Sign in to follow this  
Guest ftessler

Interesting Mac Gaming News

Guest ftessler

It's been announced that Mac gaming publisher and developer Destineer has acquired MacSoft, the company that published Fly! II on the Mac. At one point (about a year ago), Destineer had said that they were considering porting MSFS to the Mac. I haven't heard anything since, but this may start something.-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerDP 800Fly! for Mac Co-moderator

It would be nice to have a FS for Mac, so I could fly together with my Windows friend. I probably would have to upgrade hardware. I guess it will have at least the same system reqs as Fly!II. But, miracles can happen!:-hmmm Keep'em flyin'!Bertil PerssonESPC Fr

Guest jsippy

If anyone has been watching Apple and Steve Jobs lately, you may have noticed that Apple is not only growing a little "impatient" with Motorola, but they have also been "courting" INTEL! Thats right... Some of you "uber-geeks" out there may have watched Stevie's latest keynote presentation at MacWorld SF and noticed that the chairman of Intel Corp. was sitting front-row in a section of seats reserved as "Apple VIP Seating". I have also heard reports that Steve Jobs was seen giving Intel's chairman and a few other Intel Corp "higher-ups" the grand tour of the Mac World show floor.hmmm.....A prediction from "Nostro-John-us":- Apple works out a "deal" with Intel- Apple starts building all Macs with some 'amazingly efficient, well-engineered' as-yet-to-be-seen chip made by Intel- PC manufacturers adopt new chip too- MacOS 11 now runs on ANY computer that has new Intel chip- MacOS 11 can now run all Mac and Windows software- Its the ultimate switch!Just a prediction, but remember, you heard it here first;)---John R. SippyChicago, IL, USAPowerMacG4 -Dual 5001024MB RAMnVidiaGF2 - 32MB

HeyJohn,You missed a step on your list.After the Mac OS is finally able to be used on everyones computer, Bill threatens to break the knee caps of anyone making the switch away from Windows :-)Hope Apple finally catches up in the hardware race so OS10 can shine like it should. RegardsPaul

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

Guest ftessler

John,I've been predicting OS X on Intel for the past year or two. In fact, I actually went public with my prediction in Macworld's "crystal ball" piece last year. (It's well known that Apple has OS X running on Intel hardware, but that's not the same as releasing a product.)However, I don't think that Apple will ever allow OS X or its successors to run on non-Apple boxes. At that point, Apple's hardware business would go down the tubes, and Apple is primarily a hardware company. Assuming that Motorola doesn't suddenly get their act together and come up with a 2-3GHz G4/5 in high yields, Apple will have to transition to another CPU. Whether it'll be the IBM 970 or something else remains to be seen.-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerDP 800Fly! for Mac Co-moderator

Guest jsippy

Franklin,Actually, I have read reports on the G5 and a G6 that can do those kind of speeds, but power consumption is terrible, and manufacturing costs are quite high for now. IBM is testing similar chips in their AS400 and RS6000 systems. It is probably the IBM version of those chips that Apple will turn to, unless Intel can offer something equally as powerfull, but much cheaper.I also tend to agree that Apple probably will not release software that will run on just any hardware (ultimately its Apple's firmware vs. PC's BIOS that will make Apple's hardware market secure), but they are already going to be removing the very proprietary Mac BootROM's from their hardware in order to prevent a new Mac from booting OS 9. With the Apple BootROM gone, there is VERY little difference between a "Mac" and a PC in terms of hardware.I can only imagine the reaction from Mac users if Apple makes them transition to yet another processor (remember the days of the first PowerPC's?) Whatever happens, it should prove to be very interesting times to live in, thats for shure!---John R. SippyChicago, IL, USAPowerMacG4 -Dual 5001024MB RAMnVidiaGF2 - 32MB

Guest ftessler

John,Apple did many things wrong in the mid 1990's, but I think that they did an excellent job transitioning from the 680X0 to the PPC. I'll be really pleased if the next transition - whatever it may be - goes so smoothly.-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerDP 800Fly! for Mac Co-moderator

Guest jsippy

I agree, the transition went very well for such a major change. Hopefully the next one will too.---John R. SippyChicago, IL, USAPowerMacG4 -Dual 5001024MB RAMnVidiaGF2 - 32MB