Sign in to follow this  

Fly! on a Rev. A iBook

Both my father and I have reinstalled Fly! on his 300Mhz iBook over a half dozen times. He has 150MB physical RAM and 4MB VRAM, which, according to the instructions, should be enough. We have tried every extension configuration imaginable.Yet, everytime we try to launch the app, The System (9.1) locks up on the second screen. Now, I have noticed that their instructions say set VM to 1 MB. Do they mean literally? I know VM is supposed to be set 1MB above your physical RAM but I can't for the life of me figure out what 1MB of VM would accomplish.When we contacted the manufacturer they only e-mailed us a copy of this site's troubleshooting guide.Any ideas?Petrie

Hi Petrie,Can your laptop memory be increased further?What's the video card type and size?The problem could be something other than these two issues but typically they're the problem. Most Mac users have found that the minimum requirements posted on the box are too low. I believe most users run the sim with a minimum of 250 meg of ram and virtual memory turned off. Personally, I have over 700 meg and dedicate 500meg when I'm using FLY!Do you have the following extensions:Quicktime, Open GL (six related extensions), Carbon Lib v. 1.3 or greater, draw sprocketslib 1.7.7, HidLib and Input Sprocket Extensions - if you're using a joystick or yoke instead of the keyboard.There could be others reasons too and hopefully someone else may have had similar problems that can help out. I'm happy to hear that you're don't have Microsoft and regret to hear that you have MS. I hope that a cure will come soon for you, and as well as for a couple of personal friends.All the best,PeterCYOW

Hi Peter, >Can your laptop memory be increased further?Took it to 150MB physical.>What's the video card type and size?It's an ATi chip with 4 MB of VRAM.>Personally, I have over 700 meg and dedicate 500meg when I'm using Unfortunately you could only take the clamshell up to 2xxMB as I recall.>Do you have the following extensions: >Quicktime, Open GL (six related extensions), Carbon Lib v. >1.3 or greater, draw sprocketslib 1.7.7, HidLib and Input >Sprocket Extensions - if you're using a joystick or yoke >instead of the keyboard.QT 6.02, Open GL, Carbon Lib 1.6 and all the Sprocket Extensions.>There could be others reasons too and hopefully someone else >may have had similar problems that can help out. I hope so. He's using some other Flight Sim that is quite as demanding on the system without any problems.>I hope that a cure will >come soon for you, and as well as for a couple of personal >friends.Thanks,Frank

Guest Allan Jones

Petrie,There are two versions of Fly!. The original is called 1/2K around here and the latest is Fly! II. System reqs for the latter are much steeper. Which do you have (check the Get Info box on the app)? I have both--here are some general comments:Fly 1/2K:Needs about 100-150 MB allocated to the program and some left for the system. That makes the min physical RAM installed at 192MB. The 300mHz processor is OK but I doubt 4MB VRAM will cut it. I started with 6MB VRAM and a built-in Rage 64 chip--Fly 1/2K didnt get happy until I installed a Rage Orion PC card with 16MB VRAM.If you can get to the Graphics setting box, avoid the "software only" choice if others are available. In later version of 2K, this can cause the crash you mentioned.FlyIIThis has very steep requirements. Min processor is G3/350. The box says it needs 16MB VRAM but I've been able to run it on an iMac 400DV with 8MB VRAM but it has the Rage 128 graphic chip. Defalult memory allocation is 208MB and you need room for OpenGL to work; 288 physical min. CarbonLib has to be 1.3.1 or higher; go for higher, as 1.3.1 was a little flakey. I'm running 1.6 under OS 9.1.With either version, virtual memory will cause stuttering and overall slow perfomance. I know this probably isn't what you wanted to hear. We're willing to help you tweak wherever possible.

>Petrie, >>There are two versions of Fly!. The original is called 1/2K >around here and the latest is Fly! II. System reqs for the >latter are much steeper. Which do you have (check the Get >Info box on the app)? I have both--here are some general >comments:1/2 K, assuming that's the first version.>Fly 1/2K: >>Needs about 100-150 MB allocated to the program and some >left for the system.I allocated 100MB.>That makes the min physical RAM >installed at 192MB. The 300mHz processor is OK but I doubt >4MB VRAM will cut it. I started with 6MB VRAM and a built-in >Rage 64 chip--Fly 1/2K didnt get happy until I installed a >Rage Orion PC card with 16MB VRAM. Unfortunately the notebook graphic chips are soldered to the board, so there's no option there except to upgrade the Book (which I have been toying with suggesting).>If you can get to the Graphics setting box, avoid the >"software only" choice if others are available. In later >version of 2K, this can cause the crash you mentioned.>With either version, virtual memory will cause stuttering >and overall slow perfomance.OK>I know this probably isn't what you wanted to hear. We're >willing to help you tweak wherever possible.Anything that moves us forward is fine by us.Thanks,Petrie