Sign in to follow this  

What does Fly!II do that's different for AI aircraft?

I have an aircraft which works fine as a flyable airplane within Fly!II. However, whenever the model is selected as an AI aircraft, Fly!II crashes with an access violation error.I'm trying to understand what Fly!II does that's different for AI aircraft but I haven't figured it out yet.To try narrowing it down, I've removed all custom subsystems and gauges so my dlls are not the problem.I've removed all other aircraft from the aircraft folder. This was to make sure it wasn't a conflict with other aircraft gauge names etc.If I start Fly!II with no AI aircraft selected, it defaults to my aircraft and I can look around inside and out, fly, use standard switches etc.If I select one AI aircraft (which will be another instance of mine since there are no others in the system), it crashes to the desktop.Anyone have any ideas what might be causing the crash?Eddie

Eddie-do you have medium- and low-detail versions of your aircraft? It's well known that AI aircraft use those versions instead of the high-polygon version to display.

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Hi Lefteris,Thanks for the reply.>do you have medium- and low-detail versions of your >aircraft?Well, yes and no!I haven't produced the medium and low detail versions yet, but I have entries in the LOD file pointing to the high detail model for both medium and low detail use. This seems to work ok when I fly without the AI aircraft.Also, I tried pointing the LOD file at the Flyhawk's medium and low detail models and, again, that works fine when I fly without the AI aircraft selected (I can see the model change to the flyhawk as it goes beyond the high detail range).I'll try producing proper lower resolution versions of my model and try again.Eddie

Sorry to all those who knew this anyway, but it appears that AI aircraft need a .FCS (flight control system?) file even if the user controlled aircraft doesn't.I knew this was needed for an aircraft with an autopilot (mine doesn't have one) but it appears that it's also needed for any aircraft that might be selected for AI use (and I think that means all of them!)I would have thought that if an aircraft didn't have a .FCS file it wouldn't have been selected for AI use but ...Anyway, just thought I'd share my stupidity with y'all.Eddie

Does this mean I will be getting an update in the email shortly? :-lolDavid.

It could happen - if I don't get dragged away onto other things like work 'n stuff :-abduct .Eddie