Sign in to follow this  

Vector Map

Hello,I am running Fly II with the 240 patch on a G4 iMac, OSX 1.2.How do I make the Vector Map transparent? Checking Transparent on the menu is not working.Thanks

Guest ftessler

Mike,As I recall, this feature never worked in Fly! II. How's the program running for you otherwise?-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerDP 800Fly! for Mac Co-moderator

Franklin,I am running at 12 fps on average. I was wondering what upgrading to OS 10. 2.3 or .5 would do for me in regards to increasing the frame rates.Also would increasing present memory of 256MB do any thing for the frame rates.Mike

Guest ftessler

Mike,I haven't seen any increase in frame rates with the recent incremental OS X updates. However, I'd strongly suggest adding RAM (to 512MB or more) to improve your general performance. -Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerDP 800Fly! for Mac Co-moderator

Franklin,Thanks for the information. I intend to increase the RAM of the iMac, however the Apple site claims the going to OSX v.10.2 from OSXv.10.1.2 will improve OpenGL and improve the performance of the graphics. The iMac has a NVIDIA Geforce2 with 32MB of RAM could this be the weak point of the system?I do get some stalling and hesitation on turns and during landings. Would this be helped with more memory RAM?One more question at this time. What are the upper average frame rates the other are getting on a MAC? Thanks again, Mike

Guest Allan Jones

Mike,I have one of the "lesser" machines of the group. The best rates I've seen are about 17-20 out front with the panel off. External views are hard to benchmark unless everyone sets their view ratio the same, over the same location, at the same FL and time of day, and with the same a/c seen from the same viewpoint.I found it interesting that upgrading my processor from 300 to 500mHz made little difference to FLYII but helped the original Fly 2K quite a bit.You will find that checking rates affects rates. If you can land with reasonable control, put rates behind you. In spite of only modest performance on the rate readings, I enjoy Fly!ing.Have you tried FlyII after booting into OS9 (not Classic)? Some machines run best in X and others from 9.2.2 that's been "treated" by Jag. My daughter's eMac runs Fly under Jag worse than my old Beige, yet gives astounding performance if I boot into 9. That test was before the 240 patch came out.

Allan,I have compared the frame rates of OS 10.1.2 and OS 9.2.2 on my system. Flying the Flyhawk over Chicago at 10:00AM at 5,000 ft. In the spot plane window the fps/cnt for OS 10 was 60-65/10-13 for OS 9 it was 65-75/2-4. OS 9 was giving a smoother frame. But have I been looking at the wrong number as the frame is it really about 62 for OS 10 and 70 for OS 9? I have a digital flatpanel display does this make a difference?Mike

Guest Allan Jones

Mike,The rate you are reading is actually one step "upstream" from the true rate. You have to divide the two to get "real" rate. 70/2 is 35 fps, 60/10 is 6 fps, etc. To get an easier reading, hit ctrl-F to get a moving rate graph on-screen. Horizontal lines are 10 fps.You can also edit the fly.ini file with a text editor, changing the line:allowDebugInfo=0toallowDebugInfo=1Back up the fly.ini file first in case something goes awry.and you get the "true" rate in the lower right corner when you hit TAB, just like in Fly2K. Remember, checking rates affects rates! It takes horsepower to generate either overlay.FP shouldn't make a difference, but I'm still stuck in the CRT world!Sounds like 9 may do the trick for you!

Guest ftessler

Mike,In general, 10.2 was a major improvement over 10.1. The GeForce 2 is not a bad video card - it's what I have in my G4 - but there are much better cards out there now. However, we Mac users have never gotten as much of a boost from video card upgrades as PC users have. As far as Fly! goes, my understanding is that there are other bottlenecks (such as bus speed) that limit performance. The best I've ever gotten under OS X on my Mac is between 25 and 30 FPS (using the frame rate graph) in external view.If I ever find the time, I'm going to install Fly! II on my dual 1GHz Mac at the office and see how it goes.-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerDP 800Fly! for Mac Co-moderator