Sign in to follow this  
Guest towser9

Setup help for newbie - OSX

Guest towser9

Looks like I'm a little late to the party, but hopefully there are still some veterans who can help a newbie into the game quickly. I bought Fly! II nearly a year ago, but due to system limitations haven't been able to run it. However, I've just put in a G4 1.4ghz upgrade, upgraded video card, and gone to ebay to get CH Yoke LE and Pedals. So I was all set to go. Imagine my disappointment to find the controllers unrecognized and no help in the manuals. In looking here I've learnt OS X seems to be a big problem. However, I am a confirmed OS X (Panther now) user and would rather not reboot into OS9. (I did that for the first time in nearly a year last night and immdiately ran into the forgotten nightmare of extensions conflicts, desktop rebuilds, etc. - geez I love Panther!) In short, couldn't get Fly!II to run well in either 9 or X. So are there any quick set-up guides and tips someone can point me to? Also is there a mapping guide for the OS X helper shareware (I forgot the name now-not at my Mac) to set up the controllers? It seems to assume there are keyboard keys to assign to controller buttons but I don't know what they'd be in Fly! II.Also any other tips would be appreciated. Go with "Final Patch" or no? etc.Any help, large or small, would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,G4/400 upd to 1.4 ghz, 768mg RAM, OSX 10.3.2, nvidea 4mx (?), CH USB Yoke LE and USB Pedals, dual monitors

Guest Paul Brooks

Hi towser9,Fly II runs well on my machine except for the joystick, a Saitek, which is all but useless, I suspect that you will encounter similar problems with your set-up.You should upgrade to the latest patch and also there is a patch for OS X.If you have dual boot capability then I suggest that you start up in OS9 and I think that Fly will run, however it will not run under Classic.There is a usb tweak programme called USB Overdrive that may help you, though I have no success with it.According to the CH site your yoke and pedals should be ok, but I have my doubts.The only problem I have had is the joystick, the frame rates are reasonable and in my opinion the graphics are much clearer with more depth of colour compared to FlyII on my PC.Many of the add-ons work, but there a few that don't.Hope this helps.Paul

Guest jomar111

Hello towser9 and Paul,I had those same problems on an eMac a friend just got, he is running panther and can not reboot into OS9 but we have fly working on it going at 24 frames per sec an acceptable framerate. we encountered the same problems with my joystick as well but the situation was remedied by buying a new joystick. Was the problem w/ the joystick that it was never centered? that was my problem, actually I still have it on my OSX G4 power mac (but i reboot into OS9 for the killer frame rates at higher screen resolutions) My friend was using a Thrustmaster Top Gun v 1 joystick and its inputs were way off to one side of the axes we purchased a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and now its working perfectly! and in OSX too! There are solutions for every problem. What I would do towser is patch Fly! II to the final patch 2.5.240 and start in OSX, if you have a speedy enough system, you'll probobly be content, if not I suggest using it on OS 9 like I am. When your in Fly! and inside an aircraft, press tab twice to see your frame rates at the bottom right corner, then switch views around by pressing C (there's about 5 views) take a look at your speeds below 24 frames per second is a little to low but still ok (on my old iMac I would get 16 frames if I was lucky!) I hope this tyrade of mine helps you out in any way. For my experience w/ Fly! II its been trial and error mostly. Good Luckromanjomar111http://fly.simvol.org/logoperso/roman.jpg

Guest towser9

It does help. I'll try out your tips. Thanks to you both. T.

Guest Allan Jones

I. too, have the joystick problem with a Saitek ST220. In OS9, I have to set up controls every time I launch FlyII but at least the setting stick through that session. In OSX, I have the offset problem that was mentioned that I've been unable to fix.It has to be some misfit between Fly II and the Saitek, because the Saitek does great in X-Plane. Everything works fine. There is a tiny workabout with using in in X-Plane--to get the throttle slider to respond, I have to go to the chase view and flex the stick. Not a problem because its like doing a normal walkaround with a real aircraft. Then, on returning to the cockpit, everything works.I need to reconnect the old Gravis ADB stick I used for years before adding USB capability. If it works, that's an "out" that can co-exist with the USB stick. However, rates in X are poor compared to OS9. I also am into X (Jaguar for me) and seldom need Classic any more, much less a boot into OS9.When we were beta testing FlyII, OSX was new and not as refined as today, With TRI development stopping before the later refinments in X were finalized, I don't hold out much hope for a better experience.Allan

Guest ftessler

Welcome to the party.I understand your reticence to boot into OS 9. I've been using OS X exclusively for over a year, and I can't remember the last time I ran OS 9 on any of my newer Macs. Having said that, however, you'll still get the best performance under 9. I also have the CH Yoke, and I've not been able to get the controls to work correctly under X.-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerDP 800Fly! for Mac Co-moderator

Guest jomar111

The CH Yoke doesn't work correctly on Fly II OS X? I was about to buy one, and actually while we're on the subject. I built my own yoke from an old "Top Gun" joystick and its working perfectly, Now I just need to put my mac to my projector, and I will get the greatest flying experience in the WORLD!!! Even my little brother has recently gotten addicted to fly II and Is building an actual simulator! A basic cockpit with windows and working buttons, all types of peddles, toe-brakes and two throttles (1 each engine), the works everyting like a real jet bi-motor (based on the Peregrine)Actual cockpits can be found at the following link:http://www.projectmagenta.comI have run into a small caveat though and I do not know what to do! I wanted to use a large amount of computer monitors to display different views, some gauges and other stuff, So i could be able to extend the illusion of flying. Does Fly! II recognise multiple monitors? if so how many? I certainly hope so...but if this is the case how can I make the computer show two windows at once ie projector shows cockpit inside monitor on left window show cockpit 90degrees left as on the right? Has anybody tried this?Thanks in advance!RomanPS- head over to AVSim Library and download the Caravelle for Fly II v1.0 I created it on my may mostly 85% or so was done on mac! Thank you again

Guest tcarmona

Hello Everybody, It's been now one year since I don't apear in this forum and I hope I can make you relax regarding the CH yoke and Pedals working on OSX.I have a iMac 1 GHz with 756MB Ram, and I have CH YOKE USB and PEDALS USB too and they work fine...but they didn't!!!. and they didn't over the Jaguar (OS 10.2) when I upgraded to the Panther (now 10.3.2) they start to work very well in fact! You can buy it, no problem!I used to have a Joystick, a Thurstmaster Top Gun "something" USB and worked well to, but you're right, it was difficult to center it in some axis. But was almost fine.I didn't tried CH products over OS 9.2.2 so I can't help you about it. Upgrade everything to the last upgrades (FlyII - Patch 2.50.240 - and the OSX to 10.2.3) and I asure you that they will work, even if you have to install the FlyII again... I've done it!Thank youAntonio CarmonaLisbon.Portugal.Europe.World.