Sign in to follow this  
Guest Colins2

Sinking runways wanted!!!

Guest Colins2

Hi,Can you folks supply me with some details of airports where the planes 'sink' into the runways?I'm assuming that these will be on or near a coastline/lake shore.Can you also include the tile number.I have extracted the coastline data into an editable form, but I want to check some more things out before I go any further.ThanksColin

Colin,Although I have not validated it, I do remember seeing posts that Boston-Logan and Westchester Co (KHPN) as having sinking runways.Regards,

Colin,You will also sink through runways in hilly and mountainous terrain where the tiles the runway sits on are not flat.As far as "coastal sinking" is concerned, Nice would be a prime candidate. Most of the runway and taxiway system is on water. I'm away from home right now, so I can't look up the tile number.

Randall Rocke

I believe this problem was fixed in v230. The only sinking runways that will still exist will be where scenery was created with prior versions. For example, if one uses the TerraScened / TerraModeled scenery avail in the AVSIM library for PDX (Portland OR), the runways sink. HPN is fixed if one re-creates the ground textures or uses the default TRI scenery. I fly there all the time.-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Randall,You're right to distinguish the two different causes. Thanks for pointing out the case of Nice.Colin,From your post, I suppose you are interested in ruways that lay on water. In this case, (Nice for example), the runway is still solid, but you sink on the taxiways, and everywhere outside the runway.It's a GREAT new that you have found a way to edit the coastlines!I can just remember the numerous calls for help in the forum about this problem. If you can do this, Andy might finally be able to finish his scenery, and this means a lot to those who have seen his screenshots!Best Regards!Pascal

Guest Colins2

Hi Randall,Thanks for the reply.I'd heard about Nice, but I wanted some different ones also.I can't do anything about the non-flat runways, they're a different problem, I'm just interested in the water-based problem airports.Colin

Guest Colins2

Hi Pascall,Do you know which airports Andy is having problems with?Colin

Guest Colins2

Thanks Jim,I'll check those ones.Colin

Guest ben_

ColinI'll jump in here in case Pascal or Andy don't come back for while.Ron Young's RealAir site has a preview of the scenery:"Andy Dale's NZ SceneryWe're proud (REALAIR) to present screenshots from Andy Dale's upcoming freeware NZAA scenery for Fly!II. In Andy's own words:"The scenery is around 30x30 kilometres, I call it 'approach scenery', I wanted a more realistic approach path and have only concentrated on the scenery which follows the eastwest approach path into Auckland INTL Airport. In particular, the last 10 miles straight-in approach to runway 05 at NZAA, the airport will have custom models and a new taxiway system."There will also be several points of interest, including a hilly crop duster dirt strip with a 1000 ft vertical cliff at the end, its a lot of fun screaming down the strip and dropping off the edge. This is well suited for the Citabria and smaller aircraft, also, there will be an aerobatic area south of NZAA, excellent for the Decathlon."North of NZAA is the city of Auckland, this will be very generic as I am only interested in the approach path to NZAA, so don`t expect too much attention to detail in that area. "For more information Andy can be contacted at: andydale@xtra.co.nzHope Rob doesn't mind my 'borrowing' his words :-)Ben

Guest ben_

ColinI'm not sure if Danny Vickers was also having trouble with Sydney's Kingsford Smith Intl?Ben

Guest DannyV

Hi Colin,Try Singapore Changi as well. WSSS from memory.Cheers,Danny Vickers

I too have been trying to place a new runway on a tile that isn't flat. From the posts here, am I to understand that there is simply no way to get this right in Fly! II? Knowing that this was an impossible task would certainly stop me from a lot of wasted effort.So to be perfectly clear...could someone tell me if the following is true or false:Fly! II does not support runways on tiles that are not perfectly flat.Thanks!Dan

Dan,Not quite - runways you place on hilly or mountainous terrain will not be useable until you flatten the terrain. The steps I would recommend are:1. Make the airport and runway2. Render the tile the runway sits on in Terrascene3. When this scenery is sliced by the Fly! slicer (Build 230), the terrain the runway sits on should be flattened. With the runway now on level ground, you should no longer sink through (or be held above) the runway. This technique can also be used to recover existing Fly! airports that are currently unuseable because of the terrain.Option - Use the "Flattenator" program if you don't want to use Terrascene for that area.

Randall Rocke

The runways appear fine, but parts of the airport terminal are floating in mid-air. Thought you might want to check it out.-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 512MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

G'day Colin,Mate both Sydney runways over water are solid! It's the taxiways over water that sink the aircraft.Cheers,Roger @YSSY