Sign in to follow this  

Pilots, Programmers and Gamers...

I'm using a Mac G3/500 (525MHz) with plenty of everything, except a serious graphics card (which I plan to update someday). I'm not having any problems with the full (stock) 6MB VRAM that I have now on a Rev.3 logicboard.But as I sift through the many, many posts here at AVSIM, it seems to me as though this is more serious than I had expected. It appears as though "gamers" don't have a place here... which is fine with me, because I don't want to "play games" as much as I want to learn to fly - so that's cool.But as I sift through all the posts, it seems to be more in the way of "progammers" programming and reconfiguring the software to manipulate for their desires... which is also fine with me, though I am not a programmer (yet).I was merely here for the "pilot" aspect of things... wanting to learn to fly, not program or game... simply to learn and practice skills involving preflight, communication, terminology, VFR and whatever IFR I can get use to, too aquire my PPL in a shorter amount of time. (To me it's really a matter of money - or a lack of it.) So if I can learn in Fly!2K or whatever version that came after that, upgrade or whatever - then the less money I'll have to spend in real life...If I can spend $4,000 to $5,000 instead of $6,000 to $8,000... then good for me, and good for Fly!2KThanks for your help, I need it!

Guest ftessler

I think that most of us are here because we're attracted to flying in one way or another, whether as pilots or pilot-wanna-be's (like myself). Either way, Fly! lets us soar virtually to practice flying skills, sightsee, and just plain have fun.Because Fly! and other flight sims tend to tax our systems to the limit, you'll find much discussion about tweaking files to squeeze out the best performance. As you've probably already noticed, performance is an especially sore spot for us Mac users. But, thanks to Rich Harvey's dedication and kindness, help is on the way.I know that some simmers take exception to being called "gamers" because it makes our hobby seem "less serious." Frankly, it doesn't bother me at all.-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerG4/500Fly! for Mac Forum Co-moderator

Guest Allan Jones

If we take a technical interest in our Macs (as I know you do, Jon), the line between "gamers" and "simmers" pales. Having put so much time into Fly II and having all those nagging questions about performance, I find myself looking at newer games to see how they do on my aging Mac, especially those that rely on OpenGL. I download a lot of game demos to see how they run -- more of a tech interest in the Mac hardware than looking for more entertainment.I'm still impressed with how well the old 16MB ATI Rage Orion handles most games.I too hope that Rich is able to find us some help. I know it's in good hands.

Really initially the sims (Fly!2k for me) help with getting your pilots license. It makes you somewhat familar with the panel, how to operate the flight controls, the engine, what the mixture control does. However I don't know where you live, but you might be able to find cheaper flight training at your local community college (2-year college) I know the one around me quotes you $3500 from idiot to PP, and another $2000 to IP, and $1000 to Commercial. Not bad. Also if you can find a flight school at an airport that charges around $65 for a 172 (1970's) and $20-25 for the instructor you can get the privite for less than $6000 most likely less than $5000.In short though, the sim WON'T save you that much money.

I hope to be comfortable with the panel and flight control before spending money on actual lessons. I know it won't save a lot, it might just save a thousand dollars of "stupid time".Stupid time definition:Time spent getting to know (and become comfortable with) the location of instruments, controls, function & operation. Basic communication (ie:) ATIS, Clearence Delivery, Ground Control, Tower, Flight Service, Multicom, Approach and Departure Information, etc. At least some knowledge of order I hope would save some time - as oppose to no knowledge at all. Hence... "stupid time".Thanks for the information. I haven't looked into the local college thing yet for this... I have found a local airport school that I am actually very happy with, well the instructor anyway.In the literature I've gotten from the various schools in the area, each says (or states) that the "minimum" FAA requirement is 40 hours (broken down). The schools offer a 172, a CH2000 or a Warrior - all for $72 per hour plus $34 for the instructor. I plan on scheduling the Warrior for most, if not all, of the time.Any thoughts or suggestions there?I figure, when I graduate - or get my PPL, I'll be interested in a Warrior - not a Cessna. Well heck, the whole reason for wanting my PPL is so that I can safely fly the ultralight that I've chosen to buy. (Sapphire MkII)And it all just esculated from there."Happy Mac-Flying!"