Sign in to follow this  

Rich... need to borrow a G4?

I saw a post from last month that indicated you were in need of a Mac to hopefully do some improvements to Fly! II, and noted that you might be receiving a loner. Did this ever materialize?If not (or if so, but you still have a need for it), I'd like to offer the use of my G4/867/GeForce3 to you. No, I'm not crazy. This is a machine that I purchased several months ago, but due to major house renovations that leave me with no place to set it up, it has been sitting in a closet unused.I would say that this will continue to be the case for at least another month or so, maybe longer (I've got the framing done for my new office, and am waiting on the electrical work, after which time I'll still have to do all the interior finishing... in other words, it's going to be a while).If this idle machine can somehow help contribute to making Fly! II better, I wholeheartedly offer it to you.--Mike(preparing for an onslaught of e-mail from people pretending to be Richard Harvey) :-)

Guest Allan Jones

Very nice, Mike!

Guest ftessler

Gee, I could swear I replied to this earlier.Anyway, this is indeed a generous offer. And if Rich doesn't take you up on your offer, I know someone who could put your Mac to good use!-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerG4/500Fly! for Mac Forum Co-moderator

Hi Mike,Wow, what an offer! Well, I have good word that I shouldn't need to be borrowing equipment. We have a G4 at work that they are allowing me to bring home to use for a while. Now, before everyone gets TOO excited, I needed to left everyone know that I am currently under a very tight deadline that will not be completed until around April 25. Until that time, there is no way I'll be able to do much more than boot a machine around my house. I've been working late shifts for the past couple of weeks, and see no change in that schedule until we meet this deadline.But, past that, my first goal is to recompile the Mac version with my patch changes from December and see how good or bad things are. My hope is that since only one of my changes was platform dependent (the flight planner printing feature), the bulk of it should compile with no problems. I can then start looking at performance issues and focus back on our 2D drawing situation.For the record, your voices ARE being heard. We have had contact from Apple, MacSoft, and our European Mac distributor. They are all being supportive, so I hope each of you treat them as the 'friend' and not the 'enemy' in this situation (you can reserve that for me directly depending on how I get this stuff to work out!)Rich

Guest jrewing

Hey Rich,This is all very encouraging! I certainly appreciate your support and your honesty about your schedule. It does help to know that folks are taking notice of the issues that folks have raised.I'm certainly willing to help beta test, if and when that point comes.Best,John

Sounds like there just might be hope for us Mac users. Thanks for the news and for your efforts Rich. Rich@LEWBeige G3 233 MHz DT rev.1 G4 400 MHz NewerTech upgrade OS 9.2.2 384 MB RAM ATI Radeon Mac (PCI) Thrustmaster FCS/WCS

Rich,Thanks so much for staying with Mac users. We appreciate that you haven't given up on us.I'd like to offer my services as beta tester if necessary.*NEW* Mac 933/60GB/768MB/GeForce 4 MX/Superdrive(vid card WILL be GeForce 4 Ti when available) OS X, 9.2.Anyway, let me know...hope your recovery is still going well!Eagerly awaiting the *NEW* Mac patch...HALLELUJAH!!Jim

This is indeed great news, Rich... please keep us updated! One thing that you should definitely take a look at is the drastic difference in performance between ATI and nVidia cards. Even when comparing a weaker model ATI card to a much more powerful nVidia card, the results are very suspicious.For example, Fly! II performs MUCH better on my Powerbook G4/667 (16mb ATI Radeon Mobility) than on the above mentioned G4/867/GeForce3.Hopefully your other ideas, such as pulling the instrument panel into a different window, will be the magic bullet, but there also may be some very simple little buglet that is killing the nVidia cards' ability to render quickly.--Mike

This is really great Rich, :-xxrotflmaoAnd I can be a beta tester too if you need any.Great!Koen

Signs the beta list :)Welp, I can try it on a low performance machine, Ibook 500 :(Or maybe on that G4/533???G/L on the project. And...Does this mean anything? (Scroll to the bottem)http://www.feral.co.uk/english/

Rich,Glad to hear that you have some patches to test and evaluate. Also, that is good news about the contracts. I'm hoping that my reading between the lines means that is Fly III you are talking about. (g)Want to put some of us Fly II beta testers back to work? I'm ready and waiting........Barry