Sign in to follow this  
zfehr

Menu bar won't show (always hidden) on fresh install

I am unable to show the menu bar in Fly!II on my father's iMac. Fresh install of all 3 CD's, the program opens fine but there is no menu bar at the top of the screen, pressing the space bar does absolutely nothing. The other keys work (much the same as in the PC version which I have on my home computer). I originally installed the CD's and then patched to latest version 250.240, later uninstalled everything and tried a fresh install of the CD version... still no menu bar. I tried getting into the fly.ini to add the allowHiddenMenubar=1, this file opens with textedit1.1 but when I go to close or save am told to rename because I cannot save with the *.ini extension. I save to fly.ini.rtw, then go back and remove the .rtw extension... the program won't open at all so I'm stuck with the default fly.ini and am unable to edit it.Any help or tips would be appreciated, I have read about not being able to get the menu bar to hide but not about not getting it to show in the first place. I also would love to know if there is a way to edit the fly.ini file, possibly through another application.My father's computer is an iMac 600mHz, I believe at least 256 ram, possibly 512 (I know that he got extra memory when he bought it and it was the top of the line iMac right before the model change occurred. He has the CRT built in and a pearl white see through body. He's running OS9.2 and OS X (10.1.5). I am not very familiar with Macs but would like to help my father get his system up and running.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest tonyc

did you check if a key has been assigned? tony

I can't even get to the menu bar to select key assignments! The space bar should be the default assignment for the menu bar and therefore should be working on a fresh install. If anyone else has an idea or has run into this before please let me know what you did. Which file would I open with the editor to check on key assignments? And if I could open it, how with the problem I stated originally with the text editor would I save any changes?Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

OK, I've re-installed the software over into OS 9.2 and now get the menu bar... frame rates are not too impressive. I did turn off the virtual memory and did confirm that he was running 512 megs ram and a 16MB ATI 128 video card. When I try to open in OS X no menu bar, except if I go to force a shutdown the screen will fade in and out and the menu bar will show, if I cancel... no menu bar. Don't know why, we'll just run in 9.2. I am curious if C4TO version 2 will run on the Mac and if anyone has written a module to allow the mixture lever on the CH USB Yoke to operate the fuel controls in a turboprop. There is a file like this for the PC version but I don't think it will work in a Mac. Thanks anyway for the responses, I will continue helping him tweak and get the best performance he can.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Zane:Did you ever find a fix for Fly! II's non-existent menu while running in OS X?Ed

Guest Allan Jones

I only recently installed 10.2.3 (straight from 9.1) on my old beige and I can get the bar. I'm wondering if it's something to do with 10.1.5. Both of you who are reporting the problem have 10.1.5. I know that earlier versions of X had problems with ATI cards but I thought it was fixed by the time 10.1.5 released.Try toggling in and out of windowed mode (command-return) to see it that forces the bar to appear. Also cycle through all views. That has helped clear up artifacts in the menubar for me.As for editing the .ini file, try it in 9 if you can boot into that OS. I've not had problems saving in 9--haven't tried it in X.

Guest dave_s

Hi everyone, I have much the same problem, having updated to OS10.1.5 for my work reasons, I now have no menu in FlyII howrver, it works fine in OS9.2. I have noticed that there are heaps of patches available...has anyone used these and which ones should one use..Im totally confused. Any answers greatly received.Dave

Guest ftessler

Dave,The final Mac Fly!II patch was released almost one year ago. It applies to the retail version of Fly! II. You'll find a description and link in one of the anchored posts at the top of this forum. I don't have any specific suggestions for 10.1.5. I do know that the menu bar is there for me under 10.2 and 10.3. Performance isn't great, though, and my yoke doesn't work properly. Results on G5 PowerMacs look promising, however.-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerDP 800Fly! for Mac Co-moderator

Guest dave_s

Many thanks FranklinI have downloaded the final patch240, however it asks me to of downloaded a previous patch to work, version 2.00.210 . I just can not seem to locate this for the Mac.Thanks again Dave