Sign in to follow this  
Guest Colins2

New Utility for Scenery deveopment

Guest Colins2

Hi All,Just about finished a new utility I've been working on for a while now.In a nutshell, it is a translation tool for dxf/shapefiles to allow editing before adding to TerraScene.It will be more useful to those creating non-US scenery than anyone else, but there are a couple of useful features for everyone.It should be available very soon, but if anyone wants to test it as is - drop me a line.A first draft of the manual can be got from My Hangar SiteAll comments are welcome - good or bad :-)Colin

Guest Mgarmy

Hello Colin,I downloaded the manual and will have a look if I can be of any asistance. I am right now doing my first Terrascene project for the Netherlands and are starting to hit some roadblocks.From what I have gathered so far from your document is that I can manually increase the detail level which may be just what I am missing right now.Looking forward to have a look at TerraShape.Cheers,Mannie

Hi!This is fantastic news for us non-US flyers. Terrashape opens up a whole new world of opportunities for making, and not least sharing scenery. I have been working with Terrascene and shapefiles for some weeks now, and the lack of detail force me to add/edit the TGA in Photoshop. Editing the inaccurate coastline is a very time consuming job, editing both the watermask and the day TGA (making them identical). Sharing the finished scenery demands large storage space, and high-speed connections.Your tool gives us the possibility to do all the editing in the shapefile, and then distribute it for people to render the scenery themselves (downloading just a few KB).Thank You very much for this tool.:-xxrotflmaoRegardsAndre HeggstadNorway

Guest Hagar

Hi Colin,Long time no see ! How are work these days ? And HOLY SMOKE Terrashape is good news ! I remember we discussed this a long time ago. Now i can make correct coastlines without having to import elevation data, which still has its bugs...Done all this on board, of course ? :)

Guest Colins2

Hi Andrew,Just on our way back from Canada, been working on the Terranova project there.Some of the work was done here, but actually most at home :-)As far as coastlines go, yes you can edit them, BUT what you see on screen is not what Fly! uses for coastlines!Fly! has a separate set of data from where it draws the default coastline. It also uses this database to decide what is land and what is water. That's why some airfields end up in the sea!Chris Wallace has some ideas about these issues, but nothing soon, I fear.I'll post a message here when I put the program on my site.Colin

Guest Hagar

Ahh, Canada, my last job was outside Sable Island -had a couple of nice days in Halifax too :)I have two airports sticking out in the sea, (one is my Terrascened Kjevik), but no sinking where the taxiways go, so I guess it will work fine.Anyway its a big saver, not having to edit two tga`s in a paint program, but letting the fixed shapefile do the job. Looking forwardto try it out !