Sign in to follow this  
Guest Richard Hill

Fly!2 Import Scenery ( TerraScene) HELP

Guest Richard Hill

OK I quit trying to get the Flyslicer to respond from TerraScene.What steps do I need to make to use the Scenery Import?I have my Subdevide Density set to 8I have my Subdevide Tolerance set to 100I have all my Texture options set in TerraScene and the .TGA files are the way I want them.1. Can I use the TerraScene output *.txt file?2. What are the other settings I should be sure to have?I have tried two or three times to use the Import Scenery option but the POD is less 1/10th 25-30 MB of a tile done through TerraScene 340 MB+I try and fly the pod that the Scenery Importer makes only to get a message that it can not find XXXXXXX.RAW and shuts down.Should I have to unpod the Generic.POD ?I enjoy Fly, but even after reinstalling Fly12 updating to 2.30, reinstalling TerraScene 2 to 2.1 on the same drive, with limited sucess, (I was only able to do 6 tiles before the nasty FlySlice Not Responding came back. I have 6+ GB free space on the drive.I defrag every time I make a tile. AMD Athlon 1.4 GHzWD 7200 RPM 40 GB HDWindows XP512 MD PC133 SDRAM

Guest Colins2

Hi Richard,FWIW, I never get TS2 to call Flyslice, I always do it myself later.This is mainly because of a bug in the slicer when slicing tiles on the meridian.>OK I quit trying to get the Flyslicer to respond from >TerraScene. >>What steps do I need to make to use the Scenery Import? I do this from the built-in editor>>I have my Subdevide Density set to 8 >I have my Subdevide Tolerance set to 100 >I have all my Texture options set in TerraScene and the .TGA >files are the way I want them. When you sat TGA Files, I take it you mean just 3 files?xxx.tga (day time) xxxW.tga(water mask) and xxxN.tga (night).>>1. Can I use the TerraScene output *.txt file? You more-or-less 'have' to use the TS2 generated .txt file >2. What are the other settings I should be sure to have? These are optional and can be set from within TS2, things like colour depth etc., but the 'enhanced' generic textures make this better anyway. >>I have tried two or three times to use the Import Scenery >option but the POD is less 1/10th 25-30 MB of a tile done >through TerraScene 340 MB+ >>I try and fly the pod that the Scenery Importer makes only >to get a message that it can not find XXXXXXX.RAW and shuts >down. >>Should I have to unpod the Generic.POD ? definitely not>>I enjoy Fly, but even after reinstalling Fly12 updating to >2.30, reinstalling TerraScene 2 to 2.1 on the same drive, >with limited sucess, (I was only able to do 6 tiles before >the nasty FlySlice Not Responding came back. Flyslice not responding is a new one on me. I haven't seen that before.>>I have 6+ GB free space on the drive. Should be plenty>>I defrag every time I make a tile. I don't, but it can't hurt.>>AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz >WD 7200 RPM 40 GB HD >Windows XP >512 MD PC133 SDRAM I have an almost identical setup.What TS2 does:TS2 only creates the tga files from your data and generates the appropriate .txt file. Nothing else.There are options n the main TS2 screen to set Fly!/Fly!2 and also to 'Make a POD' and to start the slicer automatically, but these are options.If you select Fly!2, then the latest version of TS2 will generate a new style txt file. This can incorporate the newer features such as colour depth etc. whereas the older type of txt file is different.TS2 will start the slicer (if you tell it to) using the generated txt file which points to the tga images. From the point of starting the slicer, the slicer takes over and TS2 is doing nothing any more.To use the scenery importer manually, just deselect the TS2 option to start the slicer.Start Fly!2, teleport somewhere other than your scenery area - anywhere so long as it is more than a couple of tiles away, so that the borders of your tile and the surrounding tiles do not come into where you are sitting. (This may or may not be necessary, but it stopped my problems, and can't hurt).Start the editor which will start at your teleported position and select the import function. Browse to the appropriate txt file (the one created nt TS2) and all the appropriate boxes should be filled in from the slicer reading your txt file.It's your choice if you want to pod the scenery or not, but given the problems you are having, I wouldn't bother for now. The slicer will grind away for as long as it takes and hopefully generate your sliced textures in the ..Fly!2dataDxxxzzz folder. For a complete tile with just day and water tiles there should be over 16000 files. The slicer will generate a log file as it goes in the Fly!2 root directory called slicelog.txt, a simple text file that can be read with Notepad. If the slicer doesn't complete then you can read the log file to see where it stopped, and maybe why.If it does (hopefully) complete, you can Fly! the area just from your data directory. Just be aware that loading times will be greatly increased, to the extent that you may think that the computer has frozen. This is normal and won't happen once the data is podded.Hope this helps.If it doesn't, can you post the last few entries of the slicelog.txt file so that we can read them?Colin

Guest Richard Hill

Colin;Thanks fo the reply. I have tried the water but in my area West Virginia where the elevation changes very often my lakes ARE NOT FLAT, and I do not get the water effects. I wish someone had made a tutorial dealing with the water mask and its effects. I wish that Fly!2 would be able to distinguish water areas from the data and flatten the water areas. There is no need to land on a lake for example and go up and down hills where it should be flat.I will give your suggestions a try and let you know how they turned out.If you want to send me any suggestions, please feel free to email me at;richardlhll@wmconnect.comRichard L Hill