Sign in to follow this  
John_Tavendale

Athlon XP Overclocking: Results

I swapped my RAM to the middle slot, now I can do 12 x 145 :-lol but that's as fas it goes. So 1.6Ghz is about what I can get. My temps are still low, so it's all good.I think I'll get a XP 2100+ now with the price drop that's just happened.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Guest PaulL01

>I swapped my RAM to the middle slot, now I can do 12 x 145 >:-lol but that's as fas it goes. So 1.6Ghz is about what I >can get. My temps are still low, so it's all good. >>I think I'll get a XP 2100+ now with the price drop that's >just happened. John, you have XMS3000 right?tis your CPU thats holding you back, well depending on how you want to look at it. And am I correct that right now you are running memory at 358Mhz (166+13x2)? you will be better able to Zero in to what your system as a whole can do if you unlock the CPU, lower the multiplier and run your memory in sync with the CPU. I'll bet you can do 10x170 mem/cpu insync=POWER!What Core Voltage and memory voltage are you trying to O/C with?Paul

When I can overclock the P4 Northwood to 3.0GHz without additional cooling, that's when I think I'll do the biggie upgrade.Right now, here's how it looks:Lian Li PC-86 aluminum case w/ Enermax 430W whisper PSS.Adaptec 29160N PCI SCSI 160 controller.Dual Seagate X15 15,000 RPM SCSI 320 18GB HDD.P4 at 3GHz, OR Athlon XP 3000+--we'll see what TBred has to offer.1GB RAM--whatever is reasonably fast and reliableSome kind of sound card I'm not sure which one is the bestPlextor SCSI DVD, SCSI CDRWGeForce4 Ti4600 of the Leadtek variety--OR ATI R300 if it looks too good.Prob make the move to XP Pro version 2 (from Win98).I believe this sucker will run surprisingly cool and quiet with the parts used, and should handle FS just dandy. When do you all think XP 3000+, or P4 capable of 3000MHz will be available??Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Guest Max Cowgill

>When I can overclock the P4 Northwood to 3.0GHz without >additional cooling, that's when I think I'll do the biggie >upgrade. >>Right now, here's how it looks: >>Lian Li PC-86 aluminum case w/ Enermax 430W whisper PSS. >Adaptec 29160N PCI SCSI 160 controller. >Dual Seagate X15 15,000 RPM SCSI 320 18GB HDD. >P4 at 3GHz, OR Athlon XP 3000+--we'll see what TBred has to >offer. >1GB RAM--whatever is reasonably fast and reliable >Some kind of sound card I'm not sure which one is the best >Plextor SCSI DVD, SCSI CDRW >GeForce4 Ti4600 of the Leadtek variety--OR ATI R300 if it >looks too good. >Prob make the move to XP Pro version 2 (from Win98). >>I believe this sucker will run surprisingly cool and quiet >with the parts used, and should handle FS just dandy. >>When do you all think XP 3000+, or P4 capable of 3000MHz >will be available?? Noel, good luck getting any AXP CPU up to 3000+ speeds. You'll need some serious cooling (Liquid Nitrogen for today's Palominos and at least water cooling for the first Tbreds). The AXP is only planned to go up to 2800+ by the end of the year, and I doubt you'd be able to get even a 2400+ (Q3 02) up to 3000+ without some serious cooling. As for me, I'm going to get a new PSU, a couple case fans, some Corsair XMS 2700 or 3000 RAM, and a gigantor heatsink with delta fan and see how far I can push this 1700+. I'm thinking 2200+ is definitely doable with this CPU.Max Cowgill

Paul,You're right.. but unlocking one of these suckers is a royal pain in the butt :-lol Someone is offering to do it for $20, might take up his offer.. I was running the voltage at 1.85voltsI am thinking of getting a XP 2100+ anyway.. should get that sucker up to a decent level

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers