Sign in to follow this  
KevinAu

Question about flying VFR in Class B airspace...

Hi.Let's say you're flying VFR to some airport, just about any airport actually, that is within ClassB airspace...when you get into the Class B airspace, you are supposed to request permission, right? Then the controller will give you traffic advisories such, just as if you were on flight following.But what do you do when you are approaching the airport where you plan to land, and you're still talking to the other controller? Do you just ignore him and switch to tower? Or are you not allowed to fly VFR into such airports or what?Also, what do you do when you want to land at an airport that is within another airport's airspace?FS2k2 is a bit confusing in this.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Often times there is what is known as a VFR corridor; this is a cut out of the Class B that allows VFR traffic to transition the airspace without talking to a controller. As long as you stay within the boundaries, both lateral and vertical, you can fly through and do what you please.If the VFR corridor doesn't suit you for whatever reason, you can contact the controlling facility (approach control) and ask for permission to transition. They will either clear you into the airspace and give you restrictions on where you can go, or they will tell you to remain clear. If they clear you in, you will be given a transponder code and are expected to follow all their instructions. Essentially, you are an IFR aircraft once you have entered the airspace. (FS2K2 does not model this completely accurately) Approach control will continue to give you traffic advisories, much like you had requested flight following. As you approach the airport you wish to land, the controller should advise you to contact the tower before you enter his airspace. If for whatever reason he doesn't (controllers can miss these things with the kind of workload they carry), you can request a frequency change. Upon being issued the frequency change you will be advised to "Squawk VFR" meaning you switch your transponder back to 1200, at which point you are no longer under the control of Approach.When flying out of an airport that exists within some other airport's airspace you would make an attempt to contact the controlling facility before you took off letting them know your intentions and asking their permission to enter the airspace. (This can be done by telephone or radio) If you couldn't reach them on the ground you would take off and then call them as soon as possible after takeoff. When landing you would simply contact the controlling facility before entering the airspace and advise them of your intentions to land at the uncontrolled field.Hope this answers your question-Rob

In the Detroit area the best idea is usually to try to stay out of the class B when vfr. You can usually navigate under it and get where you want. As an interesting flight try flying from Grosse Isle, Mi north-you can fly right up the Detroit river, over downtown Detroit and stay under the class B-do it just right and avoid the Detroit city airspace also.You also must hear the words "cleared into the class b airspace" to enter. There was a famous case a few years ago with the Detroit B-a cargo flight called to enter the airspace-was given a squack code-he proceded in and was busted upon landing. Because he didn't hear the golden words above, he was not cleared-the code isn't enough like it is in class C airspace.I have on two occasions, requested vfr through the Detroit class B-both times they vectored me right over the runway at 3000 ft. (kinda amazing seeing the traffic land and takoff below you) which wasn't anywhere near where I wanted to be,and then sent me all over the place. I have found when I want to get somewhere vfr-much quicker to plot a course that just goes around it-in my case always directly to jxn. I think they probably prefer that also.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif

Guest KenG

Just to expand on what others have said, once you are cleared into the Bravo and are approaching your destination airport, if the controller doesn't tell you to change frequencies (common when destination is non-controlled or airspace your in is busy), I just call out, "Tampa Approach, Skyhawk 733UJ, have the airport in sight." They'll usually respond with, "Roger, descend to XXX altitude (usually TPA), squawk 1200, radar service terminated." You should never change frequencies when being controlled without asking permission or telling them your intentions.

Thanks for the insights. Always interesting to hear how stuff like this works in real life.It does then seem like FS2002 doesn't completely model this.In FS2002, if I am in the Class B airspace, I can fly to within a mile of the airport and the controller still won't hand me off.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

You are correct. The MSFS ATC World does not completely model everything in Real ATC World. If you are getting VFR advisories in MSFS ATC, you will have to switch to tower on your own initiative when you near your destination. Since the last thing you asked for was either flight following or Class B/C transition, the computer has no idea of your landing intentions and will therefore not switch you over to the appropriate tower. Remember that it is just a computer program, stupid is as stupid does.