Sign in to follow this  
Guest jsippy

Heres a question for the forum...

Guest jsippy

Lets say that if somebody were to invest the time to port Flyscripts2 over to the Mac, which OS would you rather see it ported to first:MacOS 9-or-MacOS X???????---John R. SippyChicago, IL, USAPowerMacG4 -Dual 5001024MB RAMnVidiaGF2 - 32MB

Guest ftessler

John,A couple of months ago, I'd have answered "OS 9" without hesitation. Now, I'm a little less sure.I've been using OS X almost exclusively, because all my "productivity" apps run under OS X or Classic. The only time I boot into OS 9 is to run Fly! - unfortunately, I've had far less time to do that lately, since I'm getting ready to move in a few weeks.I would love to be able to run Fly! II under OS X, but performance isn't what it should be. However, I'm hoping that the improvements in 10.5 (or whatever Jaguar is eventually called) will help, as will efforts by Rich.For the time being, I suspect that most people are running Fly! under OS 9, so that would be the way to go. Looking forward, though, it'll be nice to have an OS X version, especially if performance can be improved.Hope this somewhat rambling analysis helps!-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerG4/500Fly! for Mac Forum Co-moderator

JohnI agree with Franklin.I'm not a programmer, but Mac OS X will be (i guess) the future of mac. So maybee it's good move to make a carbon version (if I'm right the a carbon program runs under OS 9 and OS X) In this case you give the programmer the choice if he want's to use it in OS 9 or OS XCheersKoen

I'd have to go with 9... simply because I have a processor upgrade which Apple will not support with OS X. Rich@KLEWBeige G3 233 MHz DT rev.1 G4 400 MHz NewerTech upgrade OS 9.2.2 384 MB RAM ATI Radeon Mac (PCI) Thrustmaster FCS/WCS

Guest jsippy

Actually,In the case of a Library (or DLL as some know it) I am not sure if a "Carbonized" version is possible. I'm still researching the possibility.Here is what I do know about Libraries...Although Fly, or in this case, FlyII use their libraries exclusively (in other words, no other app on the Mac uses these libraries) they are still loaded into memory by the host OS. In order for the OS to load these libraries into RAM, they must be compiled into machine code that both the OS and the Processor can read. Since a library doesnt actually "launch", I am doubtfull as to whether or not I can carbonize one to run under both OS's.While this sounds like a big deal, it really isn't. Once a library has been ported over to even OS 9, the hard work has been done. Rebuilding that library to run under OS X theoretically should be no trouble. Thus I would probably realease two version of the library, one for each OS.---John R. SippyChicago, IL, USAPowerMacG4 -Dual 5001024MB RAMnVidiaGF2 - 32MB

Guest jsippy

Thanks for the feedback (Iwas beginning to wonder if anyone even wanted Flyscripts for FlyII)It appears pretty clear at this point, OS 9 is to be the starting point.This is a pretty major undertaking... so please be patient. I will first contact Mr. Merton and get his blessings, and then go from there.---John R. SippyChicago, IL, USAPowerMacG4 -Dual 5001024MB RAMnVidiaGF2 - 32MB

The issue of OS should only come up in some very specific contexts with Flyscripts. In general, the only time the OS matters with a Fly DLL is when you need to do something outside of Fly, like file I/O. In the original Flyscripts port, that's the only place there was any Mac OS-specific code (file I/O). (I can't say a lot because I did sign an NDA with Anthony Merton). Newer versions of Flyscripts would also have very little OS-specific code, I would guess - again it should be entirely restricted to some file I/O code. As long as the Mac version of this code is written using the Carbon API, it should run under OS 9 or OS X.(Unfortunately I didn't port the original Flyscripts using the Carbon API, and I'm pretty sure my code isn't Carbon-compatible, but it wouldn't be that big of a deal to make it so.) It may be that some tweaking of the build parameters in Codewarrior is necessary for targetting OS X vs. OS 9, but the source code itself should work fine for either platform.I'd be happy to port it myself, except I have no time for it.

I'd have to say X, but since I lost my Fly!2 CD... Damn I need to find it, after months of not being able to play it, I finally got a decent machine and I can't find the durn CD.

Guest jsippy

Just a quick update...Due to some other projects, I have had very little time for flightsimming these days.Aside from the lack of time to do the port, there has been one major problem... I have not been able to get any information from the original author. No replies to requests, no info, and no code.---John R. SippyChicago, IL, USAPowerMacG4 -Dual 5001024MB RAMnVidiaGF2 - 32MB