Sign in to follow this  
Mac_Paint

Radeon Update Out

I gave the new Mac driver a brief tryout last night. It could be just wishful thinking... but it does look like I may have gained just a few more fps. Hey, every fps counts I guess. FSAA is not evident with my system. I've got to find out why.Here's a link to more about the release...http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/ATI_ma...k.html#storytop Rich@LEWBeige G3 233 MHz DT rev.1 G4 400 MHz NewerTech upgrade OS 9.2.2 384 MB RAM ATI Radeon Mac (PCI) Thrustmaster FCS/WCS

Same here, even at the worst areas due to the beautiful scenery- like Scott's JFK, I could see a small improvement in frame rates. Something is always better than nothing, even with a 16mb card.Let me realize I should upgrade to a 32mb card, but I just don't have the money right now.Jeroen (EHAM)----------Fly! II 2.0.216 Mac versionOS 10.1.3,. 832 MB RAMG4/400

I believe from everything I've been able to gather from different sources that FSAA has to enabled from either the game end, as in a menu option or from an ATI control panel, which I don't believe we have (Mac Radeon, PCI model). I do believe the graphics are a tad smoother, but not FSAA quality. Just another nail in my Mac's flight sim coffin. Sad to say that I'll be leaving the friendly confines of the Mac for the power of Darkside.Pete

I have to agree. My next computer will NOT be a Mac as well. I've had enough of investing on bigger and faster hard drives, more memory, a processor upgrade and video cards only to find myself continuously frustrated and dissapointed with this as a sim platform. Hate to say it, but time has come to move on... Mr. Gates, wipe that smirk off your face sir. Rich@LEWBeige G3 233 MHz DT rev.1 G4 400 MHz NewerTech upgrade OS 9.2.2 384 MB RAM ATI Radeon Mac (PCI) Thrustmaster FCS/WCS

Guest Allan Jones

Vader would be pleased.Been thinking about buying a bunch of PC parts myself, ostensibly for a tech project for my son to build. However, if I take the step, the parts will be those that result an awesome sim machine.

Pete,Well I promised you some results when I got my new machine running so here they are.I ran my new beast side by side with my G4 last night and here are the results.The G4 specs are as follows. G4-400 Gig Ethernet model, Radeon AGP 32 meg with latest Radeon Drivers and 768 Ram.Fly II settings as follows, Normal Scenery, 30 Mile Max Visibility, No High Detail Scenery or AI and 10 Miles Medium Scenery. Runs right around 10-15 FPS external views, about the same inside, fairly Jerky.The new machine specs out as follows. AMD 1700+XP, Soltek Purple Ray MoBo, Windows XP, 512 PC2100 DDR, and a GeForce 4 ti-4400Fly II settings as follows, Complex Scenery, 60 Max Visibility, 2 mile High Density and Max Medium Detail and no AI. 4XS FSAA enabled and still over 40FPS external with the new PMDG 757, over 20 in the cockpit in the LAX Insanely to many buildings scenery . The other thing that really struck me as strange is the fact that the page with the Helo that appears while FLY II loads takes around 1:30 on the Mac while just about 10 seconds on the PC. If I knew how to capture a screenshot I would post them to show the difference in quality with the FSAA but haven't figured out how to do it. I have had some major software problems which really made me wish it were a Mac, but I eventually worked them out. Still use the G4 for Daily use but for simming, I am very impressed with the results so far.Sorry ApplePaul Gollnick:-cool

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

Thanks Paul for the update. I've seen mention of the GeForce4 Ti 4400 and I was wondering, besides being cheaper, what differences there are between it and the 4600? I hope to start banging together the PC starting next week ( If I still have the Minister of Finance's blessing). That 40FPS framerate is outragous and I'm looking forward to viewing Fly! II in a whole new light. Once I'm up and running, I'll see what improvements to my paint process I can achieve.Pete

Pete,I ended up buying a Leadtek Golden Sample card after quite a bit of research. The nice thing about this card was that the included software had an overclocking feature that guarantees that the card will perform at a higher performance level without any stability issues. I am running mine maxed out per the software settings and have no issues with stability and from what I have read the performance in enhanced mode is nearly equal to that of the 4600 card stock. By the way, since you are the expert, how do you capture and post screenshots from Fly II? Paul:-cool

Paul Gollnick

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

Guest nycflyer

I just got my Athlon system running yesterday and WOW!I couldn't believe my eyes, it was truly a whole new world for Fly.I now see rates at around 20 at the LGA I just finished, whereas on the Mac it was like 6. The rates soar up to the mid 40's where there's less demanding modeling, even with the most complex cockpit panels. This is all with Hi res at 3. Med at 13, and Max vis at 30, Complex scenery, aircraft shadows and 4x FSAA. External views are way up there, sometimes in the 50's!The Antialiasing really sweetens up the display. I can clearly tell when it is on or off. My Radeon card, I now realize wasn't even close as far as that goes.My last hitch is that my CH pedals aren't working, but I'm sure I'll get that figured out. ;)-----------------------Scott CannizzaroPPSEL-KTEBAMD xp2000+ - GF4 Ti4400G4/400 - Radeon32

Scott,Glad to see you got it running, was it the motherboard as you suspected?I have to say that I don't think you will get many complaints to TRI from any one who has crossed over. What a difference!Paul:-)

Paul Gollnick

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

This thread should be sent to the guru's at the MAC marketing department. If this trend continues, I can see Macintosh burning out or being assimilated in the next 5-7 years. Fancy CPU boxes will only sell for so long.I'm going to have to buy the PC version and try it out on my brothers PC system. Peter

Guest ftessler

Peter,While I agree that the PC is the better gaming platform - especially for simming - I wouldn't want to give up my Mac for running "productivity" apps.Still, I'd like to have a fast PC around to run Fly! the way it should be run. I keep hearing that it's not that hard to build one for $1000 or less, but I don't know if I'd have the patience. At one point, I had an old HP with a 450MHz CPU card that I used to run Flight Explorer and TerraScene. Unfortunately, it wasn't up to running even Fly! I.-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerG4/500Fly! for Mac Forum Co-moderator

Franklin,I will whole heartedly agree with you on the ease of use for the Mac in everday operation. When I first built my new P.C. it took me 3 days to get a screen to appear due to tweaking of the BIOS! I was pulling my hair out, but it finally came together and it certainly does Fly wonderfully once I finally got it up to speed. Took a bit of patience to get used to the Microsoft way of doing things but for gaming and even Ineternet it is O.K. RegardsPaul :-cool

Paul Gollnick

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg