Sign in to follow this  
Fall_guy

Requesting APPLE's support for FLYII

MaxI will be assembling the system myself once all the parts arrive but its still in the mail. Here are the specs for what I wanted in a Gaming PC (your mileage may vary) :-)Soltek Motherboard with 512 meg of 333mhz DDR Ram and 8X AGP Support in a Midtower Case with 300W power Supply.20X 10X40 CDRW AMD 1700 XP ProcessorGeforce 4 Ti 4400 with 128 meg w/TV out :-eek10/100 Network cardWindows XP HomeWireless keyboard and mouse so I can keep it out of the way,and a monitor switch so I can share my 19" monitor with my MacThe whole set up set me back just under $1000 but this ended up being a high end PC(other than the processor). I could have done it for under $600 if I would have stuck with a Geforce 3, the Standard SDRAM and my Windows 98 Disc from VPC.Luckily all of the peripherals I bought for my G4 were USB so I can cross them over as needed so give Apple credit for being a leader in the Firewire, USB Department. I will still be using my G4 for everything else (like posting on Avsim) and I use one all day, every day at work so I truly hope that eventually the Apple Hardware will become as powerful as the Mac OS has been. RegardsPaul Paul GollnickG4/400 Radeon OS9.2.2:-cool

Paul,I too have been coming to the realization that sooner or later, a gaming PC is in my future. My DT G3 is still up to the task of everyday computing so I cannot justify a new Mac to my Minister of Finance (Wife). A $1000 bucks is still a bitter pill to swollow but it is still cheaper than going with even the low end PowerMac. I'm going to keep your PC stats for when I do eventuly go over to the DARKSIDE. Pete

Oh believe me, the cost of the PC will pale in comparison to the price I pay to appease the Minister of Finance for this but you only live once, Right. As long the G4 works for Ebay, she's Happy.By the way, I am really looking fwd to flying some of your repaints with the FSAA cranked up. Any chance of you doing a Northwest 757 for PMDG? Also loved the America West repaints from FLY2K as well. I will keep you posted with some numbers and pics once it is up and running.RegardsPaulPaul GollnickG4/400 Radeon OS9.2.2:-cool

Paul,Would be nice to see some of the repaints with your 128 megger. I've done AmericaWest Arizona, Old Colors, Ohio, and I'm in the midst of doing their current livery. Nevada is on the list and maybe a couple others. I'm doing this all on my Mac without benifit of even using their '57, so maybe one day I'll actually use these myself. I'll do the Northwest if no one else does it before I'm done with the AW series.Pete

Well Rich,It's good to see that at least someone at Apple is reading these messages!They need to know that they're on the verge of losing customers to the PC side --- and you know the old saying, each dissatisfied customer tells 10 others about their experience.For me the only thing -- the ONLY thing -- to keep me from jumping ship is for Apple to take some agressive action.I will not tolerate another year of -- will this work on the Mac? When will it be ported over? How come performance is so much poorer on the Mac than the PC? ad nauseum. I like my iMac but I'm tired of this aggravation! Buy ANOTHER Mac? Fool me once Apple, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.Frustrated.-RickPS - Sorry Rich I started this addressed to you then went into a diatribe about Apple. I don't for a second fault your work and support of us Fly! users both PC and Mac. :-wave

Guest ftessler

Rick,Even die-hard Mac supporters like me have wondered the same thing. But every time I've thought of switching to Wintel, spending some time with the NT boxes at work has sent me running back to the Mac. For my day-to-day work, it's just so much better.Still, that doesn't negate the disadvantages that the Mac suffers as a gaming platform. As I've said here before, it's impossible to reconcile the statements about Fly! II on Apple's Web site with the sim's real world performance, especially under OS X.And, although it should go without saying, I'll add this anyway: I'm thrilled at the effort that Rich is making to try to improve things for us Mac users. -Franklin ------------------------------Franklin TesslerG4/500Fly! for Mac Forum Co-moderator

Franklin,Agreed on all counts.Kindest Regards,-Rick

Dear Richard,Thank-you so much for remaining on top of these issues. Whatever the outcome, your efforts are highly appreciated !Jeroen----------Fly! II 2.0.216 Mac versionOS 10.1.3,. 832 MB RAMG4/400

Franklin,Did you do anything special to get Fly! II to run under OS X? Whenever I try to launch the sim, it errors out . Should I reinstall it in the same partition as OS X?Pete

HiI just purchased Fly! II for Mac a few weeks ago and it runs sluggish on my 450Mhz G4 Cube 832MB of RAM w/32MB Radeon. I originally had MacOS 9.2.1 running but I formated and reinstalled all my software and upgraded to MacOS 9.2.2. Fly! II seems to run a frame rate or two faster under 9.2.2 but under 9.2.1 the point at which the sky and horizon meet was blurred and now it's not and you see a jagged line the whole time as the horizon. I have all the settings the same as before and have tried other settings but it never blurs like it did before. It looked better before. There was like a fog that is now gone, and changing the maximum distance from say 60 to 40 just moves the jagged horizon closer to the plane, whereas before the blurriness moved.Is this part of the OpenGL problem that you guys have been discussing here or has anyone else noticed this on their systems? There is little if no support for this on the internet anywhere that I have found, so this forum is a bright light of hope.MacOS X is still not ready in my opinion so I don't know how it runs under X, when 10.2 comes I might try then.On a side note, my stepfather just bought a GeForce 4 Ti 4400 128MB for his PC yesterday, he's getting around 90fps with his Real Flight G2 R/C simulator now, before he was getting around 30fps with a TNT 32mb card. He claims there is world of difference! ThanksSteve

Guest ftessler

Pete,It runs fine (well, let's just say that it runs :)) on my G4/DP 800 with 10.1.3. I didn't do anything special during installation. Fly! II is on a separate hard drive.-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerG4/500Fly! for Mac Forum Co-moderator

Steve,I don't have a cube. But I can tell you that I've tried every Mac OS from 9.0 to 9.2.2 in combination with various versions of OpenGL, CarbonLib, and ATI drivers. For me, I've gotten the best results with OS 9.2.2, OpenGL 1.2.2, CarbonLib 1.5, and ATI's 1.1.1 driver. I have only bare-bones control panels and extentions running and 278 MB of RAM allocated to Fly! II. I'm getting between 12 and 15 fpm over generic scenery but much less when approaching areas or airports with lots of models. I'm no expert... but your problem sounds like a monitor resulotion issue. I have mine set to 1024 x 768 with millions of colors.Good luck... Rich@LEWBeige G3 233 MHz DT rev.1 G4 400 MHz NewerTech upgrade OS 9.2.2 384 MB RAM ATI Radeon Mac (PCI) Thrustmaster FCS/WCS

Guest nycflyer

I just thought I would share some comparisons since I just put together a basic PC.I inherited a P3/500 MHZ with 64MB ram. I added a GF4 MX 64 MB vid card. My frame rates are already at about 13 front view, and some exterior views are above 30! There's another line in the frame rate window now to show rates in the 40's!Also the 230 version of FlyII looks very nice at night with stars, working landing lights, and airport approach lighting where appropriate.I can't wait to change over to a 1.8Ghz P4 with a decent amount of ram! I'm actually having fun!The parts are actually pretty cheap... check pricewatch.com if your interested.I'll keep you all posted.-----------------------Scott CannizzaroKTEBG4/400 - Radeon32 - 9.22

Paul,Have you assembled your new gaming PC? I've been pricing a Dell 8200 Pent 4 system with everything I think I'd like to have and it's around $2200, including a 19" monitor, CD-RW/DVD Combo drive and the 128MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4 card.I know I can put together a cheaper system, but I'm not up on PC hardware, this is eaiser, and it's covered for a year.Pete

Just wondering how many more of us have to switch over to PC's, before Apple WAKE UP!!!JohnDC10 Project