Sign in to follow this  
Mac_Paint

XP Woes(I know, you told me so)

Well as I expected, the honeymoon is over. I knew going over to the darkside was fraught with perils but I undertook this journey thinking, "How bad could it be?"I can see the beginings of another system reinstall. I cannot get Frankenstein to shutdown and now I cannot get it to awaken from sleep. I've delved into the mysteries of the dreaded 'bios' and I can tell you, be thankful you don't need to know such terrible things. There are an amazing number of settings to screw-up and I'am sure I've done that, causing Frankenstein to become recaltritant. I've also discovered that I cannot install software as an administrator and have other's with limited access use the software if the program CD needs to be mounted at the same time. Hidden within the bowels of XP are control panels that affect the function of other control panels and this is why I seem to be unable to share folders from XP to Mac OS X and back. I'am so deep in it that it looks like my only option is to reset the bios to it's factory default and reinstall MacOS X, er, I mean XP.Hey, Apple. Are you out there? Here's a buyer for OS X for Intel if you ever decide to market it.I'll take the next hours off, contemplating the coming reinstall. Your prayers are welcome,Pete(With a jones for Fly! II)

Thanks for sharing your perils with us Pete. Hmmm... maybe my Mac isn't so bad after all. :) Rich@KLEWBeige G3 233 MHz DT rev.1 G4 400 MHz NewerTech upgrade OS 9.2.2 384 MB RAM ATI Radeon Mac (PCI) Thrustmaster FCS/WCS

Guest Allan Jones

Hi Pete,Normally, that repressed "go for the kill shot" part of my quirky personality would kick in about now, but you have been so honest and straight-forward about your mental anquish with this that I can't bring myself to say something rude. It's times like this when I wish I knew more about Windoze so I could help.So. lacking the ability to inject something useful and resisting the temptation to say something humorous/rude/smart-allecky, I offer my moral and prayer support. It does make us all apreciate the Macintosh architecture in spite of its occasional limitations.I'll check around the shop and see if some of the Windoze gurus have any idea what's happening.Just remember, when you share your probelms with us, you won't suffer alone. That's community, my friend!

Thanks for not kicking me while I'am down :'( Well, I am over my shutdown and sleep problems with Frankenstein. As I suspected, too many changes to the BIOS caused the shutdown problem and restoring the default settings set things right. Resetting the Power management control panel also cured the wake from sleep issue. I've been able to connect my Mac, running OS X using the SMB protocol, to my PC running Win98 here at work, so I 'should' be able to accomplish the same thing on the computers at home. I am thinking I wont be able to see the Mac from the PC, so it looks like it's going to have to be a one way file sharing setup unless I can coerce the PC in to seeing OS X. Only issue left is to figure out how to enable the other users to use some of the software I've installed as Administrator. Seem's XP's shared folder scheme hides some of the softwares resources from other users, rendering it useless to them. Should not happen so I'am thinking it's a program issue. I need to check with the publisher to see if this is a know problem.On a more pleasent note, I see Steve's preview of OS 10.2, Jaguar, looks to be very promising to our side of the sim. If the increased graphics performace of 10.2 is indeed going to be system wide, and Rich is able to deliver on the Mac patch, then Mac Fly! II looks to be getting a quicker pair of legs!Keeping my fingers crossed,Pete

Well, er, ummm, it's called XP for Extra Pain.I shouldn't be writing this because you are going to read it, and then XP is going to report me back to Microsoft. Have you disabled the Big Brother function yet? Seriously, that is very scary to me. I've been deep inside of my son's PIII and Windoze 98. Seems something set 22 programs to auto start. Have you ever tried to find the Startup folder in Windows 98? Well, I now have the dubious honor of knowing there is a "msconfig" and some of the things to tinker with in it. Now, his ddraw.dll extension is corrupt and his favorite online game won't load. grrrrrBarry Williams