Sign in to follow this  
dkohl

Request for Colorado TerraModels, Airports, Etc.

I have TerraScened most of the Colorado Rockies - beautiful VFR scenery. However, with the exception of Aspen, and the "Insane Denver" model packs, I cannot find any other airports.Anyone with a love of modeling - how about filling in some of the other Rocky Mountain and Denver area airports, including KDEN. I'd even suggest replacing some of the airports represented in "Insane" since the pack contains so many models that poly-counts prevent me from using it.By the way, if you want to get some nice TerraScene scenery for the Rockies, consider downloading my "Grand Canyon" pack, which has some custom-selected textures for the mountains. I've found the subtle texture changes make the Rockies more realistic looking. Of course, use TerraScene to actually generate the textures and PODs.Thanks all.-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

I'm an avid Colorado flier as well. The Centennial Airport (KAPA) add-on is great if you don't already have it. I've been thinking about creating models for another - JeffCo (BJC). I'll let you know when I complete it. More would be great to fly around this state...Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, etc. I've been working on California airports, but now that you reminded me of my beloved home state, perhaps I'll focus my attention back on Colorado. Anyone else working on Colorado projects?http://home.earthlink.net/~finsdad/FlyII/p...s/avsim_sig.jpgDan

There is a slight problem with APA. If you TerraScene the Denver area, you'll find that about just at one edge of APA (can't recall which edge) near the far runway turnoff, there is a rather steep dropping incline, and so the taxiways and runway "hang" off the edge. It makes using that airport and runway impossible (although its a great picture to see a B777 trying to do a 45-degree hill up after the drop on full thrust -- I'll post it next time I get a chance to fly there).So someone with more skills than I needs to move the airport about 50 feet or so away from this drop.Let me know if you get around to KDEN, KEGE and some other Rocky Mountain airfields. -DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Scratch that! I checked out APA this evening and discovered that the buildings and taxiways are all on level ground. Now I am wondering which airport I experienced the "hanging models" problem.Well, looking forward to more Denver-area airports. Sorry for the confusion above.-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v28.83, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest Eagle

Give me some Airport ID's for Colorado and I will work on them.

KEGE (Eagle County), KDEN (Denver Int'l) are two off the top of my head. If you have some time, pull up Fly and search for several in the Rockies since that area has beautiful VFR scenery. It'd be nice to do short hops from airport to airport in the rockies.Also, consider KGCN (Grand Canyon), as well as Yellowstone Park. Flights between the Rockies and Salt Lake City would be great. These airports are on or near the flight plan.-DK----David KohlFly! II v230Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v29.42, WinXP Home Edition.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Leadville might be interesting because it is so high. Leadville (KLXV) is a small airport in the rockies about halfway between Denver and Aspen. At nearly 10,000 ft, it is the highest airport in North America and the third highest in the world! Their website (http://www.leadvilleairport.com) has a lot of info. Sounds like fun to fly short hops between Leadville and Aspen. Some might recognize the aircraft in the picture below, sitting on the runway at KLXV.

Guest Eagle

Leadville is a beautiful Airport, but it is not in the Fly II database and so I can do nothing as far as scenery.

I didn't realize that. I'll work on getting the airport added and share the dex file. Flight clubs here in Denver often test your mountain flying ability by sending you on a route that takes you to Granby (near rocky mtn national park) -> Glenwood Springs -> Aspen -> Leadville -> Denver. It would be fun to do that route in Fly II. I guess Leadville is the missing link!

Guest Eagle

Dan:I must apologize for misleading you. There is a LXV airport in the Fly II data base. It is Lake County Airport in Colorado. If that is the same as Leadville, I will go to work on it.Can you give me the airport ID for Granby and Glenwood Springs?

I can recommend the flight from Colorado Springs to Montrose (MTJ) via VOR HBU near Gunnison (GUC). Past the IAF at Bruuk, there is a nice procedure turn to intercept the ILS approach. Another good trip is from Jeffco to Walker Field (GJT) at Grand Junction. From the JNC vor you can pick up a DME arc to intercept the approach. Some time ago I posted the dex updates (ColoILSv2)under Navigation to install the missing ILS for MTJ, GUC, and Garfield Co Rgl (RIL) at Rifle. Unfortunately, fly limits the glideslopes to 3 degrees, which is only appropriate for MTJ.Thought you might like to see the screenshots for 1) approaching HBU very near GUC; 2) proc turn after Bruuk; 3) final approach to MTJ; 4) turning towards JNC in preparation for approach into GJT.

Guest Eagle

I will work on these as soon as I finish the ones for Dan.

Thanks Wayne! I just noticed you posted Grandby already. I've downloaded it and will try it out. It will make a nice addition to your Aspen.

Guest Eagle

Glenwood Springs is also at AVSIM somewhere. I am going to make some changes to Aspen since I have additional information on the airport. Should be up sometime this week.