Sign in to follow this  
The Milkman

INFOMETAR 1.02 RELEASED!

Guest DSandberg

Ah, you beat me to it. Yes, it was just uploaded today, and AvSim was very quick to get it posted. Very observant of you, and well done to AvSim. :)For anyone who is interested, here's the full list of changes in the new version:[ul][li]Updated METAR download to use new FTP location (recently changed by NOAA).[li]Added option for user to set a different FTP URL (in case NOAA moves it again in the future).[li]Added parsing of additional METAR elements, some of which came into use after the release of InfoMETAR 1.01:[ul][li]NDV = no directional variation - indicates visibility only checked in one direction[li]NCD = no clouds detected[li]NSC = nil significant clouds[li]// = doesn't report weather types[li]/// = doesn't report cloud types[li]////// = doesn't report clouds at all[li]PL = ice pellets (current designation; PE is no longer in use but still recognized by InfoMETAR if found)[/ul][li]Added parsing of multiple directional visibility elements for international METARs.[li]Changed "Find ICAO Code" dialog and menu item to "Find Stations". In that dialog, added filtering of station list by components of each ICAO code or descriptive name.[li]Added automatic identification of Fly II installed location (for determination of default save folder).[li]Recompiled ICAO station database with corrected location data for KNKX and PGUM.[li]Compiler optimizations enabled for newer processors.[li]Added help menu item to launch developer website.[li]Minor help file updates.[/ul]It's still freeware, so enjoy!David Sandberg

Guest ben_

Thanks for the update.DL the world weather, found a cloudy spot, turned off the remove clouds under rain option and found nyself in low viz - very nice atmosphere.ben

Guest DSandberg

Sounds good!Yeah, the "remove clouds under rain" option has always been kind of a trade-off. It's very useful if you like your visibility to be obscured by raindrops on the window when it is supposed to be raining in an area, and if you are willing to sacrifice a few "scud" clouds to make the rain more consistent. The alternative is to have the scud clouds present, but have the rainfall be very spotty. That's just how Fly! and Fly!2K work ... rain only falls when you are flying directly below a cloud in the lowest layer.I don't know offhand if this was fixed in Fly! II, although I have my doubts. If it was indeed fixed, then the "remove clouds under rain" save option should always be left off for Fly! II usage. Maybe I will give that a test run one of these days, since for the first time I now have Fly! II working well on one of my machines. :)David Sandberg

Guest Mats_Frisk

David, Many thanks for this update!/Mats

Guest ben_

Thanks for the background and the update.I think this is when Fly!11 looks great - wispy (sp?) vision :-)Thanks againben

Guest chezz123

Thank You Sir now I can use real weather and have some fun.More power and blessingschris_CA

Guest DSandberg

> I think this is when Fly!11 looks great - wispy (sp?) visionCool. Conversely, I always preferred to actually see the rain falling when I was simming. This is why I wrote InfoMETAR with so many options (probably too many for some people's tastes); rather than trying to force specific weather decisions onto users, I wanted InfoMETAR to be sort of a generic "METAR wrench" that could adjust weather data to whatever degree each user preferred for their own flying experience.On that note, I suspect there are capabilities in InfoMETAR, even dating from version 1.0, that few if any users have explored. I'm toying with the idea of making a video for SimTube at some point to describe and demonstrate a few of the more obscure "tricks" one can do with METAR data in InfoMETAR (even though I didn't see an appropriate SimTube category for such a video ... it seems to be all in-flight video categories).David Sandberg

Guest ben_

...On that note, I suspect there are capabilities in InfoMETAR,even dating from version 1.0, that few if any users haveexplored. I'm toying with the idea of making a video forSimTube at some point to describe and demonstrate a few ofthe more obscure "tricks" one can do with METARdata in InfoMETAR...sounds a great idea to me.ben

Guest DSandberg

Chris,Please email me at mystic_fm@excite.com so that we can work through some possible causes.David Sandberg

Guest 3cffts

David: Many thanks for your updated InfoMETAR! Your work is greatly appreciated and really does add to our 'Flying' fun! Brian.