Sign in to follow this  

Fly 2K and the G4 I-Mac

Does anyone out there run Fly 2K using the G4 I-Mac? What performance are you getting? Does it even work with OS 9.2? I enjoy reasonable success using my current setup on Fly 2K with the Rob Young models and C4TO, but the new G4 I-Mac sure looks attractive. R ZackG3 DT with 500Mhz Sonnett, ATI Rage Orion, OS 9.1, 320 Megs.

Currently, Fly! II on any flavor of Mac is less than stellar. Issues with Apple's implementation of OpenGL causes significant slowdowns as compared to the PC version.PeteDelete, delete, delete. Re-read your message and you were of course refering to Fly!2K and not Fly! II. Fly!2K should "Fly" on the new iMac(pun intended). Pete

Guest Allan Jones

Mr. Zack,The major hurdle running 2K on a new Mac of any persuassion is the video card. Fly 2K uses specific video card files (.vcf) for each card. There is no .vcf that defines the nVidea graphics cards installed in all the new Macs. It's possible that an existing vcf file for another cards may work but I wouldn't count on it. It is possible to create a custom vcf by modifying another card's file, but expect a lot of trial and error engineering!That being said, Franklin Tessler has a G4 DP800 with the nVidea card and he says 2K runs quite well in software mode. Franklin, if I'm incorrect on this, take time out from unpacking and jump in here.

Guest ftessler

That being said, Franklin Tessler has a G4 DP800 with the nVidea card and he says 2K runs quite well in software mode. Franklin, if I'm incorrect on this, take time out from unpacking and jump in here.Sure... I hate unpacking!Anyway, I did get really good performance from Fly!2k on the dual 800, but the last time I ran it was around January. I do know that it runs under 9.x, as long as you're careful about what extensions you load.I'll give it another try and report back.-Franklin (slowly coming back from the moving netherworld)------------------------------Franklin TesslerDP 800Fly! for Mac Co-moderator

Guest Allan Jones

Good to see you here! Got the house connection working or are you typing from work?Welcome back,

I have been very pleased with Fly Y2K on an iMac FP 800. I found information in a post from John R. Sippy with a suggested vcf file for the nVidia 2MX and it works just great. Frame rates are seldom below 20 and often 40 to 50. The odd artifact but otherwise great performance. Now if we could only see Fly II working almost as well. With all the caring in the Fly community, anything is possible.Mark

Guest ftessler

Allan,Still using dial-up from home - with any luck, I'll have DSL up and running soon.-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerDP 800Fly! for Mac Co-moderator

Guest Allan Jones

Still using dial-up from home - with any luck, I'll have DSL up and running soon.OUCH! That's gotta be tough duty!

Mark:I haven't been able to locate the post by J. Sippy on the vcf file. Could you steer me there? --Or perhaps Sippy could respond directly to this post. Perhaps he could put the file with a "read me" in the AVSIM file library.R. Zackery P.G3 DT (500 Sonnett), ATI Orion, OS 9.1 (thinking of buying an I/E Mac).