Sign in to follow this  

Little iBook that could...

Hello all! I have been away quite a while, mainly because I did not have Fly! 2 and was not really doing that much with Fly! anymore, but I finally managed to scrape together some money and finally bought a copy of Fly!2 while I was at the Apple Store in the M.O.A. this evening. I figured it would probably be worthwhile since the patch was released a few weeks ago. I bought it even though I was not expecting much preformance out of my 700Mhz iBook, under 10.2.3. Boy was I wrong! Dispite the graphics being a little on the rough side the simulation was as smooth as silk! Running in 800X600 I was getting about 15-20fps with normal scenery around IAD. I still haven't loaded her down yet, nor have I tried any more densily populated areas. I am just really impressed with the Fly! 2. The first time I tried it on a friend's iMac at school it was really slow and klunky. Keep 'em Flyin'Jesse

Guest jsippy

Jesse,Glad to see your post. As it happens, I was just sitting here thinking "hmm, I wonder if Fly2 would run on my PowerBookG3 Firewire?" I have a Dual G4-500 that never really ran Fly2 very well because it has GeForce2mx in it, and Fly2 runs much better with the radeon cards.My little 'ol PowerBookG3 features an ATI RageM3 video card with a whopping 8meg of vram, so I'm not sure how well it will do either.What kind of video card is in that iBook of yours?---John R. SippyChicago, IL, USAPowerMacG4 -Dual 5001024MB RAMnVidiaGF2 - 32MB

Guest Allan Jones

John,The first info we got on Fly II was that it required 16MB VRAM. When we got "real" release disks, the readme said 8MB would work if you turned down settings to 640x480 and 16-bit color. I tried it on my wife's iMac 400 DV with the 8MB ATI chip and it ran at 800x600x32 better than on my G3/300 (pre-ZIF addition) with the ATI Orion with 16MB VRAM. Somewhere in the early posts here you'll find my report.Give it a try--you may be surprised!

John, My iBook has a 16 meg Radeon 7000 in it. My old iMac had about the same graphics card that was in the late G3 Powerbooks, and it had a hard time running Fly!. The first time I tried Fly!2 on a mac was at school last spring, and his newer Snow iMac had a hard time with Fly!2 eventhough it had a 16 meg card as well. Anyways, if you do decide to give it a try I'd like to know how things turn out.Keep 'em Flyin'Jesse

Guest jsippy

Hmmm.... Now I'm really curious!Looks like I will have to dig out my Fly2 install CD and see what happensThanks for the replys, I'll keep you posted---John R. SippyChicago, IL, USAPowerMacG4 -Dual 5001024MB RAMnVidiaGF2 - 32MB