Sign in to follow this  

Terrascenery 2.1 keeps hanging on render

Meco, When you refer to the smaller tga images. Are these the ones that the program puts in the data folder? Also when you say go back and edit them? What is it that you edit? Texture, Color, Density ect...?Oops I have another question that I meant to ask Pascal in the post before this one. Now that I have this one area succesfully rendered. If I want continuation to adjoining areas. I take it I just repeat the process by selecting the global tile next to the existing one that I have done? Kinda like putting a puzzle together. TonyWhy Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.30Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 28.32ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ AUDIO/ATX MB, DDR 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB 4X-AGP

Tony,Congratulations on producing your new scenery! You asked a couple of questions in your posts that I think went unanswered, so here are my opinions.1. Should you leave the new I96 airport in place before you render and slice with TS? Absolutely! If you don't, then Fly2slice won't flatten the surrounding terrain of the airport! Remember, the airport is now a part of the database because you imported the DEX - it is now a part of Fly!II. I96 was fairly flat to begin with, so everything should be fine regardless, but there are many cases where a new (or existing) airport is unuseable because of the uneven terrain. When we leave these airports in place, we can sometimes flatten them with the slicing routine and make them useable.2. Why would we edit the image files? Terrascene never makes a mistake, really, but the data ALWAYS has errors in it. These are usually minor, but sometimes the results can be fairly bad: missing data near waterways will place the default background texture where we don't want it, shorelines will be missing, city textures might be placed in a forest, etc. We use Photoshop and other programs to paint out errors and paint in the correct textures - then, the edited image is sliced into Fly!II for a better result.

Randall Rocke

Ahhhhhhhh I see.... Thanks Randall. Ok a few more questions. I have Photoshop and opened one of the smaller tga files in the output folder within Terrascene. The first one named I96t-1-1 and it I take it is part of my 39X39 area that I rendered. There 15 others named in numerical sequence. I dont suppose there is a simple way of finding which one would hold the area where I-96 is at?Or is it just a process of elimination in finding it?On your first part of post I found out about the flattening process. I had earlier tried to place I96 runway with Terramodel. I could never get it to show up. But here's the weird part. After I was able to get terrascene to work. The runway that you made for me and the one I placed using Teramodel both appeared. The latter one was placed adjoining yours end to end, but mine was about 20 ft off the ground.No markings ,lights, ect. So I just found out where it was in FlyII folders and deleted it. Problem solved. TonyWhy Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.30Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 28.32ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ AUDIO/ATX MB, DDR 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB 4X-AGP

Tony,I've never edited using the smaller images - I've always had enough RAM and power to open the complete image, therefore there was usually no difficulty in locating airport areas.I will be firing up TS again in about 3 weeks to start reproducing the Carolinas, and I could see if there is any pattern to the order of the segments. This sounds like a question for Todd Klaus. If I were to guess, I would think the segments would proceed in 4 horizontal rows of 4 images each - each row running left to right with the first image of each row running top to bottom. If you know what area of the tile you chose to render the airport is in, you might want to open those images first and see if you can tell from the rendered background. Remember, your airport will not appear in these images (strip, etc.) it will be added from the database to sit on top of these images when you start Fly!.

Randall Rocke

Guest Colins2

Hi Randall,The runway can be shown in the render if you import a shapefile with the runway data in it :-)This will help any touch-up work.I assume that one would make a grassy texture area for the airprt boundary or something similar.The runways can be brushed out, because, as you say, Fly! will draw the runways when it runs.Colin

Hi Randall!<>segment order:1-1 1-2 1-3 ...2-1 2-2 2-3 ...3-1 3-2 3-3 ...... (the segments number depends on "max segment size" option)<>The airports area is classified as "Urban-transportation" land type. If you know which texture you choosed for it, you can easily find it.I use to make a small map of the area I will make, with colors or some pattern textures so I can see what land types are there (set 100 m/pixel in project option, for ex.). Transportation is given a very recognizable color:[http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3cf72d413e4b98e7.gif]Train stations and some areas around big roads are given the same color. However it's easy to find the airports.Pascal

<[/i]Yes, you have to delete them! Else Fly! will load two sceneries, the one in the pod and the one in the data folders, not exactly framerate friendly!Maybe you should verify also the displaced data folders, just to be sure there is no "#####" * left from your other tries. If some have many RAW and ACT in them, open the RAW file, and if it's TerraScene, delete it and the ACT with the same name. I don't rememeber if the files have the same name as the scenery project; it should be easy to find them and DELETE them (or the whole data folder).<>Your questions are very clear, makes it easier to help!Pascal* He he, funny, I tried to write "bullsh..." but Mr Avsim replaced it with "####" !

Colin,That is a great idea! How do you make your shapefiles with runway data? Do you use FME or ArcExplorer?

Randall Rocke

Guest Colins2

Hi Randall,Nope, neither of them :-)I have written a program called :-) TerraShape.This will enable you to create the runway shapefiles (amongst other things).It's been beta tested and is just about ready.It will be on my site hopefully this w/e.At present, there is a preliminary version there and a first draft manual in pdf format.I have expanded the manusl more for the release version.Take a look.ColinMy Hangar Site