Sign in to follow this  

The future of Fly!II for Mac ...

I posted this in the General Forum: Until now we have always asked Rich/TRI for improving the Mac version of fly! If I understand well the post of Rich, Apple could help in a substantial way to make FlyII for Mac much better ....Why do we not join together and confront Apple with these facts?They boast themselves about Fly!II, - why not tell them what we Mac Users think about it and ask them for real help, not only publicity?- By the way, I can't afford to buy a G4 for Rich, but I could contribute to it if other MacUsers would join ..smilie(':)')Max

Max,Not to give false hopes, but there is a chance (albeit small) that I might be able to snag use of a G4 for a couple of weeks around the end of this month to use in my home. If this is the case, in the least I'll be able to get the Mac patched up to the current version 230. I'm also going to attempt to move cockpit drawing into a separate OS window so I don't have to use OpenGL to blit it, and fix the backwards RGB problem in the SDK.Rich

Guest nycflyer

Rich,Thanks for the glimmer of hope!I've been considering buying a PC just for FLYII to get reasonable performance, and I've been a mac guy all my life. -----------------------Scott CannizzaroKTEBG4/400 - Radeon32 - 9.22

Thank you very much for your information, Rich! MacPeople are optimistic , so I'm looking forward to your "Mac episode" ... I hope you are well, - it's always a pleasure to here from you.Max

Rich,Thanks for the effort, no matter the outcome.Pete

Guest ftessler

Rich,That would be, as my kids would say, "awesome, dude!" :-jumpy I didn't know you still did any Mac programming. Is there anything that the Mac Fly! community can do to help?-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerG4/500Fly! for Mac Forum Co-moderator

Hi Rich,It would be really great if you could do this! I don't have Fly!II for the Mac, but we really want to be able to release the DC10 for the Mac as well as the PC, so if you could just fix the RGB issue, even that would be a massive step forward for us. :) Thanks for your support.Matthew.

"I didn't know you still did any Mac programming."Well, technically, I haven't done Mac programming since Terminal Velocity. This means I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to OS X. However, the issues I am aware of shouldn't require me to have too much knowledge on the OS X side; I believe my fixes can be done mostly between Fly! and Apple's OpenGL implementation.Remember that I'm a Mac old timer. I bought a 128K Mac within about 6 weeks of it's original launch (around March/April 1984), then owned a FatMac 512K, MacPlus, Mac SE/30 (still one of my favorite machines), Mac LC 520 (with Apple II emulator card), and Mac 660AV. By the time the first PowerMacs came out, I was working on them full-time at EDS (my employer at the time) doing client/server systems but I never had a PowerMac at home. Terminal Velocity was my first and only Mac product I programmed at Terminal Reality, but it gave me a good chance to delve into PowerPC assembly and do some other neat things (the Apple Game Kitchen in Chicago was a blast, and I had attended about 3 of the annual WWDC conferences -- I was lucky enough to hear Alan Kay give a presentation on future technologies.)Rich

Guest ftessler

Hi, Rich.I remember you saying a couple of years ago that you and a few other people at TRI were Mac fans from way back. I fell in love with the Mac when I first saw it at a computer store in L.A. in 1984. It didn't get my first one until later that year, when UCLA finally set up a purchase program for faculty and students. Again, please let us know if there's anything we (the Mac Fly! community) can do to help.-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerG4/500Fly! for Mac Forum Co-moderator

Hi Rich,Really great that you are willing to take a look at FlyII and maybee make an update!:-jumpy But I wonder, why does TRI itself does not come up with this solution? Or MacSoft? Becouse they are the people who have to take care of these things.Well thanks again And ghood luck learning the PowerPC code.Koen

Koen,The simple answer is that it costs six-figures to run the team even for a single month, and we currently have no funding or contract to do any work/updates/fixes to Fly! II from any of our publishers. If we were contacted by MacSoft with interest in funding a patch/update cycle, it is something TRI could reasonably consider. Otherwise, I have to do this entirely by myself with help from the community.Rich

Guest jrewing

Rich,Getting a patched version would be great! All of us in the Mac community really appreciate all of your efforts.John

Hi Rich,Have to say it again, it's great that you are prepared to take a look at Fly II for making an upgrade. :) I have a question though. If you find the time to make the update, will modules like SquawkBox, witch has been made for the PC, also work also on the mac?Happy flying and programmingKoen