Sign in to follow this  
dkohl

Todd Klaus: Are you there? TS Question

Hey Todd - where have you been? I hope you're not here b/c you're out flying your real plane. I have a TerraScene question. I rendered the greater Detriot area yesterday, which includes a chunk of a lake just south of "ONZ" airport. There clearly must be a lack of USGS data for some areas in this area of the globe tile. See my attached screenshots - taken while flying over ONZ looking West and then South.I know you had been playing around with the code in TerraScene so that when there is no data, TS will not simply put generic ground textures in place. I think that's what's happening here.Any news on addressing this behavior in TerraScene? -DK----Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

That looks like Fly's generic scenery, not the TS2 background texture... Are you sure that's not Canada on the other side of the river? It looks like the TS2 scenery just ends there. What do you see in the TS2 image?Todd

DK,I would second Todd in that you are probably looking at Canadian territory there, with, of course, no USGS data. Border areas can be complex. I would study the tutorial relating to Canadian scenery-making, and mix in the shapefiles for that Canadian area with your USGS data to get a more acceptable image.With a little work (mixing data and manually retouching the images) you can get good results along a border.

Randall Rocke

Hmm... I didn't realize Canada came so far south near Detriot. Good geography lesson.I attached my TSP and a screen shot of the TS window. I guess this confirms it. Any suggestions if I want to create TS scenery for Detriot?I have a suggestion for a feature improvement. I have no idea what it would take from a coding perspective. Could TS have a "flag" that would automatically "trim" the shape of the area to be TerraScened where no 7.5M DEMs exist? Where none exist, TS would simply leave the default areas - effectively creating a "hole" in the scenery tile allowing Fly to populate that missing square with whatever default scenery would have been there? Just a thought.-DK----Fly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest Richard Hill

Todd;I have posted two questions, one today and one about 4 subjects below this one. Any response would be greatly appreciated...Richard;

Unfortunately, there is no way to do this in Fly that I know of, since all add-on scenery must be rectangular. There is no way to define a 'hole' in the scenery :(Todd

I get a big white rectangle where Detroit touches Canada and again near Gross Isle. Can I somehow reinstall the orginal texture without having to delte FlyII and reninstall it. Also where is the TerraScene Manual. I can.t find it anywhere.

When you install Terrascene 2.1, it creates a menu group in your menu system called TerraScene Scenery Generation System v2.0. Under that menu you will find the executable, TS links, and a menu link: TerraScene Manual. You will note that the manual location is ..TerraScene2docmanual.pdf.The best way to handle the border situation is to render the Canadian side with shapefiles while using USGS for the US side. If you want to start over, simply remove the PODs and SCF file you made from the Scenery folder and the default scenery will be back.

Randall Rocke