Sign in to follow this  

Why does the Debonair fly so well?

Okay, so maybe that sounds stupid, but inquiring minds want to know :>) This little plane flies so sweet and gentle that it makes everything else seem like piloting a brick. Are the secrets contained in the cfg? If so, are they something that can be applied to other craft, or do they have more to do with the weight and balance of this particular vehicle?As much as I love flying the Deb (and thank you thank you thank you to those who created and tested it) I do like to fly something that can land where the Deb can't -- on water (sometimes there just *are* no airports ). I only wish any of the amphibs flew half as nice as this little plane.

I wish I knew-thank Michael Verlin. I do have an expert who very generously volunteered to rework the flight model for the next version-it should be more faithful. It will be difficult to keep the nice handling while improving some of the numbers/performance-hopefully we can get both.Funny you should mention water...another project in mind. :-)http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif

That's not a stupid question at all. I think the answer is knowledge, commitment, and a love for your work. The Deb is the result of an abundance of all three. David

Guest artl

>... for the next version-it should be more faithful. It will be >difficult to keep the nice handling ...>I assume you are talking about the climb rates and take-off roll-length when you "complain"about the faithfulness.... The big difference between your deb and all other flighsim a/c (on my machine, anyway) isis that most of them (all?) are such dogs in slow speed flight, in those 10 or 20 knots over stall speed. Control of the deb is so sweet all the way down to stall, it makes me wonder how close it can be to reality :-) Art.

Guest ront1

David, I was just thinking the same thing.Ron

I have to say that the way the Deb floats down to the runway is about as good a reproduction of ground effect as I have ever seen in a simulator. I recall the way the cessna 150 I flew would float down and that is a high wing, but still would get ground effect, especially on a hot day, with the heat rising from the concrete. Please don't lose that great true-to-life aspect!!! What a pleasure it is!I'll add my thanks again!

Geoff,Ya wouldn't be thinking of a Lake Renegade 270 Turbo for your next project, would ya? Say yes.Jeff