Sign in to follow this  

Problem with Runwayfix

Can anyone help? I am running Fly2 patched to version 230. As I am currently training in the real world at Jandakot(YPJT) airport, Perth, Western Australia, I use the excellent capabilities of Fly2 to supplement that training. However it appears that the runways for Jandakot have had a brain scramble. Runways 06L/24R & 06R/24L have swapped around i.e. 06L appears to the right of 06R! I don't know whether this is due to a bug/error in Fly2 or something has happened during my many updates and downloads.I have Terramodels 2.1 which contains the utility Runwayfix.exe, and apparently allows editing of runways and updates the Runway.pod file, however no matter how I try I cannot successfully get this application to work.I load Jandakot into Terramodels and move the pink runways to their correct location. I then save and close, run Runwayfix.exe and it says that Runway.pod has been updated successfully, however it hasn't! No changes are made to the Runway.pod file and next time I load YPJT into Terramodels the runways are back to their swapped locations.What am I doing wrong, and how do I fix it?Ken.

Ken,That's an interesting situation - I'd like to take a look at the airport this evening, but before I make any suggestions, fill me in on a few details.Are the runways actually in the right places but have incorrect numbers on them?Are the runways in the wrong places AND are incorrectly marked?Do you have information available as to the exact real world geographic location of each runway end, threshold extensions, true headings, and mag. headings?

Randall Rocke

Randall,The runways are correctly marked but are located incorrectly. I have since loaded Terramodels V2.2, however the same situation occurs. Even though Runwayfix.exe says it has changed information in Runway.pod, no changes have actually been made.The only information I could find about the airport is below:RUNWAY INFORMATION: ELEVATION: 99 ft. Runway - 06L/24R Length (ft) - 4567 Displaced Threshold - 06L/390 Width (ft) - 100Runway - 06R/24LLength - 3773Displaced - 24R/479 Width - 60Runway - 12/30Length - 3248Width - 100 BASIC INFORMATION:Name - Jandakot ICAO Code - YPJT Elevation - 99 feet Latitude - S32 05.8 Longtitude - E115 52.9 Magnetic VAR - 2 deg West AVFAX Code 6002 WAC chart 3462 Time Zone UTC+8 Here is some more info, but I don't really know what it means:Movement Area:06L/24R - 058 - 37a PCN11/F/A/1000(145PSI)/T 06R/24L - 058 - 38a PCN7/F/A/1250/T 12/30 - 118 - 32a PCN11/F/A/1000(145PSI)/T I hope this is of some assistance, and thank you for sparing some time for it.Ken

Well Ken, things get stranger and stranger! I took a look at Jandakot and it does indeed appear that the runways (at least by name) are reversed. If you want to see what the problem may be, go check out this web page: http://www.aerochart.com/mapping/chart/apt...cfm?A=7&id=YPJTThis is the listing for YPJT on AeroPlanner.Com, one of the only sites that I've been able to find that will give me some accurate data on airports outside the U.S. Note that the airport overhead graphic and all the details in the boxes below match exactly what you see in Fly!II. I'll take a big leap here and guess that Aeroplanner and TRI got their info from the same source and that source was dyslexic! :-lol I checked the database for this airport and TRI has the runways exactly where AeroPlanner says they are.The best way to move a runway is editing the Runway database and creating a DEX file that will allow anyone to apply the fix properly with DexImport. I can certainly create a DEX that will do this, but I'm a little in the dark as to where to sit the runways and what attributes (lighting, etc.) they have.When you look at the runway details listed on Aeroplanner, which is correct? Is 06L indeed the 4177' runway and 06R the 3773' runway? Is there any way you could obtain the exact lat/lon for each part (runway ends, displaced thresholds, etc.)from the Australian government? If you can get that info, I can make you a DEX that will properly place the runways. Also, is the listed lighting correct or have they reversed that too?

Randall Rocke

Randall,You're quite right, AeroPlanner certainly does have runway 06R/24L incorrectly placed. I found an Australian website which has the correct placement, although there are no coordinates, which may assist in the relocation of 06R/24L http://www.flyingaustralia.com/area03/sect...airport_04.html06L/24R is definately the longer and wider runway, and the lighting information I sent earler came from the Jandakot tower website which you can find at http://www.moby58.org/jandakot/ , so hopefully all the required information is here.I'll keep persisting with Runwayfix.exe in the meantime.Ken.

Ken,Send me your e-mail - I'll make an "eyeball" fix this weekend and send you a DEX.

Randall Rocke

Guest DannyV

Hi Guys,I have a fix for this airport in an Australian Runways DEX file which fixes a stack of runways in Australia. For most airfields here, only the primary runway has lat/longs in the database, with remaining runways defaulting to 0's. Therefore, Fly 2, by default, places the runways north/south as it doesn't know what to do with them...Stay tuned (if you can wait a few weeks...Cheers,Danny VickersAustralian Fly! Group

Danny,Thanks for the info! In this case, the runways all have exact lat/lon entries (except they appear to have been copied from the Aeroplanner data, which is wrong). :-)

Randall Rocke

Well, well. What have we uncovered? The TRI group are definitely in the clear but who would of thought that these official websites would get it wrong? Both www.aeroplanner.com and www.worldaerodata.com have the wrong runway layout and coordinates for YPJT. It's true, you just can't rely on everything you get from the net. Although Jandakot is only a small airport in the world scheme, it has recently been rated the busiest GA airport in the southern hemisphere with around 400,000 movements per annum. I will investigate the correct information from ERSA and pass it on to the above websites.It's been a great learning experience though as I have been studying Voledit and DexImport and think I have worked them out.I look forward to Randy's DEX fix for these runways and perhaps pass them onto other Fly2 enthusiasts training at Jandakot.Ken.