Sign in to follow this  
Guest joea

flying manually with A/P on can put you in jail ...

Barry,Humans are capable of gross mistakes as the accidents quoted here clearly show. They are also capable of major dereliction of duty. Because how else would you classify this incident at Anchorage airport, barely a few months old, when China Airlines senior captain well familiar with the airport decided to takeoff in his Airbus from a taxiway ! It happened at 2 am on a clear night so granted there were probably few other airplanes around. But taking off from a taxiway which by the way was too short and placed almost perpendicular to the runway he was cleared for ? Where was the copilot ? Upon rotation their wheels hit some puffy snow embankment - there was practically no pavement left in front of them. What were they thinking that no one will see them ??Both pilots have been suspended. I would hang them by their ba***Michael J.

Hmm-- as I am about to travel from Australia to London and return by Korean Airlines -- I sincerely hope that the aircraft pilots have at least as much understanding as I have of how an autopilot operates!!!! :) That is - that either the autopilot flies the aircraft or I do -- but not both at the same time ---- Pretty basic understanding hey!!Barry