to have xp as basic as possible like the base xp or sp1, just the very very basics. Obviously you can't do that with FSX which requires sp2, but it can certainly be done with fly!2, and I think it would even work better with the skinniest xp possible. I like xp, I have fly!2k on xp and the colors are stunningly rich despite the very modest hardware.As for your hdd, uh boy, that sounds like trouble to me. I had three hdd failures in one week! All Maxtors, but my WD Caviars that are 1.7 to 2.5 gb's, very old, are still running strong, this computer is using a WD Caviar which I think is 2.5 gb's. Set me back quite a lot however, $2.50 I think--heehee! Any way, I would recommend getting a new hdd that is a quality brand, and put your simulator on that. And while you're at it, if you can use that computer, if you WANT to that is, don't want to tell you to do anything you don't want to do, if you can make that a dedicated flight sim (fly2) computer you can use the skinniest possible version of xp, plus of course DX9.0c and WMP9 or 10 (some magazine writers recommend against getting WMP11), and that will make fly2 a really great performer. You could use the questionable hdd as your internet computer hdd. And remember back up everything!!! One guy who had a hdd failure had not backed up his hdd, and he mentioned that some day he'll have someone extract that data out of it at the staggering cost of $2,700! I asked a super tech is that figure accurate, and he said, yes, that's what it costs! So, back up your data now while the hdd is still accessible, and is cheap to back up. We have found cdrw disks to not be really great for backing up data, because other cdrw's are not always cooperative in accessing the data, cdr's are better, I'm not certain about dvdrw's but I'd guess that dvd-r's would be better. When the technology gets too fancy, sometimes it doesn't travel well. With regards to LONG TERM data archiving home burned cd's and dvd's do not stand the test of time, according to a physics report not too long ago, they are composed of thermal plastic which the laser burns the data on that thermal plastic. Analogous to printing on thermal paper, have you ever had a thermal paper printed receipt, and over time the receipt can turn black due to heat? Same thing with home burned cd's and dvd's. For the long term a hdd for storage works better for long long term storage, either internal or external (some ide hdd's are not always easy to plug into every mobo). That physicist also says magnetic media lasts a long time, but I've had degradation of music and video cassettes over time for some strange reason. In the future there will be holographic optical data storage, there's one on the market now but it's $15,000, and the disks cost up to $125 each. Hopefully future holographic storage drives will use more stable media for long term storage. So, I would highly recommend you back up your data on that old hdd for safety, and perhaps use it for less important tasks, and back up everything. There are some very low cost hdd's out now that are also high performing. But make sure you buy a quality brand because I've heard from several people who have had hdd failures with hdd's that were not very old at all, just a year or two old and already failed.I have to get Fly2. I have a lot of simulator ambitions but sometimes I have to be patient for hardware and my budget. I got my new Fly!2K installation working on a 2nd twin computer that is using a tnt2 video card plus 98se instead of the fx5200 card. Only problem now is I have null zones where the plane disappears, I'll figure it out.Take care.

Guest Steve Brown

Hi Guys :-wave Wow its been a long time since I was last here!I hope everyone is well and enjoying Fly! III just re-installed Fly!II but havent had time to test it yet.Will chat with you all soon.Steve

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi Steve,how are you? Hopefully doing well,too.Remembers me at the old "Dauphine" days :-)And I think this is unique for a flightsim community - it seems that a lot of the "veterans" are lurking in this forum.Would be nice to hear more of you ...RegardsGeorg

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi,if anyone *REALLY* wants to use FLY!II and WINE then this information might be valuable:Due to the ongoing development the actual Wine version seems to be broken for FLY! II. So use an older version which works perfectly, ie:Wine 0.9.44.20070905 - 11.1from Wednesday 05, Sept 2007There are always regressions in the Wine versions due to new development , but some time later it is polished out.I will stay tuned to inform you.RegardsGeorg "Heliflyer" EDDW

Guest Steve Brown

Hi My Friend :-wave How could I forget you :-) I think the Dauphin was one of my last repaints, and yes I do hope to pop in here a lot more.Take care and we will chat again soon.Im off to Gelsenkirken, Germany on monday to stay with my Brother in law, so will chat on my return.All the best, Stevehttp://img165.imageshack.us/img165/8086/wr...badgeks8fs5.jpg

I don't believe my eyes!! :-eekSteve!! You old Astronaut wanna-be!! :-lol Hope you are doing well!Still reeling from Mother's passing back in March, still job hunting, and now my step-brother is going through a bout with cancer, so down in south Georgia again helping him. Needless to say, 2007 is shaping up to be the worst year of my life so far!Do drop an email at my yahoo account.. You should have it still, I hope!Best regards to you and the family!Ken Wood :-sun1Gateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

Guest Steve Brown

Hi Ken its so good to hear from you :-) Still thinking of you mate, I sure know how hard its been for you over the past year, you have had more than your fair share. And now more bad news for you :-( I sure hope next year brings you into good times ;-) yes I still have your address somewhere, will have to dig it out. Will email you soon.Been keeping busy myself with my Photography. I just got back from Germany, then Im off to the South of France in January. Yaaay! lol"Astronaut Wannabee" he he he yes its been a few years since I was last at NASA. Had planned to go back last year but everything fell thru. Lack of monies and backing lol.Anyway take care and hope to start some more work in Fly2 soon... if I can remember what to do ;-) Your friend, Stevehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/180527.jpg

Guest angels355

Hi Georg!How are you doing? Have you tried out ReactOS linux? It is supposed to be like Wine only the whole operating system from the ground up, I think it's supposed to be able to use xp drivers also. I've been wanting to try it but I only have dialup and have to wait for a creative way to download it. I've tried out Ubuntu 7.10, it's really nice, I use it to edit photos with Gimp. Duh, I haven't figured out how to install the dialup modem driver yet however.Hey guess what, I just got Fly!2! I have only had Fly!2K up to this point, it's really nice I like it, have two units of it. But I just installed Fly!2 and wow, it completely exceeds my expectations! I was reading the FAQ's for Fly!2 and OOPS! I couldn't wait, had to go flying before installing the patches, darn! So now that I've gone flying in it before applying the patches, I guess I have two choices, either uninstall it and reinstall from scratch then install the patches, or install the 240 patch then delete the hst and reset the aircraft, sounds easier to just reinstall from scratch. Any way, wow, I've flown so many hours in fly!2k and MS FS, fly!2 is a stunning surprise, wow! I'm too tired/sleepy to do anything ambitious, so I'm just going to continue to fly around for now, then I think uninstall and reinstall and patch later. I tried installing fly!2k previously on this computer, I got excellent frame rates and everything, however I kept getting dx errors, I've got dx9 and it was saying that I was having dx6 errors I think. I gave up and reinstalled on an excellent pII/pIII right now running at 300 mhz. The computer I have fly!2 on now is a pIII 933mhz w/ fx5200 128 mb vram 512 mb rdram and win98se. It is running perfectly so far.Will fly! and fly!2, and fly!2 v88 aircraft work in fly!2? One of my favorite aircraft is the Rob Young Lear 35, which is a v88 plane. Now I have lots of downloading ahead of me! Perhaps I should install a 2nd hdd!?Georg, how is Flightgear progressing? You have been working on German scenery right? Would you mind posting a screenshot of some of your German scenery?KEN!How are you? I'm sure sorry for your loss, and I hope that your brother is going to be OK. I have a couple of neighbors who have fought cancer, both of them had very tough bouts of it, and both of them have come through OK. I think they both had radiation and chemotherapy. I just thank God how much medicine has advanced.Fly!2 is an astonishing improvement over fly!/fly!2k, I'm getting really excited about Fly! Legacy.

Guest HeliFLYer

Hi angels355,first congratulations for your new Fly! II. This is really a BIG difference to the old Fly! version(s) - I still have my Fly! (I) and a lot of add-ons for it :-). You will need A LOT of sparetime until you have tested all Fly!II addons, aircraft and scenery. Enjoy!Nice you remember our discussions. I will come back within the next days to the other questions you have, simply because I am actually on call for 24 hours this sunday, just came back from work and I do not know what the night will bring for me. And of course, tomorrow the normal work goes on :-/But I will answer your questions with great pleasure.RegardsGeorg EDDW