Sign in to follow this  

Radeon 32MB OK?

I just installed a ATI Radeon 7000 32MB card in my G3 desktop. Looks good.I seem to remember, though, that in this forum there was mentioned a problem with Fly! recognizing 32MB 3D cards, or using only 16MB of that.Is that correct? Is there a fix?Thanks for helping!Jorg

Guest Allan Jones

Welcome!If you are using Fly II (released 2001) then your card should be recognized without your doing anything. If you are using Fly1/2k, there is a Radeon patch. This should take you there: http://ftp.avsim.com/library/sendfile.php?DownloadID=8266If the link doesn't work, search the Fly! (not FlyII) library for "radeon." It's the only hit you'll get. Have fun!

Hi Allan,I AM using the Radeon patch; I just wasn't sure whether there was yet another problem with Radeon cards - the mentioned inability to use all 32MB of card memory.Anyway, is there a way to check? Thanks for helping!Jorg

Guest Allan Jones

Jorg,Fly1/2k always had the ability to run 32MB video cards, but relied on the vcf file and settings in the render.ini file to adjust to the installed video hardware options/capabilities. When Fly Mac first released in 1999, the only 32MB Mac vidcard was the ATI Rage 128 Nexus. Radeon Mac Edition came later. The patch should have a new vcf file that defines the capablities of your card. You should be OK with the patch.I don't know of a way to check if Fly is using all the VRAM. Normally, you can assign VRAM to specific texture slots to tweak perfomance. There is a download in the AVSIM library called Fly Tweaker (or something like that) that has an Excel spreadsheet to let you calcualte if your texture slot assignments fit your VRAM. There is also a text file (maybe a pdf) that explains the texture slot concept and makes recommendations for where to assign more memory.