Sign in to follow this  

Problems with ATI Radeon 8500 ...

Guest Allan Jones

Glad that worked, Max! Those pictures you posted really helped.The render.ini file can be editted, but I thought that the Radeon would produce a much different file as it has more capability.In the AVSIM library, there is a file called Tweak_Kit_for_FLYII. It explains how the render.ini file works and included a simple spreadsheet to help you calculate the values that need editing.The rack of numbers in the render file are texture slots. Different graphic items in the FLY world require different texture depths. The slots run from 32 to 1024 bits. The slots that have a "565" in the line are for 16-bit color --all others are 32-bit. You can increase the allocation of VRAM to each slot with a text editor.Ken Salter has some of this info on his web site (see the Main Fly Forun and look in his signature for the site).The allocation in your render file is no different from mine, and it's not taxing a 16MB card, much less a 64MB! If you cannot force Fly to write a new Radeon render.ini (by removing the current render version from its folder and restarting Fly II with the Radeon installed) then maybe one of the other fellows here can send you a copy of their Render file for comparision.Thanks for the offer of the Swiss chocs! However, I'm trying to get a few kilos off my waistline (a waist is a terrible thing to mind!). I'm happy that I could help, and I know there will be a time when you will help me. It's a pleasure dealing with the terrific people around the world that have a love of Macs and sims.Your friend,

Hello Allenthank you for your reply! I'm going to have a closer look to the render.ini file (and the tweak kit,and Ken Salters page ...) this weekend, so be prepared to get some questions next week ;-)By the way - if you fear the Swiss chocolate, perhaps swiss mountain cheese will do it? :-lolMax

Hello Allentoday I had I few moments to try different render.ini settings according to the "Tweak kit for Fly!2". For some settings I get definitely some more fps, but there is another phenomenon: The fps are extremely erratic, going for example from 7 fps to 18 fps several times within a second. The effect is that there are a lot of little breaks ...Any idea what happens?Max

Guest Allan Jones

Max,Sorry to be late in responding -- we had a glorious Idaho spring weekend and I seldom got close to the computer. The sun felt great!I encountered erratic rate behavoir only once, and it was not with the current version of Fly II.When it occurs, can you see anything happening onscreen like flashes, items popping in and out, etc. Is the horizon moving back and forth? If the yellow arrows are there (when you hold down the control key), they can drop rates, but not as dramatically as you report.Are any applications or system functions (like fax software) running in the background? If so, see if turning them off helps.Beyond that, I'm not sure what is happening :(

Max,Frame rates will vary. Rates take a big hit at sunset when runway lights are shown. Be sure to load up the buffers by doing a complete view all the way around the aircraft. This speeds up frame rates a lot. It is standard procedure when Fly 2 boots up. Barry Williams

Hello Allen and Barrygood news: the problem with the erratic fps is solved :-)It was perhaps due to the fact that Fly! started directly with the cockpit view, but I think the main reason was the fact that the High Resolution Res Radius setting was much too high. I took it down to O and the frame rates improved and became stable. I realized too that I can activate "High Detail Textures" without fps loss. So even with reducing visibility to 10 miles I still have quite nice sceneries and acceptable frame rates (between 10 and 22 fps). Probably it's the best I can actually get with my Mac.Thank you again for your continous help!Max