Sign in to follow this  
Guest tlc8126

Looking for Mac app

Guest tlc8126

I am looking to see where I can pickup a copy of any one of the Fly! sims for my iMac G5. I have heard of people selling on eBay, but they require an account. Are there any other resources for Mac users to pickup a copy of Fly!, Fly!2k, or Fly! II ?Thanks, Tom C

Guest Allan Jones

Hi Tom,I've not seen it around in quite a while. After Richard Harvey died, Terminal Reality seemed to walk away from the genre.I found a PC copy at a GameSpot Store in Portland OR about a year ago and picked it up, mostly to have the orig box. It was about US$8, as I recall. If you don't want to use eBay (I understand completely), then I can only suggest continuing to surf around.At one point, a Portland web order outfit listed it. Try http://www.powermax.com. They also have a couple of retail outlets; if you can't find it on their web site, email Gary Mead (gary@powermax.com) and see if he can look around for a copy.Shreve Systems sometimes has older Mac software, too.As your computer does not boot into OS9, I recommend you stay away from Fly! and Fly!2K--they are not OSX native and will absolutely disappoint in Classic. I tested some graphics programs in both OS9 and Classic under the same conditions and the frame rates in Classic were about half those I saw in OS9. It's like they could not see my massive video card. Some games had input controller glitches in Classic that were non-existent in and OS9 boot.AJ

Guest tlc8126

Allen, thanks for the reply.As it is, I have quite a number of older Macs (PowerMac's mostly). The one I like the best (next to my iMac G5) is an old Power Macintosh 7600 that I have upgraded with a Sonnet Tech G3 processor card running at 800 MHz. I don't remember off hand how much RAM I had installed in the 7600, but I was able to get OS X 10.1.5 installed. It runs quite well. Without a PCI Graphics accelerator do you think that an original Fly! or possibly a Fly! 2K might work with decent frame rates on the built in video? I would like to upgrade to a PCI Graphics card someday (along with a bigger IDE hard drive and a USB/Firewire PCI card) but financially that isn't going to happen (new baby in the house - 3rd girl - 'nuf said!). I have a WinXP Pro, Athlon 3200+ system that I could do some Fly! Legacy stuff on, but I'd end up wanting to hack the source code and wouldn't spend any time flying (the real reason for this discussion)! I have Fly!II and Fly!, and only Fly! II is currently installed on the XP system. It runs fine, but my nVidia GeForce3 Ti 200 card started acting up some time ago, and I had to replace it with a somewhat lower powered FX5500. (Well, for some reason the FX5500 'seems' to be lower powered compared to my older GeForce3 card.) Now I see glitches every minute or so, but at least its' fly-able.Right now I'm playing around on my iMac getting FlightGear setup to use my CH Flight Yoke LE, and CH Pedals. But I have to get the right joystick axes and buttons setup which is causing me to hack the source code for PLIB, SimGear, and FlightGear, to be able to run the joystick utility and find out what the axes numbers are, etc. - what a mess! (My retail copy of X-Plane worked fine after using the Joystick setup/calibration dialog window...)Anyway, I'll take a look around at the links you mentioned (along with eBay and other online auction sites) just to see if I can find anything. I am definitely looking for Fly! II for the Mac, but don't even know how well it will work on my G5. (Life's a gamble...)Thanks for your input!Tom C

Guest tlc8126

Thanks, but I picked up a copy for the Mac from eBay.I don't exactly like the way the program changes resolutions, or how my dock stays in front of the helicopter 'loading' screen. And there is no included scenery editor like there is in the PC version. So I am going to try and create some tools like these for myself (including a pod program like 'podview' which comes with Fly! II). If I get them working I'll mention it here in case some one wants to be an alpha tester.Otherwise it works fine. (I need to test it with my CH FlightSim Yoke LE and Pro Pedals - not to mention seeing if it will work with TerraScene scenery data.)Aloha'sThomas C.

Glad to hear u have it running on ur Mac now :-)Regarding the scenery editor - it is included. "Apple" key + "E" is the magic combination.But please keep developing the tools. We need them.

Guest tlc8126

Thanks, I found it this morning. I tried using the Database editor, but it has a couple of problems. Changing directories from the main Fly! II install directory to the Database directory where I copied my unpodded DBD (dbt, dbi, etc) files didn't work. It just continued to display the Fly! II install/root directory. I copied the unpodded runway files to the Fly! II install/root directory, but when I tried to open the DBD database file the Database Editor seemed to lock up. (I haven't tried it with Mac OS 8 or 9, but OS X 10.4[.5] didn't seem to work.)With this kind of application issue how can I not continue to program for the Mac?Aloha'sThomas C.

Hi I just made the switch to an Apple MacBook Pro and I was wondering which is the best flight simulator for MacBook Pro and also user friendly?