Sign in to follow this  
Guest product

10.2.3 Update- Any Problems?

Joel,Drag over and replace with like-named filesis all I'm doing...See my reply to Allan's post regarding error messages...Best regards,Jim

Guest Allan Jones

Jim,I've had trouble with some files for other programs getting corrupted when I used Stuffit 7 but worked fine when I used v6. If you still have v6 around, try it. Try working from Classic--I suppose with 6 you have to.Have you tried patching a clean copy of FlyII? I have two complete installations of II on my HD, one at 216 with all the add-on goodies, and the other a clean install patched to 240. I can't find any system.pod file anywhere on my computer.Glad to see you back--we've got to get you running!

Allan,I had to take the individual files out of the "System" folder (the second one thatwas in the update) to get FLY! 2 to work, but even though I've got it running, I don't remember it running this lousy on my system. This is the WORSE I've seen FLY! II run since I've had it!!The whole thing is runnning between about 11-15 fps (from what I can tell)which, in my opinion, is pretty bad!I'm open to any suggestions...(and it's good to be back!!!!!)Best regards,JimG4-933/60 GB/768 RAM/Superdrive/GeForce 4 Ti/OS 10.2.3/Logitech Wingman Extreme (crummy js-refurbed: never again-any ideas for a js? I had to toss all my serial stuff cause they weren't working...now there's a company that allows you to still use yourserial stuff with a G4...oh, well...) $300 down the drain...!

Guest ftessler

Jim,You should be getting better performance than that - I do on my dual 800 G4. (I'm not sure, but I suspect that a faster single processor will do better than a slower dual.) However, at no point has performance under OS X matched performance under OS 9. Also, although the final patch restored much of the functionality of my FlightSim Yoke, I still have some problems programming the hatswitch. I know that it's a pain to boot into OS 9, but that's the best way to make Fly! work.The video card is another issue. All along, I don't think that we've seen the expected increments in performance with newer cards. As Richard pointed out on several occasions, there are bottlenecks within the Mac that prevent us from getting the performance that our PC friends get. -Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerDP 800Fly! for Mac Co-moderator

Jim, I am curious to know if you have solved your problems in getting the new Fly! II patch.240 to run well on your system. I am experiencing the same problem you had; I get an error message which reads, "unable to open pod file systemstartup.pod" I acquired my version of Fly! II last August (v.216), and faithfully followed the instructions for implementing the v.240 patch. I too have dumped my Fly! II file in the trash and reloaded it three times with the patch, and still can't get it to run. You said you took the files out the the patch's System Folder; so where did you put them in the Fly! files? I also saw your note about problems with your Logitech joystick. I have the CH Products Flight Sim Yoke and it works great with Fly! II on OS 9.2. It also works great in OS X with the new made-for-OS X game World War II Air Combat.JohnG4/533/640 Mb RAM/Ge Force 3/64Mb/OS X v.10.2.3

>Jim, > I am curious to know if you have solved your problems in >getting the new Fly! II patch.240 to run well on your >system. I am experiencing the same problem you had; I get an >error message which reads, "unable to open pod file >systemstartup.pod" Ditto for me! I installed and updated the Fly! II patch with 10.2.3 system already in place, & I have no idea what to do! Now that I finally have a system to use Fly! II, I would really like to use it! (TiG4, 867MHz, 768 RAM)Bill Zeilstra

Well, I feel a bit silly. After reading others' posts, I decided to re-install the CD version of Fly! II, and then apply the patch. Didn't work the first time. Maybe I tried again out of superstition or something. But it's been up and running twice now, and I thought I would post a notice to that effect. don't know why it took.I installed while using 10.2.3, and found the frame rate to be 15-20 fps on a Skyhawk quickflight out of Chicago's Midway airport. Not bad!Don't know what else to say except that this list makes for valuable reading!Ti G4, 867 MHz, 768 Meg RAM, Logitech Wingman js

Good for you. Maybe I need to download the patch again and apply it; that is the only thing I have not re-done. Gosh, it's frustrating. -John

Bill,My question is in regards to the Logitech Wingman js.I am using one also in Fly II, 240 patch but running OS 10.1.2.I am noticing that all axes are not allowed their full range. They only go 7 out of the 10 marks on either side of center. When I run under OS 9 I do not have this problem, they go the full range. Do you have the same situation?Mike

Hi Mike:My Logitech Wingma Extreme appears to register 100%.I'm using 10.2.3 with the 240 patch replacing newly installed CD files of Fly! II.I'm trying to get my map window to work! The auto- features aren't responding. I suppose I could go to my local FBO, but the electronic versions' placement of the aircraft is a nic efeature I miss.

Hello again Franklin and Allan,Good to see you guys again. Sorry I missed out on testing the last patch. I just installed OS X 10.2.3, so I'm new to it. Fly II crawls! It is unusable. I have 3 OS's, OS X, 9.22, and 8.6. I'm going to stick with 9.2.2 as it runs fine with it. No real problems except that it freezes if I don't select something at the startup situation. I can't let it sit for longer than 5 minutes or so, or it freezes. I'm used to Fly II with 9.2.2.My Wingman Extreme was junk. I finally took it apart for fun. It started with too much rx axis garbage inputs. I could hardly land without swerving off of the runway. Then, the y axis quit working in Warbirds 2.76 and version III. I decided enough was enough.I took the cheap route and got the MS Sidewinder for $38. It worked fine for 2 days and died. I returned it for another one and it has been working okay for a month now. The travel and feel of the Wingman was better, but I like the Sidewinder okay.Saw your predictions for 2003, Franklin. Hope all is well with you guys.Barry Williamsstill with a b&w G-3 400 overclocked

Guest Allan Jones

Hi Barry!!!!!!Man, it's good to see your name show up! Are things getting back to normal?