Sign in to follow this  
Stonelove

Returning fly guy

Im sorry but i dont think any flight sim can beat fly's flight model. Only real flyers can fly fly! :)Now i can get back into IFRs who cares about scenery, Fly's scenery is not that bad if you just want to do serious work anyway.

You know, some times I get nostalgic and start looking up old things. One thing in particular, software. I remember the hoopla for the original FLY! and I still have that free t-shirt they gave people that bought the simulator. That was a long time ago. Yeah I just wore that t-shirt this week, its worn looking and my wife wanted to throw it out years ago but I refused to let it go. It says "I fly tri" on the back and has a Cessna on the front. I googled the old FLY! domain and the sim and there doesn't seem to be much out there. But good ole avsim has a forum for it. Thought I would take a momentary break from MSFS and be nostalgic for a moment. Reminisce. Been trying to get back into MSFS seeing that I haven't been in a real single engine in over a year (Last flight was my BFR) and with my two young boys (still in diapers) I don't know when I'll ever get back into a real plane due to time and expense. But I love my flight simming (not the config file tweaking and testing - bah!!)So I guess I'll poke around this forum and see what there is to see, maybe I'll find something of interest. Hey maybe I'll shoot over to youtube and due a search there too.Have fun FLY!rs!http://www.lemosnet.com/misc/gpilotsig.jpg

Hey guys,For fun over X-MAS I installed FlyII on my laptop - dual core, nvidia 7400. I downloaded all the planes on Avsim, downloaded all the sectionals. Was able to utilize FSBuild and the new AutoMetar - it all just worked - great frame rates, nice models - I really like the Hawker. I wish there was one that nice for FSX. Also the panels are so well done.I have really been enjoying it these last few weeks. When I got on the FLY kick, I also downloaded the new version of Flight Gear - both the X86 version and the auto boot Linux version. Comparing them both FlyII really was nice - and I continue to fly it now. Flight Gear is also good - I wish that FLY would have been released to the community.There are some good tutorials on Avsim for how to use the FMS and also optimize the display settings to make the world more realistic. I think it is still a viable sim - and does not require a really ultimate gaming rig like what I use for FSX - a quad core, 8800 GTX SLI system with 4 GIG of Ram. A simple laptop gets it done with great framerates, a sweet built in vector map (nicer than FSNavigator IMHO) and the killer sectional maps.B.T.W. I also still have my TEE Shirt - if reality had a patent we'd own it.Just a side note - I was so much getting into it, I contacted PMDG to try to get the FlyII 777 but no joy. They suggested Regsoft / digital river but they no longer carry it.... Oh well.FLY still lives.Regards,DavidAustin, TX

Hi David,There's still hope, then! Chris Wallace and a few (if not most!) of the ROTW team in France (and probably a few from the Fly! community I'm not aware of) are working on a project known as Fly! Legacy. Pretty much open source and begun by Chris from scratch. Not sure the latest progress on it, but they have a Wiki page and source files for those brave enough to test a fledgling at the development stages. Check through the forum and do a topic search for Fly! Legacy and you should find most of the info needed to check it out further.Cheers!Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

>So, whats the reason for the demise of FLY! the simulator?>>I havent been up to date on the whole thing. They just stopped>after II?>>Finances & the creator, Richard Harvey passing away.L.Adamson