Sign in to follow this  

Anyone want a Panel Maker???...

Guest Fly II Pilot

Matthew,Regarding the switches, I was thinking about different ways to approach this.As you know, the switches -although they could be just a know or a light switch, etc.- are a series of square or rectangular bitmaps which together create the animation or movement. This being the case, even though there could be a single color for the switch, button or know itself, the background would change depending on what panel or aircraft their mounted on (e.g. on the MD-80 the background may be greenish vs. the 757 where it would be brownish).Furthermore, depending on where you place the switch, and how close or far from the pilot's position it is, the size and perspective will change. This, of course, if we want the panels to look like the ones we're already used to.To address the background issue, a switch or gauge editor could be created, a graphics program and graphic types converters could be used (as it is currently done) or a library with different colors and perspectives could be created.The switch or gauge editor would allow you to make custom swithes with more functionality, custom labels, etc. You would still need a library of knobs, buttons and switches and a way to change their orientation, perspective and size. After creating the panel itself (on which the different instruments will be mounted) you would set the position, orientation and size of the knob, switch, etc. using a selection box. After confirming the position, the background within the selection box would be copied and used for the item's background.With the library, you would first select the color, then position the switch, button, knob, etc. with your mouse, then with the arrow keys (for example) you would adjust the perspective and finally adjust the size (or distance from the pilot's view). Maybe with just the 10 basic orientations (look at the number pad) would suffice.Enough, back to reality and planet Earth...(to be continued...)Alejandro AmigorenaSyracuse, NYAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMGeForce 3 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Yes it is a great idea. Please continue!

I believe a Panel Maker will be a nice help to make planes very quickly. Many compliments for this beautiful idea.Giorgio gnesda

Guest Fly II Pilot

Matthew:Is this still in the works? If so, do you have any early previews?Take care,Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMGeForce 3 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Hi Matthew, This would be a HUGE help to someone like me - who wants to contribute back, but has absolutely NO graphical abilities what-so-ever! I for one would be most grateful for a tool such as you propose! Many thanks for thinking of it, and here's hoping you'll get enough encouragement to go ahead with the project. Still waiting on that DC-10 . Hawaiian Air, anyone?? ;-)Best and Cheers,Ken WoodCNN International Weather :-sun1

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Hi Guys,The panel maker is still in the works.... in fact I did some work on it last Saturday. However, it's progressing very slowly at the because I'm very, very busy with real world commitments at the moment. It is also taking longer than I originally anticipated, because I found a problem with resource usage when over 200 or so gauges were added to the panels. I do have some good news, in that someone has offered to help me code the 'modular' parts of it (mainly in adding the 100 plus gauge definitions to the code) so that will be really helpful and speed things along somewhat.Thanks for the interest and hang on in there!! :-)Cheers,Matthew.

Guest Fly II Pilot

Matthew:All I wanted to know is if you were still working on it. Doesn't matter when, I can wait...Glad to hear you're getting some help!Thanks a lot!Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMGeForce 3 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB