Sign in to follow this  
Guest Giordano45

Fly!2 for Mac with CH-Flight Sim Yoke: problems

Guest Giordano45

Hello!After a long pause I try to come back to Fly!2 as I have a G5 Dual 1.8 now. Working with a Joystick (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro) is no problem, but I can't get my CH-Flight Sim Yoke working. Somewhere I've read that it isn't possible any more with Fly!2 and OS 10.3. Does a MacUser in this forum know more about it?Thank you for your help!Max

Guest Allan Jones

Hi Max,Lots of us are having trouble with USB flight sticks with Fly! II under OSX. A long time back, someone reported limited success using USB Overdrive to set up the controller. I haven't tried it--my Saitek stick is DOA under Jag.http://www.usboverdrive.com is, I believe, the website. Might also be on VersionTracker.com.Allan

Guest Giordano45

Hi Allanthank you for your mail. In the meantime I managed to get the Flight Sim Joke working (do not ask me how :-) ). But there are other problems: As soon as I want to install some Terramodels (biber.pod, StevesModels.pod, and so on, Fly!2 just crashes. I guess it is only for PC?Max

Guest Giordano45

Hello MikeI place for example "STEVES MODELS.POD" in the Scenery/shared - Folder and "STEVES MODELS.mlf" in the data-folder as requested. As soon as I want to restart fly, it loads - and crashes :-(( Max

Hi MaxIf I understand you correctly, presently you have no extra model files loaded on Fly II and it launches OK. If you load any of the add-on model files Steve's or Biber's for example Fly II will crash for you as soon as you start up. Is this correct? Do you get any error message when this happens?Mike

Guest Giordano45

Hi Mikeyes, actually there are no add-on model files in the scenery/shared-Folder. As soon as I place biber's or steve's files, Fly! will start normally, but just before I see the plane turning on the runway, Fly! quits without any error message ...Max

MaxI really do not have a clue as to what the problem is.Can you teleport to another airport with these scenery files loaded and before you start you aircraft?In the fly.ini file make sure that you have:searchpodfilesfirst=0allowdebuginfo=1Mike

Guest Giordano45

Hi Mikethank you for your continous support! In fact, I had to change the fly.ini files (it was searchpodfilesfirst=0allowdebuginfo=1). There is a slight progress now: I can see the plane on the runway, but as soon as I want to open a window, for ex. for choosing another airport or for calibrating, it crashes again :-(The .mlf in the data folder has no effect, it is the .pod file in the scenery/share folder that causes the crash ...Max

Guest ftessler

It's been many system revs since I've been able to get my yoke to work under OS X. In fact, Fly II performance under OS X has never been more than passable on my Mac.Nevertheless, I'm still hoping that things will improve when I move up to a G5 later this year. I'd love to get back to Fly!.-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerDP 800Fly! for Mac Co-moderator

Hi Everyone............its been a while,Has anyone any indication as to whats causing the problem with the joysticks etc. Is it a Mac OSX issue, FLYII issue or a USB issue (Joystick software).I'll conduct some tests and report back, Hopefully we can identify where the problem lies.RegardsJohn

Guest ftessler

Hey, John.It has been awhile.I don't know what the problem is, but I know that it's been there for at least the last few OS X iterations. Personally, I'd love to be able to hook up my joystick and run Fly! again.-Franklin------------------------------Franklin TesslerDP 800Fly! for Mac Co-moderator

Hi Franklin,I'm currently still using FLYII and have been developing various bits and bobs for a while now. Having tried a few other sims, FLYII still has the most realism to me, especially if your prepared to develop and tweak the sim a little.Yes....I am aware of the slow frame rates and the problem with the USB joysticks.......but I still love the sim and know it just need more development from Mac users.I'm using a USB CH joystick and it works fine (apart from the rudder, which I use the keyboard instead).I'm going to try and see if I can get the Mac community involved in its development and along with some other great news which you'll hear about soon lets see if we can make our sim annd hobby more enjoyable.I've enclosed a couple of pics of my MD83 to show what can be acheived on a MAC!!Regards to you allJohn

Guest ftessler

Hi, John.Fly! was always top notch at recreating a realistic feeling in the cockpit. But I remember all the effort the user community put into creating out-the-window realism. Fly!'s original scenery was quite rudimentary - ribbons for roads and rivers, and so on. It was a revelation when people started using satellite imagery for some areas. Then came TerraScene, which let us create fairly realistic scenery for large areas.I was playing around with Google's new map feature the other day - once you pull up a map, you can load a detailed satellite view with one click. I was thinking how great scenery like that would look in Fly!I'm pleased to hear that your yoke works. Do you use USB Overdrive with it?------------------------------Franklin TesslerDP 800Fly! for Mac Co-moderator