Sign in to follow this  
Guest Allan Jones

Jag and Fly II--eMac tests

Guest Allan Jones

We still have my daughter's new eMac here as we needed the long weekend to finish setting it up before moving it to her dorm. As you can suspect, I found the Fly II Installation CD :DThe computer (shipped on 8-23) came with 10.1.4 but had the Jag disks packed with it. Upgraded almost immediately. Nice bit of kit altogether.The only Fly files I loaded were the Fly CD1 and the HID patch for OSX. Interesting--when I double-click the patch folder to see what's in it, it launches Fly. Do this from OS9 and you can see it has contents.On regular launching, the graphics set-up box recognized the nVidea GF2 card correctly. I used 1024x768x32x32.Did my old "we don't need no stinkin' USB joystick" test and flew off the C172 from Dulles with just elevator trim and then slewed to FL80. With the cockpit positioned so the sacred six were just in full view, rates were about like my beige G3 before processor upgrade --about 8-9. Turning the panel off increased to maybe 15.External view was checked with zoom at 2.67, and the camera set 90 degrees off the a/c axis and level with the wing. About 13-15 fps. Not too impressive, although the nice rendering of the a/c and ground textures indicated that the vidcard was doing something.Then got wild and crazy and booted into 9.2.2. Wow! What a difference! The cockpit rates were close to 15 with panel on and the external rates were over 20.Anyone have an idea of why the results flip-flopped form previous reports? Do I have to do somethening to "turn on" the Jag improvements? The program was 100 percent stable under either OS.I have some pics of the rate charts in 9. I'll post them after I move them from the emac to my G3.

Guest ftessler

Hi, Allan.I'm getting maybe 5-7 FPS higher than you in the external view, and about 4-5 FPS more in cockpit view. I have the same video card as you, and probably not much more RAM, if any (I have 512MB). As far as you can tell, is "Quartz Extreme" enabled on your eMac?Unfortunately, I'm still having no luck getting my yoke to work under OS X.-Framl;om------------------------------Franklin TesslerDP 800Fly! for Mac Co-moderator

Guest Allan Jones

"As far as you can tell, is "Quartz Extreme" enabled on your eMac? "Didn't know it had to be enabled! Is there a secret password? Saw some references to enabling Quartz for other functions that I thought were pre-OSX apps, but I thought it was automatic for the nVidea stuff.May be a moot point--I'll have to take the eMac to Rachel's dorm either tonight or tomorrow. Bummer--just when I was having fun with X.

Guest Allan Jones

Sorry. No screenies of the nice rates, guys. I was using the rate graph and the graph didn't show up in the screen captures. Weird.