Sign in to follow this  
Guest jackal

New Guy

Guest jackal

Im a Mac user- many years ago a small plane pilot , now just looking to have a little fun .I have an old imac and looking to upgrade . thinking of the new G-5 imac ...What flight sims can I run with this unit and when ordering is there anything extra I should get ??I will be greatfull for any good information for i am new to flight sims and computers as well .Thanks Jackal

Guest tonyc

As far as I know, FLY2 is the only civilian sim for the mac. You have to find a copy first and then I think you can have some fun with it. I don't know how FLy2 would run on a pc emulator.tony

Guest Paul Brooks

Hi Jacal,I run FlyII on a G5 1.8 dual Desktop, using Mac OS10.3 and a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, which works very well, giving frame rates in the middle 20's, but I do not know how an iMac would cope. I assume that if the iMac has a 64meg graphics card the it would probably run OK.It is important that you update to the latest Mac Patch which is 240.sit, obtainable from the Avsim library, but be aware that when the file in unstuffed that the CONTENTS of the resulting folders are copied to the corresponding folders in your main FlyII folder.Most of the add-ons work cross-platform, but to be on the safe side only install one add-on at a time, then if it makes Fly crash you can remove it.Paul

Guest Allan Jones

Paul,What did you do to get the flightstick recognized in OSX? You may have a unique distinction here, as I don't remember anyone elsewho has succeeded. That issue shut me down, as I seldom boot into OS9 any more.Allan

Guest Allan Jones

Hi Jackal,The other non-military Mac flight sim is X-Plane. It plays very well with OSX. It is hungry for VRAM--although the web site says 16MB VRAM min, I know that 32 is barely workable. A 64MB card should do well, but think 128 if you are really interested in running X-Plane. The current version of XP comes on DVD; the G5s can handle that.When FlyII refused to work with my flightstick in OSX, I moved to X-Plane. Yes, I miss many of the things in Fly! but I am getting a decent measure of satisfaction with XP. The X-plane developer uses Macs for his development work, so the compatibility is excellent. Allan

Guest Giordano45

Good evening everybodyafter a long break I'm returning to flight simulation. I used to fly with Fly! on my Mac and enjoyed it very much, but then I encountered so many problems with Fly! II and OSX that I shifted to X-Plane. Now with my new G5 Dual 1.8 I've tested Fly! II once more (I always regretted those wunderful cockpits ..), but my CH-SimYoke is not recognised by Fly! II.Is there a Mac User in this forum with a possible solution?Giordano

Guest Paul Brooks

Hi Allan,I remember someone stating that they had successfully used a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro with FlyII and when I replaced my previous Mac with my current one I decided to try it and it did indeed function OK, though the Saitek that I was using previously was the same as you and many other Mac Fly'ers had reported.One problem you may have is that your old G3 will boot either OS9 or OS10, whereas the G5 and G4 (later models) will only boot in OS10, and I suspect that that is the reason the Logitech works.But I will reiterate that Logitech Extreme 3D Pro does work very well with Fly!II on a G5 Mac.Hope this helps to clarify the situation.Paul

Allan,I am using the same joystick as Paul is and also running under OS 10.3.2.However my G4 flatpanel iMac has only 32MB of video memory so my frame rates range between 10 -18 fps most of the time.I had no problems with the setup of the joystick.Mike

Guest Giordano45

Hi PaulI've got also a G5 1.8 Dual and I try to get back to Fly!2 - hoping for better framerates. Have you been able to install some Terramodels like biber.pod, oder StevesModels.pod? I tried but Fly!2 always crashed.I also have a Logitech Extremde 3D Pro, and it works fine. I also managed to get my CH-FlightSimYoke working.Max

Guest tlc8126

Jackal,Check out "http://www.flightgear.org/".Tom C