Sign in to follow this  

Does it take 64 megs to see Terrascene?

Having seen the really beautiful Salt Lake City post in the screenshots forum, I have to ask:Is 32 megs of video ram enough?I can't see anything close to that level of detail; maybe Terrascene is working OK on my system after all...8^OAndrew

Andrew,Dominique has rendered the Lake Tahoe area and he has a 32mb card. His files are in the library. Best suggestion is if you have TS 2.1, do a small area and find out how it does. TS 2.1 can be completely customized for all kinds of things.I have a 1.2 GHZ Athlon, 512mb Ram, and a GeForce2 GTS Pro 64mb Vid. card.It really comes down to compromise, as usual. Knowing your render.ini math helps too, but there are tools in the library to help you with that.I am experimenting with different render files in diffferent areas using the FlyStart tool.Remember most areas are not Terrascened in Fly!II, you have to do it yourself or download what is available in the library.Regards,Joe :-wavehttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Thanks - Actually, I have tried rendering - see my thread below - didn't see any difference, so I must be doing something wrong!Andrew>Andrew, >>Dominique has rendered the Lake Tahoe area and he has a 32mb >card. His files are in the library. Best suggestion is if >you have TS 2.1, do a small area and find out how it does. >TS 2.1 can be completely customized for all kinds of things. >>I have a 1.2 GHZ Athlon, 512mb Ram, and a GeForce2 GTS Pro >64mb Vid. card. >>It really comes down to compromise, as usual. Knowing your >render.ini math helps too, but there are tools in the >library to help you with that. >>I am experimenting with different render files in diffferent >areas using the FlyStart tool. >>Remember most areas are not Terrascened in Fly!II, you have >to do it yourself or download what is available in the >library. >>Regards, >Joe :-wave >>http://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg >http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Hi Andrew!Do you have this line set to 0 in the Fly!.ini? :{UI}askUserForGraphicSettings=0defaultStartScreen=1lastUsedScreen=1937011316askBeforeExiting=1gLastUsedSituation=searchPodFilesFirst=0multiplayerName=logbookFile=Log BooksDefault.log

No, it's set to "1"...Which should it be?(he asked, while jumping to the other computer to try it... :)Andrew>Hi Andrew! >>Do you have this line set to 0 in the Fly!.ini? : >>>{UI} >askUserForGraphicSettings=0 >defaultStartScreen=1 >lastUsedScreen=1937011316 >askBeforeExiting=1 >gLastUsedSituation= >searchPodFilesFirst=0 >multiplayerName= >logbookFile=Log BooksDefault.log

You must set it to 0.It says to Fly! to load add-ons first. I don't remember if it's needed for scenery, but I suppose. Tell me if it works!Pascal

Thanks again Pascal - Strange, I always thought a "1" meant "on", which seems like it would be telling it to search for extra pods first...Well, I'm re-rendering a small area for testing... I'll report back!Andrew>>You must set it to 0. >>It says to Fly! to load add-ons first. I don't remember if >it's needed for scenery, but I suppose. Tell me if it works! >>Pascal

Guest Dean

I don't think this setting effects TS2 since they are pod files. If your not seeing any difference than your TS2 scenery is not loading. You would immediately notice highways, city streets, lakes, rivers, etc. If you have multiple TS2 POD files for adjoining areas sometimes they conflict and prevent one from loading. If you have only one POD file than make sure you have the corresponding *.scf file in the scenery directory with your TS2 POD file. No, you do not need 64 meg of video memory to see the TS2 scenery. Enabling this selection at the setup screen just tells Fly II to load the high res textures for the default scenery. You might need 64 meg to get decent peformance with the TS2 scenery though.

Actually, changing this setting seems to have worked. Now if I had just rendered the area I *intented* to render :)Regarding 64 megs - I got no noticeable slowdown when flying over a TS area - though I'm curious to see if it would look any sharper with 64 megs.I'm in the process of converting a new region right now, and if I can figure out how to take screenshots I'll post them.Andrew>I don't think this setting effects TS2 since they are pod >files. If your not seeing any difference than your TS2 >scenery is not loading. You would immediately notice >highways, city streets, lakes, rivers, etc. If you have >multiple TS2 POD files for adjoining areas sometimes they >conflict and prevent one from loading. If you have only one >POD file than make sure you have the corresponding *.scf >file in the scenery directory with your TS2 POD file. >>No, you do not need 64 meg of video memory to see the TS2 >scenery. Enabling this selection at the setup screen just >tells Fly II to load the high res textures for the default >scenery. You might need 64 meg to get decent peformance with >the TS2 scenery though.