Sign in to follow this  

Cadd43 project I96 is starting to bring up more questio

It's not uncommon to lose a beacon (or maybe entire scenery sets!) if you have edited scenery (added an item in the editor), saved, then rentered Fly! without first closing Fly!, going to the scenery file in the Data folder and setting the file to Read Only. This prevents Fly! from changing or dumping your work.In my hurry to check out the problems you guys were having, I created a hangar, saved, then restarted Fly! Not only was my hangar gone, but the beacon went with it!I went back into the editor and created the two hangars you see in my post and added the beacon back into the scene. This time I was careful and reset the .S00 file to Read Only. When I restarted Fly!II, everything, including the beacon, was intact.BTW, if you're not certain as to how to dump one (or both) of those airport copies, let me know.

Randall Rocke

Ok I have some good news to report. I took Randalls advise on not starting up when editing in persistant world. This seems to have been the problem we were dealing with. I even went a step further and used taxiway program for FlyII. Its a rough start but Im pleased with the results.Ive progressed from having to land in a grassy field to now having a runway, taxiway and small hanger. Its all coming together rather nicely. Take a look for yourself. :)TonyWhy Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.30Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 28.32ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ AUDIO/ATX MB, DDR 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB 4X-AGP

Hi TonyYours look a bit like mine.Here is a shot from taxiway the next is in Fly II editor and last sitting on the ramp

Meco, What did you use to place taxiway or Tarmac with?But I have been trying to use Taxiway. But its very sensitive in placing and wants precise placement or it will overlap areas and leave grassy areas. Kinda aggrevating. Would it be possible for you to email your data files so I can see if I can use them instead of what I have?Only thing is when I reinstalled terramodels to try and use it. I remembered the placement of the runway was not in the same place as what Randall had sent me to use.So if I try use yours it may not place them inline with my current placement of my runway. Think it over and let me know. TonyWhy Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.30Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 28.32ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ AUDIO/ATX MB, DDR 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB 4X-AGP

TonyI would be happy to send what I have. Just drop me a line atmeco@usaf.comThe Taxiway program is not really hard, just takes some practice and patience. Precise placement is not really required.:-wave

Sounds like you guys are starting to rock - good luck with the rest of your project!

Randall Rocke

Meco, Thanks for the offer being as I did ask... But I think I got the hang of Taxiway now. Also figured out with Randall's advise on how to properly use the editor. It works like a charm now. To all others who may come across this post. Take the time to check your settings in FlyII before you begin to use the editor. Then it will work for you. The shots arent the best angles but, I just wanted something to post here to prove with patience that the FlyII editor will allow you to turn a airport of your choice into something more realistic. I've been up and down with FlyII and almost hung it up all together. IMHO its been worth the time and energy in finally seeing what can be done. Now if I can just get I96 to show up in the comm window for departure,approach, ect.... I will be a satisfied simmer. Thanks again to Colin, Meco, Pascal, Randall and many others too numerous to mention. FlyII isnt washed up as long as people will just give it time to all come together. No need to flame cause it wont change my mind. :)TonyWhy Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.30Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 28.32ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ AUDIO/ATX MB, DDR 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB 4X-AGP

Thanks Randall, We wouldnt be rocking with out yours and others help with this. Take a look at the previous post for the results. I thing I have the hang of it now!!!!!!! :)TonyWhy Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.30Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 28.32ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ AUDIO/ATX MB, DDR 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB 4X-AGP

That's great Tony!BTW - Now that you're getting the feel of the built-in editor, you might want to set these scenery files aside in a safe place (just move the data folder to a backup area) and try to set up the same airport with Terramodels. I'm looking forward to working with Allen's great program later this summer - from everything I've seen Allen has put together a fantastic scenery creation tool that allows you to build your airports/cities with less polygons than Fly's own models.This translates into scenery that is far more "frame friendly".

Randall Rocke

RandallYou are ever so correct.TerraModels is a wonderful piece of work, especially for someone like me (I just don