Sign in to follow this  

PODView Problem

Hi there. I am working my way through the "Create TS2 Fly!2K Scenery using Fly!2 Generic Textures" tutorial, and I've come up on an early snag. I can't seem to use PODView to extract the base texture files from Fly!2's gentex.podI have tried it with clean installs of Fly!2K, Fly!2, and PODView, on two different machines.On one machine I get an "Out of Memory" error (and I think not likely, as it has 512mb, and I'm running minimal/no other applications).On the other machine (also 512mb) PODView just seems to freeze once I point it at gentex.pod.Any ideas?Sorry for reposting this - no-one seemed to be looking at my "I need help!" post - I figure I should have used "Question" instead...

Waldo,This manual process has been completely automated in TerraScene 2.1, plus it fixes some problems that the manual process does not fix. 2.1 will automatically extract the generic textures, enhance the saturation, plus it eliminates the texture borders so they are seamless. Also, if you have Fly2 version 230, TS2.1 will automatically launch the slicer so the entire scenery making process is automatic. You can download 2.1 here:http://ftp.avsim.com/library/sendfile.php?DownloadID=12437Todd

Hi Todd. Thanks for the advice.I'll see if I can put it in context when I'm at work tomorrow.I have already tried this a couple of times using TS2.1 - the reason I was going to try and pull it apart manually (as per the 'tutorial') is that TS2.1 keeps stopping and asking for a whole bunch of textures (prefixed HITW-TS2-.jpg) that don't exist in the base texture folder (or anywhere else, as far as I can tell - even after doing the whole "Make me one with Fly!" thing, and giving it access to gentex.pod from Fly!2I'm not sure what version of Fly!2 I am dealing with - but I am trying to make the scenery for Fly!2k (which is Fly!1, right, in it's 'final patch' configuration? God I hope so... my tenuous grip on sanity would give way).Short version - I am trying to make Fly!1 Scenery - I just happen to have access to Fly!2. I'm not sure I want to use the whole Fly!2.3 'automatic' process, because I won't be able to use the generated scenery with Fly!1, right? I hope I'm wrong.Thanks once again for your help.Billy (waldo is just my wrestling name ;) )

Billy,I believe you have to have Fly!II patched to build 230 in order to extract the pod with TS 2.1. When you start Fly!II and it gets to the Startup Screen (Graphics Options), look at the bottom of the options window to see what version you are running. It should list something like: 2.1.230 indicating build 230. If not, you need to download the latest beta 230 patch from the library and apply it. Before you can apply the 230 patch, you must be patched up to build 210 - if your number is lower than this, you'll need to take care of that patch first. Check Salty's FAQ at the top of the General Forum for patch procedures.After extracting the gentex.pod from Fly!II automatically with the installation of TS 2.1, you should point TS to Flyedit 1.06 which you should have placed in the root directory of Fly!2K. Flyedit will then automatically slice and pod for Fly!/Fly!2K using those textures.For more control making scenery for Fly!2K, I recommend having Flyedit 1.05 also available to use for manual control and slicing. It has more control (and stability) than 1.06 for this purpose, though you will need 1.06 for automatic production. Just rename it something like "Edit15.exe" and place it in the root directory of Fly!2K along with v1.06 "Flyedit.exe". Now you can use either one, mattering on your needs. I would also highly recommend Frank Racis' wonderful Globe Tiles program - this gives you tremendous podding control after manual slicing.

Randall Rocke

Billy,The reason you are getting those errors is because you are trying to use textures that you don't have. When you select the texture pak in the New Project Wizard, make sure you selectBase Fly!2 Generic Textures (7.5 m/p) from the list. The other ones require textures that are no longer available for download.Todd

Thanks once again - I'll check it out...

Thanks for the feedbackIf I don't get far with Todd's last feedback (about using the wrong textures - d'oh!) I'll follow this lead.Regards