Sign in to follow this  
Guest jrewing

Going over to the Dark Side ...

Guest jrewing

Well, it's true. Not only have I started using a PC-based simulator, it's not Fly.I decided to get Elite Version 7 for the PC. While the scenery is nothing like what FlyII offers, the IFR simulation is much better. It has a bunch of features and I'm still exploring.The GPS simulation is excellent and that alone was worth the price of admission. There are a variety of GPS units to choose from and you can load and execute actual GPS approaches, too. I occasionally have access to a 172 with an Apollo GX60, so Elite will let me learn how to use the unit before I get in the plane (saving me a lot of $ in the process).Elite's map feature is very handy for practicing approaches as you can just drag your plane to the desired position, specify the altitude, heading and airspeed and you're good to go. The map also drops "cookie crumbs" that record the track you flew, both plan view and profile view on an approach.You can also program various failures to occur randomly or within a specified time range. This is one of the main reasons I got Elite - to simulate vacuum failures and partial panel situations so I'm more practiced if it happens to me for real in the air.Interestingly, Elite now offers an MD-80 package. Guess they started feeling some heat from FlyII and MS.That ends my confession and I hope the Mac Faithful will forgive me ...;-)John