Sign in to follow this  

For those who have added airports...

I'm trying to add a private strip on my family's ranch. I've followed many posts in here and read tutorials, but still I'm left w/ a few questions. Here are the steps I've taken so far:1) In VolEdit, load the airports.pod and added my airstrip's info as a new line entry2) Export the new line as a dex file3) Open runways.pod in voledit and add an entry for the airstrip4) Run DexImport 1.2 and first import the DEX file for the airport5) Now import the DEX file for the runwayHere is what I'm getting:1) The runway appears more or less ok, but when I teleport there, the airplane is about 1000 feet off the ground and falling fast!2) I'm certain that I've entered the correct elevation in the runway and airport lines (920 feet).3) The airport is indeed placed properly on the ground. And if I use the slew function to carefully place the aircraft on the ground, I am indeed at 920 feet.Any ideas? I also have these questions:* The Airport and Runway IDs are unique. Can I just choose any value for these? I'm assuming the Airport ID must be the same in the airport and runway definitions.* I noticed in a previous post, that you can set the pavement type to "treated." I'd like to do so, but VolEdit reports an invalid entry when I put the large integer specified in the previous post.* Some values like traffic are supposed to be 'L' or 'R' but voledit reports an error when I input these characters.I'd love any input you folks could give me...Dan

Also...how do I delete an airport once added with DexImport?Thanks!Dan

Guest Colins2

Dan,Not too sure about why you end up 1000 feet or so in the air, but have you tried teleporting to a nearby airport and then flying to your new airport?Airport and runway IDs must be unique, but you should be able to choose more or less any value. The fact that you can see it in Fly! suggests that what you have done is correct.I'm not sure about the 'treated' runway. There are lot's of values that don't have any meaning, though. From memory, just the first 4 values work.'L' & 'R' can be entered as 76 and 82 respectively, i.e. the hex values for the characters you want.Hopefully Randall will have some clue about the elevation problem.Colin

Just use last version of VolEdit 1.12 (ID 13141) and last of DEXImport 1.2 (ID 12835).In VolEdit you can mark a record to be deleted, create a dex with that record and then use Deximport. That's allDidierAuthor of VolEdit[http://www.simvol.org/fly/Logos/logodidier.jpg]

>* I noticed in a previous post, that you can set the >pavement type to "treated." I'd like to do so, but VolEdit >reports an invalid entry when I put the large integer >specified in the previous post. which value did you try to enter ? Tell me the exact name of the record. VolEdit accept 32 signed integer (+2147483648/-2147483648)>* Some values like traffic are supposed to be 'L' or 'R' but >voledit reports an error when I input these characters. You have to way to enter L/R value.If you are in the column mode (this one when you open VolEdit) you must enter integer value (L=76 and R=82) but if you double click on your record then a right click on the value of pattern direction then you can enter letter value.DidierAuthor of VolEdithttp://www.simvol.org/fly/Logos/logodidier.jpg

Dan & Colin,I'm guessing this a surrounding elevation problem. If you go to some airports in Fly!II you will find parts of them off the ground (you'll be sitting apparently in mid air) and some runway parts "below" the ground" - you'll literally sink right through it. :-(I have two such airports I'm working on right now - one I made and one that already existed in Fly!II. The surrounding terrain for both airports is very "unlevel", so right now, they are really unuseable. I will need to flatten the terrain around the airport so that the runway and the ground are at the same level.I'm trying to Terrascene the 1/4 tiles these airports are sitting on, with the hope that fly2slice will then flatten the terrain. If that doesn't work, then I'll have to use the "Flattenator" program.

Randall Rocke

I'm using 2147483648 as the pavement type. I got that number from this chart on a previous post:--------------------------------------------------------Runway Surface Type (add values for combined types)--------------------------------------------------------kTypeUnknown = 0kTypeConcrete = 1kTypeAsphalt = 2kTypeTurf = 4kTypeDirt = 8kTypeGravel = 16kTypeMetal = 32kTypeSand = 64kTypeWood = 128kTypeWater = 256kTypeMats = 512kTypeSnow = 1024kTypeIce = 2048kTypeBrick = 4096kTypeGrooved = 1073741824kTypeTreated = 2147483648Dan

Dear RandallLet me ask you 2 things:1.-Can I use flattenator to make just a elevation of 300 to 500ft hill close to my country main airport?2.-Did you ever tried to change the AI pattern with Voledit, cause I couldn't,Any tips , really appreciate. Cesar

Dannol,You are right, there is a bug in VolEdit. To enter this value of 2147483648, just use the initial grid at the openning of VolEdit. Don't use the extended one obtained by a double click on a record.Didier

Sorry DannolThere is another bug with that integer value. I'm working for a patch.Didier

Thanks Didier for your help on VolEdit. I'm very happy to have a program like that and it does so much to simplify adding airports. With all the great input from ROTW, I'm starting to think I need to learn French to get all I can out of FlyII! :)Meco...you're response about flattening w/ Terrascene got me a lot further toward a final solution -- thanks! Now the only problem I have is that terrascene for my airport doesn't match the surrounding terrascene scenery. Does terrascene create different scenery now that I have an aiport there?I also have another terrascene question: Does it create problems to terrascene overlapping areas? Right now I've terrascened using nautical miles around two airports. I think these sceneries overlap -- will this cause problems?One other question. This is a private strip and has no runway numbers. But it does have an 'R' on each end of the runway. Can I set it up this way in voledit?Otherwise, I'm moving along well in my project. A few fixes and adding buildings w/ TerraModels and I'll be done!DannoL

Usually, overlapping sceneries in TS will cause one or the other to not load. Meco is on the right track - don't make adjoining sceneries unless they are at least a full 1/4 tile each (snap to grid).If you want to make smaller sceneries that's fine, but don't ever expect you'll be able to match up adjoining tiles or extend the sceneries, etc.

Randall Rocke

Got it. Great advice. I was indeed creating less than 1/4 tile.Dan