Sign in to follow this  
Guest Allan Jones

Demo Problem

Guest Allan Jones

Yea, I know this is a Fly! forum, but it's also the ultimate source for Mac simming wisdom--thus the question.Has anyone downloaded the X-Plane 7.00 Mac demo? I installed the new version to see how it was with my new Radeon and 19" monitor (monitor size being the critical issue with reading X-Plane menus). The installation went fine but, when I launch X-Plane, it gets part-way into the loading sequence and then does a QTD with a Type 3 error (illegal instruction, as I recall). Everything else on the computer is running fine. The PlaneBuilder utility launches fine.The only "cheat" I'm doing revolves around the Oct 2002 ATI Drivers. I needed them for one of my son's games, but they require OS 9.2.2 (troublesome on some Beige G3s). I found out that what they really want is OpenGL 1.2.2. I got the 9.2.2 updater and extracted OpenGL with TomeViewer and replaced the 1.2.1 extensions with 1.2.2. All works great except for X-Plane.If you have successfully run the 7.00 demo, I'd love to hear from you.

Guest Paul Brooks

Hi allan,I had the same problemwith 7 beta 3.It appears that some of the files that should be .bmp are not, so found the files and opened them in Photoshop and resaved as .bmp.It now appears to be OK.PaulPS I think you will find the files in Resources.

Guest Allan Jones

Thanks, Paul,I'll try this weekend. Did you save in native PS format or something like jpg or tiff?

Guest Paul Brooks

Hi Allan,Save a copy as .bmpThere offending files are all in one folder.Hope this solves your problemPaul

Guest Allan Jones

Paul,Do you remember the specific file(s) that offended? There are a BUNCH of bmps in the Resource folder. I'm still looking, but the only one I found so far is in the AutoGen foder--had a generic icon but was id'ed as a PS file. I opened it , saved as PS, the saved agian as bmp. No longer has a generic icon but still no joy. Quits at the same spot.

Guest Paul Brooks

Hi Allan,I unstuffed it again and you will find the offending files the Resources Folder /Bitmaps, Runways, DIRT folder, GRASS folder, GRAV folder, and LAKEBED folder.They are all .png files (whatever they are) and need to be saved as .bmp files.Hope this will solve it, it did for me.Paul

Guest Allan Jones

Thanks, Paul, that was it!I ended up finding them not too long after I posted last night. There's another pair of suspects in Resources>AutoGen>American. One says bmp but has a generic icon, and the other is IDed as a Quicktime file, although its extent is bmp.I kept launching and watching the list of what was loading in the lower left corner. The Autogen folder showed up as the source of the first hangup; when I fixed those, the progress bar advanced until it reached "Runways." I looked in the runway folder and there were the png files. Gotta luv PhotoShop!I wonder what the guys without Photoshop do?Another observation: the html instructions say that versions 5 and higher won't run on an ADB joystick, but v5 and v6 demos worked fine for me with the old Gravis joystick. However, it is truly dead in 7beta.Thanks again,