Sign in to follow this  
Guest Max Cowgill

Rumors of My Death Have Been Greatly Exaggerated

Guest Max Cowgill

One more thing: Paul, you, as an owner of (several) Athlon CPUs should be pretty familiar with their overclockability (I know you oc'd your Tbird as well as your current Pally) how high do you think I can push this CPU with just the retail hsf unit and Crucial PC2100 CL2.5 RAM on this Soyo K7V Dragon Plus? I started at the stock rating of 133MHz FSB and just kept bumping it up by 1 or 2MHz until I've reached my current 148MHz FSB setting = 1.63GHz CPU. It seems as though this thing just wants more!! The CPU is an "AGOGA" and I think I've heard this was a good overclocker's release but I could be wrong. I'm amazed that with no extra system cooling (psu has a fan, northbridge has a small hsf, cpu has retail hsf and there are no other fans on other components or in the system whatsoever) that this system has been 100% stable for me. No instabilities or abnormalities that I've run across yet, and the system idles at 48 or 49 C during 99% of usage (haven't tested under FS2k2 yet). Do you think I can hit Athlon XP 2000+ speeds or higher? I know the only way to know for sure is to try it and find out but I'd hate to fry yet another system component :-lolMax Cowgill

I have a K7V driving my XP1600 but never tried OC'ing before. I thought you had to "unlock" those chips before OC'ing them...is that not the case?Thomas LinTaxiwaySigns.comVolunteers (testers and designers) needed, please visit the site for information

Guest Max Cowgill

Thomas, it is not necessary to unlock the multiplier of the CPU to overclock, you can simply raise the FSB speed in your BIOS. That's how I o/c'd mine (133->150).Max Cowgill

Guest Wichita

Save yourself $80.00 and buy a card from NewEgg.com instead of BB. The G4 4200 can be had for $219.00 w/shipping and will perform just as good as a 4400 in FS2K--and the card is a Gainward,one of the best performing cards out there.If you've never bought from Newegg don't worry,as far as mail order companies go their the best. I've bought stuff from them several times.David

Guest Max Cowgill

>Save yourself $80.00 and buy a card from NewEgg.com instead >of BB. I would if I still had a credit card or checking account ;) I hate buying retail, but I don't have the luxury of being able to buy online anymore. Also, I'm an impulse buyer and *hate* waiting. I need immediate gratification, especially when it comes to shelling out several hundred dollars at a time.Max Cowgill