Sign in to follow this  
Fall_guy

Please HELP!!......BBedit /System problem

Hi Guys, Ive been using BBedit lite for almost a year now (problem free)...... however today, for some reason it has crashed my system (O/S9.02) continuously. I thought I'd ask you about it because I've noticed a small greyed-out symbol (rather like the face of a Rubix cube) in the top left corner of the BBedit window. Its just before the no. of items display. Ive reloaded BBedit Lite several times including new downloads but to no avail.....any ideas what the symbol is or what may be causing it to crash.Thanks for any help/guidanceJohnDC-10 ProjectB737-500 Project

Guest jsippy

John,Not sure about that symbol (I'm using BBEditLite 4.6 under OS 9.2.2), but have you tried to trash the BBEdit Prefs file along with those re-installations?---John R. SippyChicago, IL, USAPowerMacG4 -Dual 5001024MB RAMnVidiaGF2 - 32MB

Guest ftessler

John,Can you give me more details about the crash? When does it occur? What happens (freeze, crash dialog, etc.)? Does it occur if you boot without loading extensions?-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerG4/500Fly! for Mac Forum Co-moderator

Hi John........Good to hear from you!...How ya keepin?I'm also using MacOs 9.2.2 with BBedit Lite Version 6.1 and 6.1.2. Ive tried them both!!. I think the problem lies with the System preference file (BBedit pref). The reason being when I launch BBeditLite everthing appears to be OK until I try a search/find. Then I get a complete system freeze and when I re-boot and re-launch BBeditLite I get a finder window telling me that BBedit pref file failed and the application will now quit.Its only when I trash the (BBedit pref file) and launch BBedit lite again that Im able to open/import my files.Just for you info Ive I checked everthing on my system and report a clean bill of health (No viruses, conflicts etc)Thanks for your time John.

Hi Franklin..........thanks for trying to help me out.In responce to your questions, when the problem arises it completely freezes the system and I have to re-boot. This happens when I use the search/find command once BBEdit has loaded. (SEE my reply to John Sippy)However the program (BBedit Lite) appears to run fine without extensions loaded. Im just going to go through them and see if I can find anything.If you require anymore info please let me know.Thanks again Franklin for your interestJohn

Guest ftessler

John,If it's an extension problem, Conflict Catcher (www.conflictcatcher.com) will help you track it down.-Franklin ------------------------------Franklin TesslerG4/500Fly! for Mac Forum Co-moderator

Guest jsippy

Hi John.I have been doing well, although very busy with work lately.Thanks for asking. Other than your nasty BBEdit problem, how are you?Here's a thought...If you have OS X, try running BBEdit in Classic mode along side of the "Console" app. When Classic freezes up, the OS X Console should display a crash report if you turn that preference on. Since OS X would have Classic in protected memory, you shouldnt have to worry about our test causing any problems with XHere a possible "blind" solution as well...Boot up your machine in OS 9 as you normally would. Then press the reset button (the one with the triangle) on the front case Yes, I know... pretty scary but... That restart will cause the mac to go through its disk check after it comes back on (unless you have disabled that option).Ive left mine on, despite the fact that it takes forever to complete, it does seem to catch all sorts of nasty things, and appears to be the next best thing to Disk DoctorCheers---John R. SippyChicago, IL, USAPowerMacG4 -Dual 5001024MB RAMnVidiaGF2 - 32MB

Thanks Franklin,.............something else I've just noticed which may be of help to you. When I double click on the BBedit FOLDER and the icons are displayed..............if I click(hold) on any icon and try to move it within its window, as soon as I release the mouse button the ICON Ive just moved side-steps (approx 20pixels) before re-locating in its new position.In other words when I move any Icon in the BBedit window after I release the mouse button the ICON Ive just moved jumps up/side/down about 1/4 inch.Hope you can understand this!!Also have experienced freezes on the decktop today (when moving Icons), But all my applications seem to be running fine???Thanks John

Guest ftessler

John,It's been a long time since I've used the OS 9 Finder :) Do you have grid snap turned on?If you're experiencing frezzes while moving icons, I'd:1) Trash the Finder preferences file2) Rebuild the desktop-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerG4/500Fly! for Mac Forum Co-moderator